Shearer says talks with Cardiff were "unsucessful" - Sky News

Decky

Shearer will be given time off the fans that other managers probably wouldn't get.

i have to say i'm reading this more and more and i hate it (not aimed at you personally). why on earth are we as a set of football fans not able to give time to a manager unless we have some previous affinity with them? we're constantly trying to refute claims that our fans have un-realistic expectations and yet at the same time it almost seems to be accepted now that as fans we wont give a manager time unless we've had their name on the back of our shirt at some point. what the fuck's wrong with us?

Those complaining about Shearer as a manager need to get real - the guy took the poisoned chalice when nobody else would touch it, was given 8 games, no money, and NO chance of signing new players due to the transfer window system ; when KK kept the club up in 1992, he had 3 MONTHS, was able to sign crucial players like Kilcline & Sheedy, and had the nucleus of a team who WANTED to do it for the club & fans. Even then, we only just stayed out of the old Div 3 on the last day...who is to say Shearer might not have done as well if he had had ONE, let alone 3 of the advantages KK had.

The club was doomed when Ashley backed Wise/Llambias & Co, anf allowed KK to walk away - and Keegan was RIGHT to do so in the circumstances.

Shearer has told it like it is - that the club is down due to YEARS of mismanagement from Shepherd's time through to Ashley's unbelievable blundering.

It's been said, within this thread, that if Shearer can't motivate the current crop of players then perhaps no one can.  Clearly, for me, the players are a pack of cunts who couldn't give a fuck.  They aren't Shearer's players and whilst he tries to motivate  the money-grabbing cunts under his command, they have never responded.  With his own recruits in the summer, this will change 100%.  On the motivation theme, NUFC have, within their ranks, one of the greatest motivators in the country, bar none.  Ian Dowie.  We are fortunate to have them both. With that in mind, imo, it is solely down to the players who have been wearing the shirt.  Utter cunts, money driven, couldn't give a fuck types. Shearer and Dowie will change this for sure in time. Shame they were never given enough.

I'm expecting some sort of announcement on him today or tomorrow, either way. They'll know it needs nipping in the bud (I hope).

They need to offset the relegation with some crumb of comfort and surely their only hand is to offer the job to Shearer on the proviso that he sorts it out from top-to-bottom and gets us right back up there. Anything less than that and apathy and disenchantment could swiftly turn to anger. Shearer holds all the cards here.

Duff has also backed Shearer to become manager full time.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/05/25/duff-to-stay-and-make-amends-72703-23705877/

In a candid interview, Duff told the Chronicle: “I’m as loyal as they come, whether the gaffer stays or goes.

“I’d love to try to get us back up.

“I’ve loved working with him.

It’s been a proper, proper football club for eight weeks, and it’s about time.

“It’s just disappointing we couldn’t stay up for him and the fans.

“I think he’s been brilliant, even though we haven’t got the results to keep us up.

It’s the first time in a long while that this place has felt like a proper football club.

Things are done right, and it’s been a breath of fresh air. If there’s one man to get us back up, it’s him.”

Those comments piss me right off. What does that say about how the club was run before Shearer arrived? Mike Ashley got everything he deserved. Unfortunately the fans, the city, the club, some staff and players and the local economy are 'collateral damage' in his punishment.

One thing that does puzzle me about Shearer is I'm still not sure what his football philosophy is. Does he believe in passing football or direct style? KK imprinted the passing style almost immediately and Roy Hodgson did likewise at Fulham, but we have no style of play whatsoever currently. The keeper's still hoofing the ball 70 yds which is never a good sign.

One thing that does puzzle me about Shearer is I'm still not sure what his football philosophy is. Does he believe in passing football or direct style? KK imprinted the passing style almost immediately and Roy Hodgson did likewise at Fulham, but we have no style of play whatsoever currently. The keeper's still hoofing the ball 70 yds which is never a good sign.

Comes back to "You can't polish a turd". He probably hasn't got the players to play in the style he'd want. He often talked about creating chances for the strikers. I'd imagine he'll want wingers who can provide crosses for the strikers.

