Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

Why the angst towards Harper? What's he done? Served as an understudy for over a decade and is now filling a hole for us and he's getting barracked? Only on this forum.

If you want to be angry at someone and blame this defeat on someone because you feel 'Given would have saved that', then point your finger at the director's box each and every time you think that, because that's fact of the matter.

Given was a match-winning goalkeeper, Harper is not.

how does a keeper win matches?

By stopping the opposition scoring when we are leading the game?

How many times has he been in a position to do that since he came into the team?

(Genuine question btw & I have no idea what the answer is)

We've only won one game since Given was sold, and in that he let two in. :lol:

What I mean (which I think you know) is how many games have we been leading as per the answer given?

bull shit. having a go at harper man, is he as good as given... No.

but he's not as bad as your making out. look at the owner of the club if you want to see whats wrong with the club.

Given was a match-winning goalkeeper, Harper is not.

how does a keeper win matches?

By stopping the opposition scoring when we are leading the game?

How many times has he been in a position to do that since he came into the team?

(Genuine question btw & I have no idea what the answer is)

You and me both mate :lol:

As per the post above, the answer where he could have done that & didn't is only the Man United game.

EDIT: Mind that's only in the period since Given refused to play at Man City & said he was injured.

Dunno about under Harper, but this season we've lost 13 points from winning positions. That would put us about ninth or something. :(

By my reckoning:

Stoke (h) 2 points lost... Given

Wigan (h) 2 points lost... Given

Man U (a) 2 points lost... Given

West Ham (h) 2 points lost... Harper

Man U (h) 3 points lost... Harper

I make that 11 points, must have missed a game somewhere. No real correlation tbh.

Dunno about under Harper, but this season we've lost 13 points from winning positions. That would put us about ninth or something. :(

By my reckoning:

West Ham (h) 2 points lost... Harper

I make that 11 points, must have missed a game somewhere. No real correlation tbh.

Given was in goal v West Ham according to .com.

By my reckoning:

West Ham (h) 2 points lost... Given

Man City (h) 2 points lost... Given

Post fixed. ^

Guest michaelfoster

Harper has been and always will be half the keeper shay was for us, people saying good f*ck off Shay or good Harper is better anyway when he signed for Man City is kidding themselves.

Unfortunatly a build up of frustration over the years from both Shephard & Ashley pushed him over the edge and he pretty much said i want to leave cause im sick which is fair enough, unfortunatly IMO he should of waited till the summer before leaving so he loses respect from me for that.

Now we are stuck with a keeper who is not in the top 10 in the PL and is not getting any younger plus two inexperienced keepers in Krul & Forster.

By my reckoning:

West Ham (h) 2 points lost... Given

Man City (h) 2 points lost... Given

Post fixed. ^

Blatantly shit conclusion

Harper is a match-winning goalkeeper, Given wasn't.

Guest Phil K

He's fell a good distance form wise.

But then no further than most of our players.

I personally would give some of the young guns a run

What have we to lose that we're not going to lose anyways ?

Guest Alan Shearer 9

We should be far more concerned about the likes of Butt/Nolan/RTaylor being in the starting 11.

Guest Phil K

The midfield is indeed the main cause of our inability to find the net (I managed to say it without a line of swear words.....)

Guest Stephen927

Must be feeling the nerves having just stepped out of Given's shadow and having the responsibility of being the number one unless a replacement is signed. Usually he's just playing until Given returns then he knows he can return to the bench so the pressure isn't as high for him as it is right now.

It's not impossible for players to run into a bad bit of form. Cech had a couple of bad games but he isn't a poor goalkeeper by any stretch of the imagination. A poor couple of games doesn't make Harper a bad keeper, he's a decent, unspectacular goalkeeper. Most would wilt under the pressure all of the players are under, they're only human.

He's an average keeper. Given is a fantastic keeper. Couldn't believe it when people were saying they weren't bothered about Given going. He was by far our most important player in that he could get us points from games where we didn't deserve anything. But Harper is not the weakest link by a long shot. As stated a few posts ago R Taylor, Butt and Nolan are hurting us far more.