Joey Barton

JJ7

Guest Stephen927

i'll lose a small bit or respect for shearer if he keeps and plays barton.

And I'd gain a lot more respect for him if he can get him to take a wage cut and lead the charge back into the Premiership, as unlikely as it is that any manager out there could 'tame' Joey Barton.

Not if Barton accepts a massive wage slashing.

Man, he's only wanting to stay here because he's on a massive wage. Remember the loyalty bonus he demanded from Man City? If he cuts his massive salary he could go to Blackburn or Bolton or wherever the fools are who want him.

I just can't see Shearer wanting him, once you mess with Shearer you're finished I reckon, as for them talking I would guess the conversation would be very short indeed.

I'm telling you he's hoping for Kinnear back so he can pick up his 60k per week.

Of course the most obvious thing to do, in respect to seeing if Barton is genuinely sorry for his actions and does in fact feel some responsibility for our relegation and again, genuinely wants to help us back up, is to take a 50% wage cut and prove he means what he says.

The same can be said of Smith and the likes.

By the way i'm not saying i want Smith and co. to stay, i would just like them to back up their words with some actions (for once).

Guest The Libertine

And I'd gain a lot more respect for him if he can get him to take a wage cut and lead the charge back into the Premiership, as unlikely as it is that any manager out there could 'tame' Joey Barton.

normally i'd agree but he doesnt deserve the chance even with a wage cut. there's no doubting he's a decent player but he's also the biggest liability we've had in ages (possibly ever?) and thats quite an achievement. we just dont need the extra aggro he's sure to provide.

we would have definitely stayed up if Barton hadn't got suspended

:undecided:

Right...which is why the over-paid scumbag needs to go, he wasn't there when we needed him most.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/5526418/Newcastle-pay-Joey-Barton-675000-a-year-for-image-rights.html

Newcastle pay Joey Barton £675,000 a year for image rights

The extent of Newcastle United's disastrous management in recent seasons can be exposed by The Sunday Telegraph with the revelation that the club is still paying their notorious midfielder, Joey Barton, £675,000 per year for his image rights.

Newcastle are desperate to reduce their wage bill and this weekend owner Mike Ashley has been in discussions to sell the club for £100 million.

But prospective buyers will be concerned that Barton, who spent 11 weeks in prison last summer for common assault and affray, has the highest "image rights" deal at the club according to a well-placed source.

Barton's deal was agreed in June 2007, before his jail term, but at a time when he was being investigated by the police for his attack on his then Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo.

City had been close to sacking him in 2004 after he accidentally stubbed out a cigar in the eye of a youth team player Jamie Tandy at their Christmas party and in 2005 he was sent home from a summer tour of Thailand after a fight with a 15-year-old Everton fan. For his attack on Dabo in May 2007, which left the Frenchman heavily bruised and with a suspected detached retina, Barton received a four-month suspended sentence. He signed for Newcastle the month after the assault, just days before Ashley took over complete control at St James' Park.

Last December he was arrested outside a McDonald's restaurant in Liverpool and subsequently sentenced to six months in prison for common assault and affray. During the 11 weeks he served in prison Barton would have earned £143,000 for his image rights on his contractual terms. The club did, however, fine him for his misdemeanours.

This season, having recovered from injury to help Newcastle's failed efforts to avoid relegation, he was rashly sent off in a crucial game with Liverpool and had to be restrained in a post-match confrontation with interim manager Alan Shearer. The club explored the possibility of sacking him for his actions but are now desperately trying to find a buyer for a player whose total earnings come to nearly £65,000 per week.

With Michael Owen at the end of his contract, Barton's image rights payments – which work out at roughly £13,000 a week – are believed to be at least £200,000 higher than those of his best paid team-mates. While most high profile players receive just over 10 per cent of their basic salary, Barton, whose contract runs until 2012, is paid just over 20 per cent.

When a player signs for a club he has two options. Either he seeks to profit from selling his own image rights, or he lets the club use his image in exch­ange for an annual payment. This payment goes into the player's 'image company', many of which are based offshore. Almost all players opt for the latter.