Keegan and Hodgson aren't newbies at the trade, tbf.

Shearer could be a good manager, but he isn't one yet.

Comes back to "You can't polish a turd". He probably hasn't got the players to play in the style he'd want. He often talked about creating chances for the strikers. I'd imagine he'll want wingers who can provide crosses for the strikers.

I agree...it's pretty difficult to play passing football with players who can't pass or run.

Guest firetotheworks

I agree...it's pretty difficult to play passing football with players who can't pass or run.

Agreed, he's often talked about players taking risks in the right area of the field, enjoying their football and expressing themselves. That definitely leans towards playing the passing game. Unfortunately, he probably quickly realised (or had it forced upon him with Barton being banned) that he doesnt have anyone in the middle of the field to do that, and had to compromise. I think we can count on him being uncompromising in getting who he needs next season should he stay.

Shearer will be given time off the fans that other managers probably wouldn't get.

i have to say i'm reading this more and more and i hate it (not aimed at you personally). why on earth are we as a set of football fans not able to give time to a manager unless we have some previous affinity with them? we're constantly trying to refute claims that our fans have un-realistic expectations and yet at the same time it almost seems to be accepted now that as fans we wont give a manager time unless we've had their name on the back of our shirt at some point. what the fuck's wrong with us?

This is something that's bothered me for a while now, though I think it only really relates to two figures - Keegan and Shearer. There may be a tendency for a club that's big on support but short on success to focus on particular heroes, but in recent years, and with those two, it's become a bit of a problem.

Shearer the player was given a special status at the club, and was able to carry on for two seasons too long as a first team regular. Our decline as a team set in from that period, and prospective managers were reluctant to join us with that issue in the background. That's not Shearer's fault - every player wants to play - but it did us more harm than good long-term.

Keegan seemed to have lost his passion for the game, and had left his two previous jobs under a cloud. If it wasn't for his name, he wouldn't have been considered second time round, and his behaviour in quitting would have come in for far more criticism. It's a dangerous situation when someone becomes bigger than the club.

Shearer shows promise as a manager, but if he decides against taking up the job permanently, I hope (no doubt forlornly) that people don't instantly start blaming Ashley for not offering him everything he wanted. His motivation to become a manager has always been a bit uncertain, and he didn't actually get any better results than Kinnear. Let's appreciate him for the qualities he shows, but not put him on a pedestal.

I was doing okay yestedray until I seen him biteing his lip and fighting back the tears, then his interview nearly killed me, so hear felt I felt sick for him I really did.

He will not back down with Ashley if they want him and lets face it they need him, he MUST have full controll as Wenger and Fergie do, give him 5 years to do what he can, if its working offer him as long as he wnats, if not then we can move on. If Ashley gets him in then does a Keegan on him I think it will be the end for Ashley  & Co at the Toon. Can Al get them to see where they went wrong and can he get them to change things? well if anyone can Al can.

From the Chronicle:

UNDER-pressure Toon tycoon Mike Ashley will offer Alan Shearer a four-year contract this week in the aftermath of Newcastle United’s relegation from the Premier League.

Angry United supporters were today picking up the pieces after their loss of top- flight status, having watched their side bow out of the big time with a whimper in a 1-0 defeat against Aston Villa.

For some, only the appointment of Shearer will see them return to St James’s Park, having seen the current regime make a complete mess of this once-proud club through a series of naive and suicidal decisions.

And managing director Llambias – who was getting back to work today – said: “Mike Ashley and I will sit down with Alan this week to discuss how the club moves forward again, and I hope to be able to say more to our supporters later this week.

“Being relegated is a huge disappointment for everyone involved with Newcastle United.

“We are all hurting, and I feel desperately sorry for everyone associated with Newcastle United; for Mike Ashley, who has invested heavily in the club, and for the supporters who have given the team magnificent backing up and down the country all season long.”

