RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/8078158.stm

Owner Ashley, who bought Newcastle in 2007 for £134.4m, has put the club up for sale for a second time and apologised to fans for his "catastrophic" reign in charge of the club.

The American is thought to be willing to accept around £80m for the club as he looks for a quick sale.

:dowie:

:mackems:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/8078158.stm

Owner Ashley, who bought Newcastle in 2007 for £134.4m, has put the club up for sale for a second time and apologised to fans for his "catastrophic" reign in charge of the club.

The American is thought to be willing to accept around £80m for the club as he looks for a quick sale.

:dowie:

Can see the confusion.  A fat wanker with no clue about football practically screams American owner.

From The Sun:

ALAN SHEARER still wants to manage Newcastle - despite Mike Ashley's sale plans causing meltdown.

Shearer was rocked by Ashley's decision to sell just as a blueprint was being drawn up to help Toon bounce back from the drop.

Squad-building for a promotion push will have to take a back seat while new owners are sought.

However, Shearer said: "I met Mike Ashley and chairman Derek Llambias last week and we discussed at length the future of Newcastle United and my desire to be the manager moving forward.

"I made no demands but there were obvious conditions. We simply proposed an honest evaluation of what was needed to get the club back into the Premier League, whilst building solid foundations for the future."

The Toon Army have been left reeling by the revelation Ashley could have flogged the club for £200million last October.

New Portsmouth owner Dr Sulaiman Al Fahim says he was interested in buying the Toon last year. But Ashley wanted £400m - a £160m profit on his £240m investment.

Al Fahim said: "I'd have paid £200m for Newcastle because it's a great club. But the guy wanted £400m. He's got to be kidding."

Six months on, Ashley is prepared to take just £100m. Potential buyers from Oman and a UK-based consortium have been linked with a move.

But City sources believe it would be foolish to believe a quick sale is round the corner.

Football investment expert Vinay Bedi said: "Unless he is very, very lucky, it will take a long time for Ashley to get rid of the club. It is another unusual move."

What a mess we truly are  :sadnod:

From The Sun:

ALAN SHEARER still wants to manage Newcastle - despite Mike Ashley's sale plans causing meltdown.

Shearer was rocked by Ashley's decision to sell just as a blueprint was being drawn up to help Toon bounce back from the drop.

Squad-building for a promotion push will have to take a back seat while new owners are sought.

However, Shearer said: "I met Mike Ashley and chairman Derek Llambias last week and we discussed at length the future of Newcastle United and my desire to be the manager moving forward.

"I made no demands but there were obvious conditions. We simply proposed an honest evaluation of what was needed to get the club back into the Premier League, whilst building solid foundations for the future."

The Toon Army have been left reeling by the revelation Ashley could have flogged the club for £200million last October.

[glow=red,2,300]New Portsmouth owner Dr Sulaiman Al Fahim says he was interested in buying the Toon last year. But Ashley wanted £400m - a £160m profit on his £240m investment.

Al Fahim said: "I'd have paid £200m for Newcastle because it's a great club. But the guy wanted £400m. He's got to be kidding."[/glow]

Six months on, Ashley is prepared to take just £100m. Potential buyers from Oman and a UK-based consortium have been linked with a move.

But City sources believe it would be foolish to believe a quick sale is round the corner.

Football investment expert Vinay Bedi said: "Unless he is very, very lucky, it will take a long time for Ashley to get rid of the club. It is another unusual move."

What a mess we truly are  :sadnod:

Confirmation of the reported rumblings pertaining to Ashley's trip to the Middle East last year ie.trying to take the piss out of the obviously wealthy Arabs/a desperate money grab from a gambler in Ashley who attempted to nearly double-up on his total investment. The club was worth nowhere near Ashley's valuation, and the Arabs called the thick c***'s bluff.

quayside, serious question: who determines the flotation value of PLC shares?

The company has advisors (a merchant bank, stockbroker) who would put a value on it based both on its historical performance and more importantly on its projected performance. The projections are then examined by an independent firm of accountants and tested for reasonableness. It is then "floated". The company's merchant bank would underwrite the floatation .i.e. buy any excess shares not bought by the public or other institutions. The valuation was not Ashley's although he would have had a target in mind and prepared projections accordingly.

The company has substantially underperformed since floating. There has also been a lot of criticism of the communication by Sports Direct and its PR generally is pretty awful (Ashley called his shareholders "whingers" in an interview not so long ago). Ashley has also taken flak for appointing people who are mates of his and not considered to be up to the job. In some ways thats fair enough because the City's assessment of being up to a job isn't always fair or based on detailed knowledge, but when results are disappointing its hard to defend. I only mention all this because there is a bit of a familiar pattern in some of it.   

Used to describe shareholders who were thinking of cutting their losses & selling up. There was also a reference - made by Ashley - something along the lines of 'only having time for investors/shareholders who were in it for the long haul'.

As far as I'm concerned this whole story is more Ashley smoke and mirrors bullshit, probably put out there to strengthen his hand against Shearer and allow him to bring back Joe F. Kinnear. Why go public with a sale at such a delicate time if there is already buyer's lined up? Ashley isn't going to sell unless he gets what he thinks is a fair price, he would rather run the club on a shoestring under Kinnear, hoping enough fans turn up to keep it going on life support rather than bite the bullet and back Shearer with money to go for instant promotion. This is how he operates and has done so consistently in his time here.

As far as I'm concerned this whole story is more Ashley smoke and mirrors bullshit, probably put out there to strengthen his hand against Shearer and allow him to bring back Joe F. Kinnear. Why go public with a sale at such a delicate time if there is already buyer's lined up? Ashley isn't going to sell unless he gets what he thinks is a fair price, he would rather run the club on a shoestring under Kinnear, hoping enough fans turn up to keep it going on life support rather than bite the bullet and back Shearer with money to go for instant promotion. This is how he operates and has done so consistently in his time here.

Matches the M.O. pertaining to the board in the 80's.

Well there is only one billionaire in OMAN he is PNC Menon and only has a piddly $1.3 bil. So whether he is involved in this or there are loads of them I don't know. But I think its probably a load of shit.

The Sultan of Oman will certainly be a multi-multi billionaire, I'm sure other members of the Oman royal family will be as well.

Guest toonlass

If it was an Omani consortium would it not be possible that several very wealthy people have grouped together, meaning mega money?

Do you think Ashley would have put the for sale signs up if we'd stayed up?  I'm imagining we'd have ended up with him wanting Shearer to stay, Al refusing unless Ashley meets demands he feels he's unable to, and Mike continuing to plod on with JFKL or Dowie.

Dont know if already posted, but the bloke who just bought Portsmouth said he wanted to buy us a couple of months ago for 200million but Ashley told him he wanted 400million.

...then he went to the bar and got pissed with Lambiarse.