Realistic Summer Targets 2009

Kasper

kasper risgård is out of contract. box to box midfielder who can score goals. Played a lot of european matches for Aab including Champions League. maybe as back up for central midfield. will be cheap on wages. Dont think he will ever be a PL player though!

well we need to avoid him then. We need to start building for the future and any player who will never be up to it in the premiership probably isn't worth gambling on for the championship

Beckford is an exception to this, because he's so proven in league one

Guess your right! No point in signing players who probably wont have the talent for the PL. But players like him could be nessesary if we manage to ship out players like smith, geremi, nolan, butt, barton. Squad players and backups are still needed....maybe short contracts (2 years) to see if they can develop! A cheap experienced player in central midfield could be ok as well....but not any of the oldies we have now!

Guest Walking in a waddle wonde

Has anyone seen much of the Toulon Tournament? must be more than a few realistic young gems on show.

A total disgrace that he doesn't get into the Spain squad.

Not really when you think of the talent they have in midfield. Would pick Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Senna and Fabregas ahead of Arteta off the top of my head. Probably Alonso too.

I'll rephrase. A big shame that such a talented player isn't recognised on an international stage.

Must be close to being eligible for England?

A total disgrace that he doesn't get into the Spain squad.

Not really when you think of the talent they have in midfield. Would pick Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Senna and Fabregas ahead of Arteta off the top of my head. Probably Alonso too.

I'll rephrase. A big shame that such a talented player isn't recognised on an international stage.

Must be close to being eligible for England?

Just about a year left, I think.

kasper risgård is out of contract. box to box midfielder who can score goals. Played a lot of european matches for Aab including Champions League. maybe as back up for central midfield. will be cheap on wages. Dont think he will ever be a PL player though!

well we need to avoid him then. We need to start building for the future and any player who will never be up to it in the premiership probably isn't worth gambling on for the championship

Whilst i agree we do need to look ahead at some point... i think now is the time to be incremental in our planning. We need to get out of this division, and the longer we stay here - the harder it will ultimately get. The next few years is going to be an absolute slog - and it'll be a long, long time before we're building a squad that's capable of the top half/top six of the Premiership.

I wouldn't be against a few 'Stephen Carrs' incoming this summer, if it meant we went straight back up (horrible example, but you know what i mean).

Whilst i agree we do need to look ahead at some point... i think now is the time to be incremental in our planning. We need to get out of this division, and the longer we stay here - the harder it will ultimately get. The next few years is going to be an absolute slog - and it'll be a long, long time before we're building a squad that's capable of the top half/top six of the Premiership.

I wouldn't be against a few 'Stephen Carrs' incoming this summer, if it meant we went straight back up (horrible example, but you know what i mean).

The reason we went down is because we had about 4 or 5 Stephen Carr's. :lol:

We actually went down cos Keegan bailed o.......................................... ;)

I don't really agree with you there. There was enough individual talent in the squad to keep us up in my opinion, but their hearts and minds were somewhere else entirely.

It was basically just in reply to Ronaldo's "we need to build for the future" comment. That's not a priority atm; the priority is the short term. We need to get back into the Premiership; the longer we're down here, the harder it'll be to get back up. If we pin our hopes on long-term 'maybes', and end up not getting promoted, it'll have been a bad move. We need three or four proven players first and foremost. A mix of the two would be ideal, cos we do want a younger and hungrier squad ultimately.

We actually went down cos Keegan bailed o.......................................... ;)

I don't really agree with you there. There was enough individual talent in the squad to keep us up in my opinion, but their hearts and minds were somewhere else entirely.

It was basically just in reply to Ronaldo's "we need to build for the future" comment. That's not a priority atm; the priority is the short term. We need to get back into the Premiership; the longer we're down here, the harder it'll be to get back up. If we pin our hopes on long-term 'maybes', and end up not getting promoted, it'll have been a bad move. We need three or four proven players first and foremost. A mix of the two would be ideal, cos we do want a younger and hungrier squad ultimately.

Short term planning is what got us into this mess. Last season we had a team laced with captains and experience, look where it got us. We need to invest in relatively proven players the right side of 25

----------------------------- Harper----------------------------

Beye---------------Taylor---------Bassong------------Enrique

De Ridder-----------Butt------Taarabt-------------Commons

-------------------Ranger/Lualua------Carroll-------------------

(If not Viduka on a pay as you play)

Jack Wilshire & Darron Gibson on loan.

The defence is good, the rest of the team is pathetic and I hope this post is a wind-up

Thats just a rough idea of a team - are you telling me you would not want Taarabt or De Ridder? Are they players who would be pathetic? Imo they'd blatently be good players to be in for, do you know we're in the championship? We need hungry younger players, Butt might actually be useful with legs around him at breaking up the play, though granted a proper replacement would be best.

I know people hate it and don't really believe it but some of our "shit" players are going to look better in this league.

Ok stepping down a league isn't going to suddenly improve their ability but given the step down in quality they are going to perform better (Carr mentioned above is a perfect example).

If people like Nolan, Ryan Taylor, Duff etc stay I wouldn't be surprised if they are some of the better players in the league next season.

I think Ryan Taylor is worth perceivering with for a season especially in the Championship. Get him on form and we've got a versatile defender, wingback who can also score goals. He's also done low level football before as well so not scared of what will face him, or be surprised.

Nolan i'm 50-50 with. He's not on a huge wage and we can sustain him, think in a winning team he'd be a totally different player to the one we've seen. Someone i'd be getting rid of though when back in the prem, but if he has a good season, and another player who can score goals, then we should get our money back no problem.

Duff can swivel on it.

From a Spurs fan on another forum:

Haha Chris Gunter apparently turning down a move to Newcastle in favour of going back to Forest on loan. wp lad

That was in the NOTW.

Guest MrSundlofer

Some really crap players named here with no potential at all. We need to sort the team slowly but fast during the summer. With some players named here we could be a classic Championship side. One season, then we're off!

Our targets in the summer should be: Alan Shearer (manager), Ian Dowie (assistant manager), John Carver (first team coach), Rob Lee (first team coach) and Nolberto Solano (first team coach).

No need to sign any keepers. Steve Harper will be okay for one season in the Championship with Tim Krul fighting to be in the first eleven. Fraser Forster, Ole Söderberg, Max Johnson and Jak Alnwick all behind them, so no need to sign a keeper during this summer.

Instead of buying a player like old Andy Griffin as backup to Habib Beye, why not try to develope James Tavernier? Born year 1991 and have played well for the reserves last season. Still not ready, but with training in the first team he can get some chances.

Someone mentioned Roger Johnson from Cardiff City. Yeah, a good player in the Championship, but good enough for Newcastle United? I can't see him in the future England national team. When we buy players this summer we must look one steep ahead. Not buy players for "now", we must buy them for "now and for the future". Two in one.

And why just look at players in the Championship and League One? Why buy misfits from Manchester United? Why buy De Ridder? There is a whole world out there with better players we can buy. Newcastle United still has a good reputation around the world and should be able to attract good players. There is some really good players in the Norwegian, Swedish and the Danish league ready to sign for us.

This summer is very important for us to get it all right. Why not play an attacking 4-2-3-1 and give some of our players the chance: Nile Ranger, Andy Carroll, James Tavernier, Haris Vuckic, Ryan Donaldson.

We should also look at players in Brazil. Many of them may sign for us in the Championship. What I want to say with this post is that we MUST try something new this time. We will lose a lot of high paid players now, and must do it better next time. What time is now.