:facepalm:

Guest itsTosh

Does anybody know how this "image rights" thing works? Am I right in thinking that every time a picture of the player appears in a newspaper or on tv, then a payment is made; and in this case the payment is made to the club. If that is right, then over the last couple of years, the club might actually have made something back from the thug.

Does anybody know how this "image rights" thing works? Am I right in thinking that every time a picture of the player appears in a newspaper or on tv, then a payment is made; and in this case the payment is made to the club. If that is right, then over the last couple of years, the club might actually have made something back from the thug.

so all this time he's been making the papers for our benefit! I think we've all got some apologising to do.

• 3 weeks later...
Birmingham want Newcastle bad boy Joey Barton on loan - Alan Nixon, The Mirror

Birmingham boss Alex McLeish is offering to pay £25,000 a week to Newcastle to take Joey Barton on loan for the season.

The package will be considered by the rudderless Toon outfit once they have a new owner and manager – and while it is the best escape route for them it is still less than HALF of what Barton earns.

So if McLeish gets the nod to take on the fiery midfielder for the Blues’ return to the top flight it will mean that relegated Newcastle must still pick up around £2million of his salary.

Birmingham have short-listed Barton along with Rangers and Scotland star Barry Ferguson and even Patrick Vieira as possibles for their midfield leader role. The

St Andrews club would be happy to take on Barton for a year at the cost of around £1.3m, but do not want to buy him.

Barton is quite happy to stay on Tyneside but could be forced out if Alan Shearer – or any other manager – refuses to play him.

The Barton problem is just one of many at Newcastle where a handful of players are fancied on loan by rival clubs – like Kevin Nolan – who need Toon to ‘sponsor’ those deals because of the size of the salaries.

I hope we don't end up paying any of the wages for players who leave. Look what that did to Leeds.

Birmingham want Newcastle bad boy Joey Barton on loan - Alan Nixon, The Mirror

Birmingham boss Alex McLeish is offering to pay £25,000 a week to Newcastle to take Joey Barton on loan for the season.

The package will be considered by the rudderless Toon outfit once they have a new owner and manager – and while it is the best escape route for them it is still less than HALF of what Barton earns.

So if McLeish gets the nod to take on the fiery midfielder for the Blues’ return to the top flight it will mean that relegated Newcastle must still pick up around £2million of his salary.

Birmingham have short-listed Barton along with Rangers and Scotland star Barry Ferguson and even Patrick Vieira as possibles for their midfield leader role. The

St Andrews club would be happy to take on Barton for a year at the cost of around £1.3m, but do not want to buy him.

Barton is quite happy to stay on Tyneside but could be forced out if Alan Shearer – or any other manager – refuses to play him.

The Barton problem is just one of many at Newcastle where a handful of players are fancied on loan by rival clubs – like Kevin Nolan – who need Toon to ‘sponsor’ those deals because of the size of the salaries.

I hope we don't end up 'sponsoring' any of the players wages who leave. Look what that did to Leeds.

As shit as it would be, its better than having Seth Johnson on the books tbh

That Barton to Birmingham story has been going around for the last week.

Today's Mail reckons he wants to stay and see what happens here first.

I'm sure he does want to stay (on his current contract). Will the manager when we get one want to keep him though? Surely the players who want to stay but the manager doesn't want would move for less money if it was made clear to them that they weren't wanted and would be in the reserves for a year?

Guest Stephen927

Barton needs the right manager to guide him. If Hughton is managing him then I don't think it'll be long before he is in bother again.

That Barton to Birmingham story has been going around for the last week.

Today's Mail reckons he wants to stay and see what happens here first.

I'm sure he does want to stay (on his current contract). Will the manager when we get one want to keep him though? Surely the players who want to stay but the manager doesn't want would move for less money if it was made clear to them that they weren't wanted and would be in the reserves for a year?

If it's true that he'll be getting the same pay only paid by 2 clubs, then surely for him you'd have thought he'd go to Birminghm rather than stay here?