Newcastle United 0 - 0 Portsmouth - 27/04/09 - post match reaction from page 22

Nate

Its a sad reflection on football when you have to have a ring master starting songs before kick off.  Oh how football and its fans have fallen. 

I said that. It was cringeworthy as fuck. I felt like a Bolton or Wigan supporter.

Singling players out is ridiculous.

The one constant in this team all season has been Butt. He takes the most responsibility in my book.

Everyone else has been dropped at some point, be it Duff, Owen, Martins, Jonas etc.

Nicky Butt apparently is our most important player as he is straight into the team when fit, this despite being one of the worst players at the club including the reserves and all.

Ultimately though, as I have said before, management must take the blame because butt cannot be expected to take himself out of the team. Every manager has failed u sin this respect.

Its a sad reflection on football when you have to have a ring master starting songs before kick off.  Oh how football and its fans have fallen. 

I said that. It was cringeworthy as fuck. I felt like a Bolton or Wigan supporter.

Without being in the PL safety zone.

I've not had a problem with the concept in the past but I found the bit where he ripped into the few hundred Portsmouth fans - who'd made a ~700 mile round trip, probably taking a couple of days off work to do so - particularly pathetic. As were the Shearer bits.

A stupid gimmick to "get the fans going" because "we need the fans to get behind us and be the 12th man".

No.

What was actually needed was a decent 11 players on the pitch who had some idea of how to play football and the guts to go out there and actually try to put in a performance.

Guest toonlass

It might be a sad reflection, but we had a great atmosphere for the first hour at least. Shame that 90% of the fans can't get an atmosphere like that going every week.

Guest trotter58

I said that. It was cringeworthy as f***. I felt like a Bolton or Wigan supporter.

...but with fewer points.

I said that. It was cringeworthy as f***. I felt like a Bolton or Wigan supporter.

wum

Yup, saw that coming. We are in no position right now to take any kind of cheapshots at any other team or their set of fans because we'll only get it back twice over and it will be a lot more painful.

Trotter things are really crap right now so go easy on us folks.

This. Said at the time it was going to come back to haunt us as it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to the team's performance.

I must be the only one who thought the atmosphere was pretty damn good, at least for the first hour anyway.

I thought it was a fantastic atmosphere, as did the Swedish commentator. He kept going on about what a fantastic atmosphere it was.

Loved us booing their players when they had the ball, really did seem to rally our players to close them down quicker and with more energy.

I must be the only one who thought the atmosphere was pretty damn good, at least for the first hour anyway.

I thought it was a fantastic atmosphere, as did the Swedish commentator. He kept going on about what a fantastic atmosphere it was.

Loved us booing their players when they had the ball, really did seem to rally our players to close them down quicker and with more energy.

Stoke did that a couple of weeks ago. It makes the opposition look less calm on the ball, although we're so rarely calm on the ball I may just have been reading too much into it.

I can't argue that Butt does a decent job winning the ball back but why oh why he just can't play it on with a simple pass(like Coloccini did a lot yesterday) instead of holding it up way too long running out of options and then try some stupid and hopeless hollywood lob pass to Oba or Owen which never find its target????

If anything yesterday really proved we lack every bit of creativity from the midfield! Our only supposedly creative player seem to be enternally injured and will be leaving at the end of his loan anyway what a waste of money he was. Pace is a thing which could easily cover the obvious lack of creativity but it's just another thing we don't have(except Oba)!

Our defence did quite okay yesterday but Pompey defended so deep leaving Crouch only player to close us down over the half way line that it was unbelievable to watch really. Apart from the last 10 to 15 mins Pompey were not really able to put our defence under any kind of a pressure. Once we had the possession we went forward so slow that the opponent had no trouble at all to block us. I hardly see us ever trying to hit an opponent with fast counter attacks which is very very important in today's football. We just wait for them to regroup or overhit(a la Jose style) a simple through pass...so annoying

And what the point leaving Jonas on the bench? The only player with some sort of creative instinct and what an engine he has. One of our best players in the previous match but Big Al yet again goes for Owen who just offers nothing at all anymore. If Big Al just could explain his persistence of playing Owen...(I mean with another argument than he'll score eventually as I think this eventuality will not happen this season)

Harper - 6

Beye - 6

Coloccini - 6

Bassong - 6

Enrique - 5 (Duff at LB 4)

Smith - 6

Butt - 5

Duff - 7 (Guthrie 6)

Owen - 3

Oba - 5

Viduka - 6 (Carroll 2)

I love how people are going on about how we didn't spend in January.

Like anyone was ever going to join us.

That team group of 11 players out there today is Premier League quality.

Eff why pee.

Martins had a nightmare, he really needs a goal for his confidence or maybe just needs to be more awake

Owen is pass it, but isn't getting dropped by shearer

Smith & Butt fighted well, but can't make any goalscoring passes

Jonas didnt get into the game enough when he came on

A shame Enrique got injured, we were playing better when he was on and duff was in position

Bassong wasnt as steady as he normally is

Nice to see Viduka holding the ball well - wish he was a couple of years/kg younger

Carroll did ok when he came on, he should start instead of Martins or Owen

I love how people are going on about how we didn't spend in January.

Like anyone was ever going to join us.

That team group of 11 players out there today is Premier League quality.

Eff why pee.

Yep right...last 2 season hasn't convinced you yet about the fact that it's not really PL quality? Of course if you think a point per game rate is good for us at this level the you're right

How much did such teams as West Ham, Stoke, Pompey, Fulham and Blackburn have spent and they are all doing more or less decent at the moment?

Guest neesy111

this clubs needs the biggest clearout in it's history, i've been saying this for 3 years, only allardyce did it and replaced them with worse players

it's about time we just went back to signing up and coming youngsters, at least they won't cost as much and don't command big wages

We can't have any complains, completely deserve to go down, definitely one of the 3 worst sides. Really think we needed that last night, if we can't beat them in our most winnable match why would we beat Boro or Fulham who have more to play for. Shows how bad the standard has been this year that we can still stay up by winning 2 games (IMO 37 will be enough) which we really should expect to be able to win.

We can't have any complains, completely deserve to go down, definitely one of the 3 worst sides. Really think we needed that last night, if we can't beat them in our most winnable match why would we beat Boro or Fulham who have more to play for. Shows how bad the standard has been this year that we can still stay up by winning 2 games (IMO 37 will be enough) which we really should expect to be able to win.

Honestly we are the worst footballing side in the league.

Stoke, Blackburn and a few others play disgusting brands of football but they at least have a plan and stick to it.

We don't do anything well. We don't have a style of football because we don't even play football. I'm still not sure what they do out there because it isn't football. Just a bunch of random actions between some really cluelees players' feet and the ball, while hoping something comes out of nowhere.

West Brom play better than us, Boro do also and God forgive me even Sunderland figure out the occassional passing sequence a couple of times a game.

We are the worst team in this league and if we go down we really can have no complaints at all.

Guest toonlass

Can't be bothered to go through the whole thread, but did Enrique do his hamstring?

Aye, looks like it.

Enrique's reaction to pulling his hamstring was quality, starting punching himself in the leg and shouting at it.

Nice to see someone at least look arsed.

Anyone else think Duff looked pretty decent at LB? He'll be fine there, if we revert to 3 at the back I'll knife somebody.