Newcastle United vs. Portsmouth-Monday 27th April 8pm *Setanta 1* Pre-match

joeyt

Here's Portmouth's team from Saturday

James

Kaboul Campbell, Distin, Hreidarsson,

Johnson, Davis, Mullins, Kranjcar

Nugent Crouch.

I'm worried that our CBs won't be able to handle Crouch

We should dominate midfield if we've got Barton, Jonas, Guthrie and even Smith in there.

Don't forget that they play Man U on Wednesday - hope they get knackered or get a crucial injury!!

He like Owen needs good support, and with Krancjar out i can't see them threatening tbh.

The only real threats Portsmouth have are their full backs (basically wingers) Johnson and Belhadj. Nugent is painfully bad. Crouch is a good finisher, but slow. Kanu, like Viduka, needs the ball played into his feet to really cause damage. Their midfield is just as bad as ours, and if we can somehow get Barton or Guthrie back, we should have the advantage in that area.

Guest toonlass

James

Nugent Crouch.

We should dominate midfield if we've got Barton, Jonas, Guthrie and even Smith in there.

Don't forget that they play Man U on Wednesday - hope they get knackered or get a crucial injury!!

He like Owen needs good support, and with Krancjar out i can't see them threatening tbh.

The only real threats Portsmouth have are their full backs (basically wingers) Johnson and Belhadj. Nugent is painfully bad. Crouch is a good finisher, but slow. Kanu, like Viduka, needs the ball played into his feet to really cause damage. Their midfield is just as bad as ours, and if we can somehow get Barton or Guthrie back, we should have the advantage in that area.

Is Krancjar out? Physioroom only has Papa Bouba Diop (back 22nd april) and Thomas (no return date) out for them.

James

Nugent Crouch.

Is Krancjar out? Physioroom only has Papa Bouba Diop (back 22nd april) and Thomas (no return date) out for them.

Portsmouth are hopeful he can return this season, but I'd seriously doubt he plays on Monday, injury looked season ending

Guest toonlass

James

Nugent Crouch.

Portsmouth are hopeful he can return this season, but I'd seriously doubt he plays on Monday, injury looked season ending

ok thanks

Wouldn't be so bad but Pompey don't need to win. I think we'd nail on beat them if they were down in the dregs with us and had to go for it but now they don't they can just sit back and protect their point and with our midfield having 0% creativity i think we might struggle to break them down (and yes i know they're shit)

Wouldn't be so bad but Pompey don't need to win. I think we'd nail on beat them if they were down in the dregs with us and had to go for it but now they don't they can just sit back and protect their point and with our midfield having 0% creativity i think we might struggle to break them down (and yes i know they're shit)

Not sure about that, the likes of Hull, Blackburn and Sunderland can still catch/surpass them with one win.  While they can still get dragged into it I think they'll still be out to get as many points as possible.

The time for caution is well and truly over.

We've got to say "fuck it" and go at them with everything from the first minute. Try and put the game beyond doubt from as early on as possible.

The longer it goes with it being 0-0, and with our recent form, the chances are that if it's up to the 75-80min mark and we have to push people forward, we will end up getting caught with a sucker punch. Then we really are fucked.

Even if this was to happen early on with the gung-ho approach, at least there will be time to rectify it.

Guest Darth Toon

Regardless of form or fitness, the more I think about it, the more a Martins-Viduka-Owen strikeforce fills me with happiness. Not sure any of them will last a full game though... well, maybe Owen.

That's the worry, but if we can come out all guns blazing and get a couple of goals up (like any of us can remember what that feels like?!!) then Caroll and Lovenkrands should be able to come and and help see out the last 30....

Looking a bit further ahead, wouldn't risk either Martins or Viduka at Liverpool by the way, keep them for the games we might actually win....

Guest Heneage

Absolutely nailed on that Peter Crouch will score btw.

What makes you say that?

The defence looks good on a sheet of A4 but it can't be great if they are where they are. 

Absolutely nailed on that Peter Crouch will score btw.

What makes you say that?

The defence looks good on a sheet of A4 but it can't be great if they are where they are. 

Because I really don't rate him.

.................Harper..................

Beye..Colo..Bassong..Edgar (if enrique is not fit)

...............Smith...................

..........Jonas....Loven............

.................Owen................

......Viduka...........Martins....

Is what I hope we see.

1) No duff

2) No R taylor

3) No Nolan

4)  No Butt

Not going to happen. Smith looked twice the player of our other midfielders. He could pass, and move :o

(btw, I'd drop Owen, put in carrol, but we all know that aint gonna happen any time soon)

Is what I hope we see.

1) No duff

2) No R taylor

3) No Nolan

4)  No Butt

Not going to happen. Smith looked twice the player of our other midfielders. He could pass, and move :o

(btw, I'd drop Owen, put in carrol, but we all know that aint gonna happen any time soon)

If we're going 4-3-3 then dropping Owen is ridiculous, he's by far the best suited player in our squad to playing in the hole.

Lovenkrands in midfield won't happen either, and nor should it. I'd not be adverse to giving Smith a run but not as the holding midfielder, slap Guthrie there and let Smith play in one of the outside CM roles.

Is what I hope we see.

1) No duff

2) No R taylor

3) No Nolan

4)  No Butt

If we're going 4-3-3 then dropping Owen is ridiculous, he's by far the best suited player in our squad to playing in the hole.

Lovenkrands in midfield won't happen either, and nor should it. I'd not be adverse to giving Smith a run but not as the holding midfielder, slap Guthrie there and let Smith play in one of the outside CM roles.

I just wanted to fit Loven in :( I agree though. Guthrie would be better. Besides, we need more than 1 midfielder who can tackle :lol:

Is what I hope we see.

1) No duff

2) No R taylor

3) No Nolan

4)  No Butt

I just wanted to fit Loven in :( I agree though. Guthrie would be better. Besides, we need more than 1 midfielder who can tackle :lol:

Smith can tackle? ???

Harper

Edgar  Beye    Bassong  Enrique

Barton  Guthrie  Smith

Owen

Viduka      Martins

This is assuming Taylor isn't fit and Enrique is.