But while United fans are in a state of utter devastation after seeing 16 years as a Premier League side come to an end, Shearer has already warned Ashley and his managing director Derek Llambias that time is against them in their bid to get to grips with the Championship.

Shearer will first lay down the law on what he needs to rebuild shattered Newcastle. And that is certain to include:

A MAJOR overhaul of the squad with big earners to be shown the door;

TOTAL control on transfers and player recruitment;

A BUDGET capable of making sure Newcastle are not left wanting when it comes to reshaping their squad;

A RE-JIG of the Toon backroom with Colin Calderwood and Chris Hughton likely to leave and former United coach John Carver in the frame to return to St James’s.

Life in the Championship will start on August 8 for Newcastle and the fixture list will be out in mid-June. Shearer will also have to modify a pre-season training schedule for United and plans to play in a summer tournament in Spain, hosted be Deportivo la Coruna as part of the Fabricio Coloccini and Xisco deals, may be scrapped due to United losing their top flight status.

A concerned Shearer told the Chronicle: “The problem this club has got is, whether it’s in this league or not, the other Championship teams have already started preparing.

“For example regarding players and everything else.

“Newcastle United are already lagging behind. The sooner a decision is made the better for everyone.

“It needs to be filled with people who love this club. Newcastle will be a huge scalp for the whole of the Championship.

“We’re up against it all ready. We have to get over what happened at Aston Villa.

“We need to look at it with a clear head. I will give them my opinion on what is wrong and what needs to be done.”

Shearer was prepared to take his own fair share of responsibility for the Mags’ relegation too and added: “It’s across the 38 games.

“People will look at myself, people will look at Kevin, Joe and Chris and Mike or whoever.

“As a football club big mistakes have been made. People are entitled to ask questions.

“The simple fact is, Newcastle will be starting next season as a Championship side.

“We’ll be a big scalp for everyone. Big decisions need to be made and need to be made soon.

“I will give my opinions to the men in charge and then it’s up to them to see where they want to go.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/05/25/sort-this-shambles-plea-to-shearer-72703-23705786/

Just seen on ssn that the chronicles saying the board are going to offer him a 4 year deal!

Lets bloody well hope so

there's a story in the guardian saying that too

offering the deal, personal terms etc is the easy bit. the hard bit is persuading him that the other areas of the club are going to be to his satisfaction.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/may/25/alan-shearer-mike-ashley-newcastle

Alan Shearer will meet Mike Ashley tomorrow to try to thrash out an agreement which would see him sign a four-year contract as Newcastle United's manager.

Before signing Shearer will drive a hard bargain with the owner of the newly relegated club. While Ashley has placed a deal running until 2013 on the table, the former England captain seems set to demand total autonomy over recruitment, a radical backroom revamp and a significant transfer budget.

After failing to prevent the team from dropping into the Championship during his eight-game stay, Shearer will inform Ashley that the club require root-and-branch reform and advise the owner to help fund an immediate return to the Premier League by making a further investment, possibly as much as £30m.

While the legal loose ends of Shearer's contract may not be tied up overnight, he has stressed the need for Ashley and his managing director, Derek Llambias, to act quickly. "Newcastle needs to be filled with people who love this club," he said. "The problem we've already got is that we're lagging behind the other Championship teams who have already started preparing for next season. Newcastle will be a huge scalp for the whole of the Championship and we're up against it already so big decisions need to be made and need to be made soon. I will give my opinions to the men in charge and then it's up to them to see where they want to go."

Changes behind the scenes are expected to include the replacement of the senior coaches Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood with John Carver. Until recently the manager of Toronto FC in Canada, Carver was extremely highly rated by Ruud Gullit and Sir Bobby Robson while serving as first-team coach under their charge. It is thought Carver's sudden resignation from Toronto and recent return to Tyneside are not entirely coincidental.

Shearer also appears ready to create a role for his tactically astute former Newcastle and England team-mate Rob Lee, while Bob Dowie, the brother of Shearer's assistant Iain Dowie, may also become part of the new regime.

