Joey Barton

JJ7

Depends totally on the ref IMO... But, joey just has to get on with it, probably something called Karma... Won't go on for ever you know if he keeps up the performances like that against wolves.

The thing is tho, i dont remember Joey Barton really going out that often and nailing people....There was that semi crap tackle on Alsno in our releagtion season and then he was missing for a lot of the promotion season and not visible to the prem league.

Seems to just be a hate figure for his off field history rather then on field football imo.

Depends totally on the ref IMO... But, joey just has to get on with it, probably something called Karma... Won't go on for ever you know if he keeps up the performances like that against wolves.

The thing is tho, i dont remember Joey Barton really going out that often and nailing people....There was that semi crap tackle on Alsno in our releagtion season and then he was missing for a lot of the promotion season and not visible to the prem league.

Seems to just be a hate figure for his off field history rather then on field football imo.

I'm not sure about that. He has shown a spiteful streak where he loses his head - sometimes out of retaliation but sometimes out of frustration. His foot then goes very high, as if he not only wants to hurt someone but wants to make it clear that's what he's doing. It's the mentality of the mouthy park footballer really, who at times cares more about his own little private battles than the interests of his team.

Having said that, the bloke does seem to have made strides in acquiring more self-control, on and off the pitch. I think he's still going to have the odd wobble, but generally I think we're in for a good season from him, and at his best he's capable of transforming an entire team.

It's amusing how players like Scholes and even our very own Alan Smith get away week in week out with "honest" challenges that involve studs flying into opposition players' kneecaps at 100mph, yet as soon as Barton mistimes a tackle slightly, all hell breaks loose, with toddlers screaming, police cordening off entire sections of various cities and setting up roadblocks, the Pentagon hightening the nation's security levels, and of course referees feeling obliged to protect all innocent men, women and child watching the game from this perverse menace to society with their magical yellow and red "No Joey" cards.

Spot on Tmonkey, Joey is no worse than many in the Premiership, I mean look at Michael Brown or Lee Cattermole! And the fans seem to be very hypocritical, the Wolves fans for example praising there team for there challenges on Barton is not only hypocracy at it's finest, but also completely pathetic.

But yeah, because Joey has been in the spotlight off the field (no worse than what many of the people booing him from the stands have getting up too, cigar incident aside but that was 10 years ago!) he's somehow viewed as a 'dirty' player on the field, this wouldn't realy matter if it was just hypocrtical fans booing him and wishing him to have his leg broken, but when the referees seem to be in the same mindset we have a problem.

And lastly, the thing is with Joey is he actualy seems a realy decent lad, he's not notoriously flash or cocky, or constantly in the papers for some sex scandal or been busted for drug useage, has he been caught selling people private tours of St James' Park? No, he seems to have a decent sense of humour, doesn't appear to have some sort of god complex, is teetotal and even runs his own low key charity.

Spot on Tmonkey, Joey is no worse than many in the Premiership, I mean look at Michael Brown or Lee Cattermole! And the fans seem to be very hypocritical, the Wolves fans for example praising there team for there challenges on Barton is not only hypocracy at it's finest, but also completely pathetic.

But yeah, because Joey has been in the spotlight off the field (no worse than what many of the people booing him from the stands have getting up too, cigar incident aside but that was 10 years ago!) he's somehow viewed as a 'dirty' player on the field, this wouldn't realy matter if it was just hypocrtical fans booing him and wishing him to have his leg broken, but when the referees seem to be in the same mindset we have a problem.

And lastly, the thing is with Joey is he actualy seems a realy decent lad, he's not notoriously flash or cocky, or constantly in the papers for some sex scandal or been busted for drug useage, has he been caught selling people private tours of St James' Park?

ha ha, i'd much rather he got caught shagging a waitress or doing coke than repeatdely beating people up.

