Newcastle vs Middlesbrough pre-match thread - 11/05/09 (live on Setanta 8pm)

Dave

The atmosphere will be great at the start, I just hope these limp f*** players don't manage to deflate everyone inside the ground while they stumble around half-heartedly again.

I'll be pumped by the time this game comes round but if we don't see a passionate performance from the players in this one it will turn ugly.

I'm pretty sure the atmosphere will be horrible.

They got the crowd all pumped up for Pompey and then the players let them down horribly.

Crowd will be very subdued and will start jumping on the players' backs the minute the first mistake happens.

*holds tongue*

Guest Darth Toon

Is Steven Taylor back for this one? Could be very important IMO:

Beye - Taylor - Bassong - Duff

Smith - Butt - Jonas

Owen - Viduka - Martins

Is Steven Taylor back for this one? Could be very important IMO:

Beye - Taylor - Bassong - Duff

Smith - Butt - Jonas

Owen - Viduka - Martins

Taylor at centre half is always a disaster waiting to happen. Yet so is Coloccini.

0-1, Alves

Alves... Scoring?

Does not compute :frantic:

To be fair, someone suggested Jonas scoring in this very thread. Which is the less likely?

*Why does Jonas do the crucifix sign twice when walking on to the pitch? He needs a new God because his current one does nothing for him.

If we dont score in the first 20 minutes we are knackered. If ever a game called out for an early goal to help calm the nerves a little its this one.

We should spend the next 7 days practicing lashing them in from all angles and distances. We need to make the keeper work as much as possible. They will be as nervous as us so we need to force the keeper into making a mistake as soon as possible.

If either side loses this, they could be mathematically down. Oh my.

If Hull beat Villa and Stoke, and Blunderland beat Bolton and we lose, aye, we're down. Fucking hell, this doesn't seem real, didn't realise relegation could actally be soooo close away.  :no:

Guest Stephen927

It's going to be more nerve wracking than any other Newcastle United game I've watched, though admittedly I am only 19 and didn't see first hand the days before Shepherd.

I firmly believe that we can beat Middlesbrough, my main concern is Tuncay, can see Southgate telling him to run at Coloccini.

It'll be similiar to the Pompey game, we'll see plenty of effort but very little in the way of quality football.

But, we'll create a couple of chances nonetheless, just need to take one this time.

If we dont score in the first 20 minutes we are knackered. If ever a game called out for an early goal to help calm the nerves a little its this one.

We should spend the next 7 days practicing lashing them in from all angles and distances. We need to make the keeper work as much as possible. They will be as nervous as us so we need to force the keeper into making a mistake as soon as possible.

Brad Jones is dodgy as fuck as well.

If the Pompey game is anything to go by, then we've cracked the issue of making chances against poorer teams at home. As has been said, we've just got to take them now - and i think we will.

An intensely nervous 1-0, i reckon. The relief after 90 minutes will be unreal.

Got a weird feeling Middlesbrough will fancy their chances of giving us an absolute sucker-punch by winning. All eyes are on our circus, nobody expects Boro to do anything. Hmm.  :no:

4 goals in last 10 and only 2 in last 5 at home...we defo need to score but I'm kinda struggling to think how the hell we're gonna score and who?

4 goals in last 10 and only 2 in last 5 at home...we defo need to score but I'm kinda struggling to think how the hell we're gonna score and who?

Yeah but to be fair look at who the last five home games were against.

Is it just me, or does the media seem to want Boro to survive and don't give a shit about us or do I have some kind of "everyone is against us paranoia".

Both teams will see this as winable and both will think they are down with a loss. A point will be it for both I think. Still can't believe this is happening. I just keep on expecting something to happen that will see us out of this mess, but nothing does happen.

I think it's more a case of people will be more shocked if we go down thus swaying them towards that outcome. I guess it's the same as if Tranmere beat Arsenal, I have nothing against Arsenal but it would be more interesting if Tranmere won. Probably a crap analogy but hopefully you see what I'm getting at.