Realistic Summer Targets 2009

Kasper

pretty certain he's not been mentioned yet but the Bugarian defender - Aleksander Tunchev from Leicester. An excellent defender IMO and definitely more than good enough for the Championship and lesser EPL club. good in the air, strong in the tackle, good in set pieces situations and he is is also very smart. I am surprised we aren't hearing more rumours about him from clubs higher up.

Steve Howard , the geordie is a good player at this level. Perfect target man. Big, strong, tough and a great header of the ball, and a very good touch for a big man as well. What he lacks in speed and perzazz, he makes up for with strength and effectiveness.....if he wasn't in his 30's, might've been worth a try. Or even a 1 year deal.

Guest defo

"Theres a few reports that Huddlestone will be on his bike if Spuds get Arteta I would like to see him in the middle of the park alongside a box to box". Forget it, that's a different world now, Huddlestone is wanted by Villa and probably several other prem clubs - he'a good player.

Papers are saying Shearer wants Gunter to kickstart the "change". This is the shape of things to come - A kid who can't even get onto Spurs bench.

Papers are saying Shearer wants Gunter to kickstart the "change". This is the shape of things to come - A kid who can't even get onto Spurs bench.

Aye, because we should be aiming for first team Premiership players, because they'll come  :rolleyes:

Aye, because we should be aiming for first team Premiership players, because they'll come  :rolleyes:

Gunter had a lot of potential pre spuds, but they signed hutton and he aint getting back in, worth a pop for sure.

"Theres a few reports that Huddlestone will be on his bike if Spuds get Arteta I would like to see him in the middle of the park alongside a box to box". Forget it, that's a different world now, Huddlestone is wanted by Villa and probably several other prem clubs - he'a good player.

LOL at Arteta to Spurs. :lol:

Out of interest, and with all due respect, has there been a serious bid for Arteta from a bigger club yet, i.e. a top end CL one? Or is he a highlights player or something, i.e. blows hot and cold and looks good only when you see him having a good game? Has there been any real interest in him from the elites?

Always thought he was underrated and should be playing for someone like Real Madrid. Maybe not world class or a true international calibre player, but at club level he has that mix of technical ability and workrate (from what I've seen, and compared to the likes of Deco anyway) that would make him a good squad midfielder to have for a CL club.

Out of interest, and with all due respect, has there been a serious bid for Arteta from a bigger club yet, i.e. a top end CL one? Or is he a highlights player or something, i.e. blows hot and cold and looks good only when you see him having a good game? Has there been any real interest in him from the elites?

Always thought he was underrated and should be playing for someone like Real Madrid. Maybe not world class or a true international calibre player, but at club level he has that mix of technical ability and workrate (from what I've seen, and compared to the likes of Deco anyway) that would make him a good squad midfielder to have for a CL club.

He's definitely not a highlights player. Puts a half decent shift in for the type of player he is and when he moved into central midfield this year he was out of this world after going stale out wide.

Not sure whether there has been any interest from a club the stature of Milan, Real Madrid or suchlike but I think Atletico Madrid have tried to buy him a few times and been knocked back.

I don't think he would actively want to leave us unless a really top side made an offer or if he got fed up of not being picked for Spain and in that case I wouldn't really blame him but there is 0% chance of him going to somewhere like Spurs. Quite offensive actually, the idea that they could just come in and take him off us when it's a sideways step at best.

Yeah, if you believe the reports, we were close to losing him to Atletico last summer (or maybe the January before that) for £12m. Now I wouldn't want anything less than £20m for him, in today's market.

A total disgrace that he doesn't get into the Spain squad.

Yeah, if you believe the reports, we were close to losing him to Atletico last summer (or maybe the January before that) for £12m. Now I wouldn't want anything less than £20m for him, in today's market.

I flew into Heathrow last Friday and followed him out of baggage reclaim (he was with all of his family - load of them - on their way to watch the cup final).

Not what I expected in the flesh - very tall and skinny as owt. I thought he'd be bigger built.

Anyhow, nothing to do with your posts, so I'll bugger off out of here!

Not really when you think of the talent they have in midfield. Would pick Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Senna and Fabregas ahead of Arteta off the top of my head. Probably Alonso too.

Guest pont-toon

Think Gunter would be a very good signing if we could get him

wouldnt leave Central Perk to join our circus of a club

maybe if Rachel was manager

Think Gunter would be a very good signing if we could get him

Think so too. Although ominous for the future of Beye? No reason why we wouldnt keep him and move him as the experienced CB we need though, he is quite adept at both positions.

Gunter is capable of playing either fullback and did some work for Forest at right midfield. I really like him, but he's not better than Hutton or Corluka right now. Give him a couple of years in the Championship.

I'd rather have Gunter than Ryan Taylor tbh.

Not really when you think of the talent they have in midfield. Would pick Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Senna and Fabregas ahead of Arteta off the top of my head. Probably Alonso too.

I'll rephrase. A big shame that such a talented player isn't recognised on an international stage.

Gunter is capable of playing either fullback and did some work for Forest at right midfield. I really like him, but he's not better than Hutton or Corluka right now. Give him a couple of years in the Championship.

I'd rather have Gunter than Ryan Taylor tbh.

I think most people would rather anyone than Ryan Taylor tbh.

kasper risgård is out of contract. box to box midfielder who can score goals. Played a lot of european matches for Aab including Champions League. maybe as back up for central midfield. will be cheap on wages. Dont think he will ever be a PL player though!

kasper risgård is out of contract. box to box midfielder who can score goals. Played a lot of european matches for Aab including Champions League. maybe as back up for central midfield. will be cheap on wages. Dont think he will ever be a PL player though!

well we need to avoid him then. We need to start building for the future and any player who will never be up to it in the premiership probably isn't worth gambling on for the championship

Beckford is an exception to this, because he's so proven in league one