And lastly, the thing is with Joey is he actualy seems a realy decent lad, he's not notoriously flash or cocky, or constantly in the papers for some sex scandal or been busted for drug useage, has he been caught selling people private tours of St James' Park?

ha ha, i'd much rather he got caught shagging a waitress or doing coke than repeatdely beating people up.

But we don't realy know the full story behind the Dabo and Liverpool night out incidents, it's sort of a 1 way thing if you cheat on your missis with an £800 prostetute or are sniffing lines off a toilet seat, there's no real grey area of "we'll he had his reasons". I'm not condoning it but it is likely he was provoked and never just randomly assaulted Dabo or that kid, and  I'm pretty sure about 90% of the people who boo him have been in a few fights before in there time, many of them do it outside of the ground right after the game.

It's amusing how players like Scholes and even our very own Alan Smith get away week in week out with "honest" challenges that involve studs flying into opposition players' kneecaps at 100mph, yet as soon as Barton mistimes a tackle slightly, all hell breaks loose, with toddlers screaming, police cordening off entire sections of various cities and setting up roadblocks, the Pentagon hightening the nation's security levels, and of course referees feeling obliged to protect all innocent men, women and child watching the game from this perverse menace to society with their magical yellow and red "No Joey" cards.

:lol:

You're so right.

Got a feeling this could be Barton's renaissance season, he didn't react to some pretty heavy treatment by Wolves, and the team spirit around the camp should help keep him in line.

Got big hopes for him this season.

The sort of foul that gets Joey his reputation is the one against Alonso, which I don't think Scholes or Smith would have committed. He was irritated by Alonso and just wanted to put him in his place. It was pointless and the sending off and subsequent suspension was a real let down for his club, who were threatened by relegation. It's no wonder Shearer lost his rag with him, because it was a completely selfish action.

Yes, there are players who you could argue are generally more dirty and get away with it, but who cares? Barton has to sort his own game out. I suspect that, in the past, Barton has used this 'hard done by' idea as an excuse for his own petulant behaviour.

As for his previous off-field violence, I can't believe anyone is trying to defend it.

:lol:

You're so right.

Got a feeling this could be Barton's renaissance season, he didn't react to some pretty heavy treatment by Wolves, and the team spirit around the camp should help keep him in line.

Got big hopes for him this season.

I hope you are right.  He is a player who has never really hit his potential and if he can cut out all this on and off field stupidity then he could be a superb player for us.  I'm sick of all his bollocks about how sorry he is and how he owes the fans.  Words are cheap - its about time he started proving it and this season has been a decent start for him.

But we don't realy know the full story behind the Dabo and Liverpool night out incidents, it's sort of a 1 way thing if you cheat on your missis with an £800 prostetute or are sniffing lines off a toilet seat, there's no real grey area of "we'll he had his reasons". I'm not condoning it but it is likely he was provoked and never just randomly assaulted Dabo or that kid, and  I'm pretty sure about 90% of the people who boo him have been in a few fights before in there time, many of them do it outside of the ground right after the game.

I presume you never saw the CCTV footage?

He deserved prison, you can't defend that. Though I think we should have sacked him at the time, we stuck with him, and anyone out of prison has served their time and should get a second chance. I'd agree that referees are biased against him.

In my opinion, his past is exactly that. Focus should be made on the present and the future and his performances this season have shown a level of maturity, commitment and skill.

Too many people are happy to bring up past misdemeanours in others. I wonder whether they would be happy to do that to themsaelves.

I also feel that the recent comments made by Barton where he said he was England material are not far from the truth, if he continues this level of performance.

Rather than berate the lad, he should be encouraged because he is the best creative midfielder we have and his performances at present are showing that. The fact that Wolves targeted him is proof of this.

Barton, if he can maintain his current form, is the kind of quality player that should separate us from the dross at the bottom end of the table.

...and probably would have done if he could have stayed fit two seasons ago. I hope he manages to maintain both form and fitness he has kept his head down, worked hard and he deserves it, then maybe a little credit will come.