Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

Guest optimistic nit

He's an average keeper. Given is a fantastic keeper. Couldn't believe it when people were saying they weren't bothered about Given going. He was by far our most important player in that he could get us points from games where we didn't deserve anything. But Harper is not the weakest link by a long shot. As stated a few posts ago R Taylor, Butt and Nolan are hurting us far more.

that.

Guest optimistic nit

least of our worries, but i don't think i'll have him as our number 1 choice if we stay up for next season.

He just had to turn "crap" (don't think he's crap, just worse) when Shay leaves, eh?

tbh i dont think he is any worse now than he was then, people saw him come in and make a few good saves and started saying he was as good as given despite the fact given's been doing better than that for over 10  years.

I don't think he's a bad keeper.

I don't understand where all of this is coming from? He hasn't cost us any games IMO and whatever he has let in, I don't think Given would have done much better.

Least of our problems.

The midfield is and always has been a problem since Sir Bobby left.

They just fucking part to easily for me and then undue pressure is put on our back four and goalie.

I actually think we have the best defence I've seen for quite a while, It's just the midfield rolling over that make them look shite in the season sstats.

Not as good as Given, definetely lacks some confidence, but no wonder when you have that crap in front of you, not the worst keeper though in Prem and we have bigger probs than Harper.

Guest Mantis

He's never been great, never will be.  Should have done better today but struggle to find anyone other than Jonas who I couldn't say the same about.  Confidence has vanished long ago amongst these players and we will finish where we deserve to be across the season.  There are some terrible teams in this league and our results against them show how far we have fallen. 

• 7 months later...

I don't think it's a shocking idea, as England has a boatload of shit keepers. He's probably on better form than most and he's no worse than Ben Foster et al.

It would inevitably end in disaster, ruining his confidence forever more, but otherwise, why not?

I just don't think he's good enough tbh. I'd have him at about 7th or 8th choice, but for me the likes of James, Green, Kirkland, Foster, Robinson and Hart are all better bets at the moment. I just don't think he'd be up to it, maybe a different story if it had happened earlier in his career.

Not that shocking rather have him that Robsinson who is being touted, hes not world class by any stretch of the imagnation but no england keeper is.

I just don't think he's good enough tbh. I'd have him at about 7th or 8th choice, but for me the likes of James, Green, Kirkland, Foster, Robinson and Hart are all better bets at the moment. I just don't think he'd be up to it, maybe a different story if it had happened earlier in his career.

Injured, Agree, Injured and gets injured every other day and isn't that good anyway, Disagree as is third choice at Man Utd, Undecided, Undecided.

I just don't think it's clear cut either way, thus it'd be worth considering.

Injured, Agree, Injured and gets injured every other day and isn't that good anyway, Disagree as is third choice at Man Utd, Undecided, Undecided.

I just don't think it's clear cut either way, thus it'd be worth considering.

I can see where you're coming from and whilst Harper has been good this season I think a lot of that is down to the drop in division. He was disappointing at the end of last season (no-one would have mentioned him in this context back then) and it's harder to judge with keepers but there's no way he's having to deal with crosses or shots of the same quality this year and there's no real challange when it comes to organising the defence. The jump from the championship to the world cup is too big to bridge.

Having said that, if everyone's injured he would be worthwhile having as a 3rd choice I guess.

I think it's clear that what is wrong with Harper is his positioning. In training he needs to start thinking "okay, that's where I SHOULD be, but I'll just take 1 step left/right/forward/back as appropriate". Then when he makes a save it looks much more impressive, and when they go in - well they were "unstoppable" weren't they, no keeper could have got to that.

He needs to realise that it's not about conceding less goals, it's about being seen to make spectacular saves (and not annoying people with your mannerisms when you kick it out too, obviously).

Guest Heneage

How many goals have we conceded this season?

10 at last check.

not too bad then?

Not at all mate, it's part due to a stern defence, and part due to Harper bailing us out on occassion.