Newcastle United vs. Portsmouth-Monday 27th April 8pm *Setanta 1* Pre-match

joeyt

This makes me think Martins will be starting: -

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1637948,00.html

There;s NUCTV interview where Shearer is asked about Oba and Dukes fittness, he said noth were fine, so then asked about the temptation to play 4-3-3 Shearer smiles and said maube was all he was giving away :lol:

Also laughed at being told Bassong said "great manager but easy to mark in training" :lol: Shearer was off to join in training ahaha. spitits seem good at least.

Guest RowanB

The worst thing on Monday will be the prawn sandwich fans around me moaning that I'm making too much noise. If Shearer was never a player, I bet he'd be in the crowd with the same mentality as me. I love the way his management and statements are clearly inspired by genuine passion. Can't be sure that's going to be effective, but it creates a buzz for sure. However, to be honest, I actually think Owen, Martins and Viduka starting is the best approach.

Harper, R. Taylor, Beye, Bassong, Enrique, Guthrie, Butt, Nolan, Owen, Martins, Viduka.

Can see that being the team in the 4-3-3/4-3-1-2 formation, with the main question mark being over Guthrie (Jonas potentially).

If all are fit then I can't see anything other, reading into recent comments from Shearer and Dowie regarding our squad.

Harper, R. Taylor, Beye, Bassong, Enrique, Guthrie, Butt, Nolan, Owen, Martins, Viduka.

Can see that being the team in the 4-3-3/4-3-1-2 formation, with the main question mark being over Guthrie (Jonas potentially).

If all are fit then I can't see anything other, reading into recent comments from Shearer and Dowie regarding our squad.

you still in favour of Butt starting?

There has to be a left footer in the three man midfield surely? Barton did that job under Keegan and Geremi likewise on the right. It gives it a nice balance.

There has to be a left footer in the three man midfield surely? Barton did that job under Keegan and Geremi likewise on the right. It gives it a nice balance.

Barton's right footed though? It's as close to last season as you're gonna get with the players that are currently in favour.

you still in favour of Butt starting?

Certainly in that role, I am, and I would assume Shearer is as well. Having players who played it last season can only help and Butt is one of 5 outfielders in that proposed/expected line-up who would be in the exact positions they occupied at the back end of 2007/08.

Barton's right footed though? It's as close to last season as you're gonna get with the players that are currently in favour.

I'm pretty sure that Barton is left footed tbh. I saw him knocking some lovely passes from out wide in that spell last year.

Howay man TRon. Elementary stuff not knowing what foot our players are!

There were dozens of times last season where Barton ran into a blind alley because he barely has a left-foot, which meant he had to turn back inside and slow things down.

I know it's been a while since he played regularly for us, but it's like he's transformed into a completely different player since he's been out. Left-footed, quick, brilliant player...

It probably would help to have a left-footer in that position, though, I agree with that. We don't have anyone who fits the description now like (I always fancied Charlie there last season).

Bassong, Enrique, Duff, Lovenkrands, Martins and Carroll are the only players in the senior squad who are naturally left-footed, I think (off the top of my head).

I've always been against putting Jonas in a straight middle slot, cos he simply won't work there - but i reckon he could be very effective in that middle trio. And guess what, he's left-footed. :pow:

I'd have him in there over fucking Nolan regardless.

Howay man TRon. Elementary stuff not knowing what foot our players are!

There were dozens of times last season where Barton ran into a blind alley because he barely has a left-foot, which meant he had to turn back inside and slow things down.

I know it's been a while since he played regularly for us, but it's like he's transformed into a completely different player since he's been out. Left-footed, quick, brilliant player...

My bad...he is definitely right-footed. I just had it stuck in my head that he played this glorious long pass against Fulham last season and it was his left foot. I think it helped that Oba was able to pull wide left as well, that might be how Shearer will look to work it.

Keegan stuck Barton down the right on a couple of occassions last season prior to the 4-3-3 revelation... i couldn't see him doing that if Barton was left-footed? I don't actually think it matters a great deal anyway; there's no impetus on crossing with that midfield trio - it's either left to the full-backs or simply isn't focused on. The forward three buzzed about everywhere last season so there was no great need for foot-specific midfielders.

I've always been against putting Jonas in a straight middle slot, cos he simply won't work there - but i reckon he could be very effective in that middle trio. And guess what, he's left-footed. :pow:

I'd have him in there over fucking Nolan regardless.

That's what I would go for. My midfield three would be Jonas, Butt and Guthrie. I wouldn't allow Nolan into St James park if it was up to me.

If Shearer can do it and if the players are happy enough, it surely can't hurt just to go for an exact replication, as there really wasn't too much wrong at all with how it was set-up.

I'd love to see Jonas (left) and Guthrie (right) either side of Butt, until Barton is fit at least, but I'm fairly sure Nolan is going to be given at least another chance after all the talking up Dowie was giving him earlier this week.

In Shearer I trust though (can't do anything else).

Keegan stuck Barton down the right on a couple of occassions last season prior to the 4-3-3 revelation... i couldn't see him doing that if Barton was left-footed? I don't actually think it matters a great deal anyway; there's no impetus on crossing with that midfield trio - it's either left to the full-backs or simply isn't focused on. The forward three buzzed about everywhere last season so there was no great need for foot-specific midfielders.

Yeah I corrected my post, he's definitely right-footed, I just watched him smack a couple of pens on Youtube.

Would rather play Colo than let Ryan Taylor anywhere near our team.

Aye, especially considering how much Beye contributed from right-back in that formation.

However, you would hope that Ryan Taylor may be able to up his game significantly if given the freedom to get forward as KK did with Beye and Enrique last season. Beye/Bassong have been fairly decent in the middle together though, and I'd worry about Coloccini against Crouch in particular.

The width the team played with, especially at SJP, was ridiculous. So attacking.

I wouldn't be too pissed off with RTaylor at RB, Beye at CB for Pompey if i'm honest. As has been said, Habib and Bassong look fairly confident together - you'd expect so, they're the two most technically gifted players in the defense. Plus it'll be their third game together on the bounce and you'll expect they have a decent understanding. Pompey are a bit meh but there's still danger there with the likes of Crouch.

If Stevie Taylor's back though - Habib for RB. :thup:

Would rather play Colo than let Ryan Taylor anywhere near our team.

Aye, especially considering how much Beye contributed from right-back in that formation.

However, you would hope that Ryan Taylor may be able to up his game significantly if given the freedom to get forward as KK did with Beye and Enrique last season. Beye/Bassong have been fairly decent in the middle together though, and I'd worry about Coloccini against Crouch in particular.

The width the team played with, especially at SJP, was ridiculous. So attacking.

Shearer will probably stick with Beye at CB I agree. He's played against him so he knows that Habib is up to the job, because he's fucking class basically. I had a bad feeling about this game but the news that Oba will probably start has given me a renewed hope. Him and Viduka are going to be massive in this game.

Aye, for the first time today i'm dead excited for the game. A little bit worried that i'm gonna be in pieces on the train home, but mainly excited. Fucking well up for it knowing that there's a good chance Oba's playing and it's gonna be 4-3-3.

If we line up in a 3-5-2 with Shola or Carroll on the pitch i'm gonna weep. :lol:

I reckon he'll go:

---------------Harper

Beye    Taylor    Bassong  Enrique

Smith  Butt  Jonas

Owen

Oba        Carroll