Shearer and Ashley are agreed that there needs to be a mass clear-out of high-earning players – Newcastle have 15 of them commanding in excess of £50,000 a week – although, with many on long-term contracts this may be easier said than done. At first glance they look unlikely bedfellows but Newcastle's owner has been effectively backed into a corner by the club's record scorer and, with Shearer in a position of considerable strength, he is expected to bow to demands.

Should negotiations break down and the local hero instead return to his former job as a pundit for the BBC, Ashley would face the full wrath of Newcastle fans who have struggled to forgive him for allowing Kevin Keegan to walk out last September.

Moreover senior Newcastle players have urged the multimillionaire retailer to do everything in his power to retain Shearer. Steven Taylor and Damien Duff believe a major rethink is required at St James' Park and that Shearer is not only the right man to re-formulate philosophy and policy but also to lead them back into the Premier League. In a damning indictment of the modus operandi of previous managers, among them Joe Kinnear, Keegan and Sam Allardyce, Duff revealed. "This has been a proper club for eight weeks now."

Tellingly Shearer, who has already overhauled the medical and scouting departments, is the first manager working for Ashley to have extracted significant concessions about the way the club is run from a man with whom Allardyce and Keegan struggled to communicate.

The Ireland winger, signed three years ago from Chelsea by Glenn Roeder, feels such managerial clout will pay long-term dividends. "It's the first time in a long time that this place has felt like a proper football club," Duff said. "Alan Shearer has been brilliant for eight weeks. If there is one man to get us back up into the Premier League, it is him. Hopefully the gaffer will stay."

Taylor, an England Under-21 centre-half, said: "There have to be big changes after this. People have to realise it is an honour to play for Newcastle United football club. You have to give it 100%. The past 10 months haven't been good enough. We need more belief and a positive mental attitude back. We need stability. The only person I think can take Newcastle back up to the Premier League is Alan Shearer. He has been fantastic to work with."

Just seen on ssn that the chronicles saying the board are going to offer him a 4 year deal!

Lets bloody well hope so

there's a story in the guardian saying that too

offering the deal, personal terms etc is the easy bit. the hard bit is persuading him that the other areas of the club are going to be to his satisfaction.

Precisely.

i have to say i'm cautiously optimistic. as soon as wise left i thought he'd be here next season and i haven't seen or heard anything thats changed my mind yet. shearer mentioned in his press conference after joining that he asked questions of ashley and was given the right answers on all of them, so now i'm hoping that ashley sees al as the man to bring us back up as he obviously saw him as the man to keep us up.

now with these stories and the fact that shearer's saying things need to be sorted quickly i'm hopeful.

totally off topic btw but does anyone know when to expect renewal letters? anything been said about prices or anything?

i have to say i'm cautiously optimistic. as soon as wise left i thought he'd be here next season and i haven't seen or heard anything thats changed my mind yet. shearer mentioned in his press conference after joining that he asked questions of ashley and was given the right answers on all of them, so now i'm hoping that ashley sees al as the man to bring us back up as he obviously saw him as the man to keep us up.

now with these stories and the fact that shearer's saying things need to be sorted quickly i'm hopeful.

totally off topic btw but does anyone know when to expect renewal letters? anything been said about prices or anything?

Or maybe not.

Turning out as I thought it would. New backroom staff which should really affect the way our team plays. Shearer was here for the short-run and made the players play the type of game he thought would help us scrap some points, but if he's here for the long-run, I think the style that we've seen isn't necessarily the one that we should now expect.

I'm excited in a perverse sort of way for our team being rebuilt by someone I have blind faith in. Although I was devastated after yesterday and will be for some time. The thought of our team being rebuilt and being balanced for a change gives me hope we will get back up and be better than before. It is all blind faith though and hope shearer stays because it will give us our identity  back.

One things for sure, Shearer is right on being prepared - a decision needs made asap on manager and whatever changes need implementing bin player personel, backroom staff and structures need to be in place very quickly.