Liverpool - Newcastle United | Sun May 3rd - 1:30pm @ Anfield - Pre Match Thread

Kaizero

Guest firetotheworks

Dalglish backs Magpies to stay up

source

Fri 01 May, 08:15 AM

Former Newcastle boss Kenny Dalglish is backing the Magpies achieve Barclays Premier League survival but admits it may come by the narrowest of margins.

Alan Shearer's men face Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday sitting in the relegation zone, three points behind Hull in 17th, but Dalglish believes the rest of the run-in will be kind to the team from the North East.

He said: "I think Newcastle will stay up. They have two home games left against Fulham and Middlesbrough. If they win those it will take them to 37 points. Hull also have Bolton and if they win it will take them to 37 as well. I don't see too many points coming for Hull or Newcastle apart from the ones I have mentioned, so then Newcastle would stay up on goal difference."

Steven Gerrard is set to return aid Liverpool's title challenge, after missing four games with a groin injury, with the prospect of leaders Manchester United being six points clear of the Reds if they win at Middlesbrough on Saturday.

He scored twice in the 5-1 win at St James' Park earlier in the season and is looking to create yet another piece of scoring history.

Gerrard's next goal will be his 118th for Liverpool, placing him joint 12th with Ian St John in the club's all-time list.

And Liverpool are just one goal short of recording 300 in the Premier League under manager Rafael Benitez, with their next goal being their 50th in all competitions at Anfield this season.

Just for good measure, Dirk Kuyt is one goal short of equalling his best season's tally for the club.

Dalglish added: "This is a game that both sides have to win, but Liverpool will know exactly where they stand because Manchester United are playing at Middlesbrough on Saturday.

"It seems that Sir Alex Ferguson is going to make a few changes at Middlesbrough, but he does not put out too many bad sides so it doesn't matter who he fields. But if Middlesbrough get a return from the match then Liverpool will really be left with a big game on Sunday."

Have to say, despite Dalglish dismantling one of the best teams the Premier League has ever seen, and me feeling very bitter about it, I still like the bloke a lot. He never seems to have a bad word to say about anybody, and more often than not talks a lot of sense.

Guest ovesbar

I still think we'll win. 'cause it's the most unlikely scenario, and we're Newcastle, where everything unlikely to happen, happens.

So I guess we'll take the title next year then. :celb:

I still think we'll win. 'cause it's the most unlikely scenario, and we're Newcastle, where everything unlikely to happen, happens.

It's not the most unlikely scenario, as it would be more unlikely if Hull won and so on. So my point still stands.

I'd like to think we'll be up there, along with the loser of tomorrow's B'ham v Reading game!

Imagine having Owen & Viduka together from nearly 3-4 years ago. :-(

Away from home they will be next to useless as they offer nothing on the counter. We'd actually be better going for Oba and Loven who are quick enough to hit on the break.

............Dukes............

Loven...........Jonas

......Barton..Guth.....

............Butt...................

Duff.Bass. :colo:...Beye.

..........Harper............

Please. :)

ps:

Michael OWEN is the club's top Premier League scorer with eight goals.

Shocking stat. No wonder we are so low.

EXCLUSIVE: Owen axe - Newcastle boss Shearer plans to gamble by dropping star to the bench for Anfield return

by CHARLES SALE

Newcastle manager Alan Shearer is planning to leave Michael Owen on the bench for the game against Liverpool at Anfield tomorrow.

Shearer had claimed he would be keeping faith with struggling striker Owen but is now ready to gamble by leaving the once prolific England — and Liverpool — striker out of his starting line-up.

Shearer, who has seen his side score just one goal and collect only two points in his four games in charge as they bid to climb out of the relegation zone, arrived on Tyneside trumpeting that Owen would score the goals to keep the club in the Barclays Premier League.

In his pre-match press conference, he claimed he would keep faith with Owen, but is having a change of heart after watching training sessions.

Owen has failed to find the net since scoring in the 2-2 draw against West Ham on January 10 and Shearer has run out of patience — even though Newcastle are playing the club where Owen made his name.

Alan Shearer

After playing three strikers in the previous home match against Portsmouth — a goalless draw — Shearer decided he needs to shore up his midfield against title-chasing Liverpool and Owen, in a dismal run of form, will be the fall guy.

The frustration of being left out of the starting line-up so soon by Shearer makes it even more likely that Owen, who is on wages of £110,000 a week, will leave in the summer if he can find a suitable club.

Publicly at least, Shearer continues to support his former England strike partner. He said: ‘There is definitely no complaint with his work-rate, but it’s goals that have made Michael’s name and he has been disappointed not to score. He is still banging them in during training but I want him scoring in games.’

Mail Online

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article6207657.ece

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2408160.ece

On all of the back pages of todays newspapers.

We will be playing with one man upfront, but that man will not be Owen, dropped to the bench.

Shearer making a good decision? Shearer having his ear bent? Or simply tactics?

I think it's an overdue one, however 1 upfront, not our forté is it, mind you, nor is 2 or 3.

TBF Shearer has made several spot on decisions despite having a string of bad results.  It may be down to that he understands the problem but due to his lack of experience he doesn't know how to solve them.

If only we could hire him a few matches earlier...

TBF Shearer has made several spot on decisions despite having a string of bad results.  It may be down to that he understands the problem but due to his lack of experience he doesn't know how to solve them.

If only we could hire him a few matches earlier...

That's the problem basically. Unlucky/ridiculous injuries and average to poor quality throughout the squad hasn't helped much either. How many games did it take Keegan to get us a win last year? It was quite a few, like.. I reckon Shearer would be the same. 8 games isn't enough.

Owen is probably dropped so he can be saved for the 'winnable' matches btw.

Guest toonlass

what a surprise eh. Owen not playing against Liverpool. Never saw that one coming like!