RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Really wouldn't believe much that Greame Souness says. This is the guy who didn't rate Beardsley, refused Robbie Keane for £3m, sold Bellamy for peanuts and would have kept Shearer in the team till he was 50. It easy enough to point to good players now and says, 'i wanted him but so and so didn't.'

Not saying Shepherd is ideal, but i'd trust him before Souness any day of the week. Shep made his mistakes but funnily enough was starting to get it spot on when the club was sold from under him.

erm...no

Really wouldn't believe much that Greame Souness says. This is the guy who didn't rate Beardsley, refused Robbie Keane for £3m, sold Bellamy for peanuts and would have kept Shearer in the team till he was 50. It easy enough to point to good players now and says, 'i wanted him but so and so didn't.'

Not saying Shepherd is ideal, but i'd trust him before Souness any day of the week. Shep made his mistakes but funnily enough was starting to get it spot on when the club was sold from under him.

Example of getting something spot on needed. (/Wiki)

erm...no

He'd hired a good manager at exactly the right time and promptly gave him the funds to bring in new players

Guest Stephen927

Example of getting something spot on needed. (/Wiki)

Citation needed.

:lol:

Are you high? :lol:

erm...no

He'd hired a good manager at exactly the right time and promptly gave him the funds to bring in new players

i disagree about allardyce being a good manager and whom did he bring in  ?

erm...no

Didn't Ashley do that?

Shepherd's net spend by the end of June was £6.5m, having signed Viduka and Barton, 2 good players as it happens. Had Allardyce remained in charge we may have seen the best of them, who knows

Allardyce may be a cunt but saying he isn't a good manager is daft, Blackburn won something like 10 games under him, with that pile of shite squad

What, so because he sacked Roedent and appointed Allardyce he was starting to get things spot on?

Yes the takeover halted Big Sam in the market but he still brought absolute dross which we still can't get rid of. We'd still have had the likes of Barton, Cacapa, Rozenhal and Smith if Shepherd was still chairman more than likely than not.

What, so because he sacked Roedent and appointed Allardyce he was starting to get things spot on?

Yes the takeover halted Big Sam in the market but he still brought absolute dross which we still can't get rid of. We'd still have had the likes of Barton, Cacapa, Rozenhal and Smith if Shepherd was still chairman more than likely than not.

We don't.

Shepherd's net spend by the end of June was £6.5m, having signed Viduka and Barton, 2 good players as it happens. Had Allardyce remained in charge we may have seen the best of them, who knows

Allardyce may be a cunt but saying he isn't a good manager is daft, Blackburn won something like 10 games under him, with that pile of shite squad

There are so many times when he looked as if he was getting it right. Sacking Souness, not rushing into an appointment midseason when Roeder was doing the business, sacking Roeder. He never learnt from his mistakes and i've got no reason to believe Fat Sam would've done any better here under FFS. In fact he'd have been sacked earlier than he was under Ashley and we'd have been managed by someone like Aidy fucking Boothroyd.

I'd say that by the end he was perhaps starting to think a bit more logically - the appointment of Allardyce was in good time and made sense - but to say he was 'starting to get it spot on' is ridiculous.

Allardyce may be a c*** but saying he isn't a good manager is daft, Blackburn won something like 10 games under him, with that pile of s**** squad

Shepherd would have sacked him the exact same time Ashley did. Allardyce was a disaster for us, even the players thought he was a joke. We had the chance of getting MON and he blew that one. He is the encyclopedia of mistakes.

His position at the time the club was sold was unbearable. He would have been forced out sooner or later anyway by either the fans or his incompetence, the hatred was not too disimilar to Ashley now.

I agreed with the rest of your original post though.

Allardyce may be a c*** but saying he isn't a good manager is daft, Blackburn won something like 10 games under him, with that pile of s**** squad

Shepherd would have sacked him the exact same time Ashley did. Allardyce was a disaster for us, even the players thought he was a joke. We had the chance of getting MON and he blew that one. He is the encyclopedia of mistakes.

His position at the time the club was sold was unbearable. He would have been forced out sooner or later anyway by either the fans or his incompetence, the hatred was not too disimilar to Ashley now.

I agreed with the rest of your original post though.

Barton has turned out to be one of the worst signings of all time so can't really justify that one I'm afraid. He may be a decent player but that is negated by the fact that he plays fuck all games and is a source of constant terrible press.

Guest Stephen927

A couple of things might have been different if Shepherd and Allardyce had more time to work together. A couple of Allardyce's earlier targets could have been signed before they moved to other clubs while Ashley was sorting the books, although who is to say that there would have been a club if Shepherd had stayed on, what were our finances like and could the debt have been sustainable?

"agree with the rest of" that original post.. for the record  :blush:

Guest Stephen927

The thing with Shepherd was he swung from one extreme to another when appointing a manager. Bobby lost the dressing room, so he appointed a known disciplinarian. Souness didn't work so he went for a nice guy who would be his yes man and provide a cheap option to steady the ship so the club could settle down after Souness' spending spree the previous summer had disastrous effects.

Perhaps the fans would have had more patience with Allardyce if Shepherd was chairman. We all knew the finances were fucked so perhaps could have understood easier that it would take time to turn things around. When Ashley came in a lot thought he would splash the cash and things would be on the up quicker than you could say Kevin Keegan. A lot of disgruntlement came because Allardyce was sucking the life out of the team by playing shite football, when a lot thought we could attract more expensive players again and hurry up the development process.

The thing with Shepherd was he swung from one extreme to another when appointing a manager. Bobby lost the dressing room, so he appointed a known disciplinarian. Souness didn't work so he went for a nice guy who would be his yes man and provide a cheap option to steady the ship so the club could settle down after Souness' spending spree the previous summer had disastrous effects.

Perhaps the fans would have had more patience with Allardyce if Shepherd was chairman. We all knew the finances were fucked so perhaps could have understood easier that it would take time to turn things around. When Ashley came in a lot thought he would splash the cash and things would be on the up quicker than you could say Kevin Keegan. A lot of disgruntlement came because Allardyce was sucking the life out of the team by playing shite football, when a lot thought we could attract more expensive players again and hurry up the development process.

That's all spot on, particularly the first paragraph. It was almost like him plugging a leak, then removing the cork from that to plug a different leak. Either way, the whole thing was still in trouble.

Sensible post. :thup:

A couple of things might have been different if Shepherd and Allardyce had more time to work together. A couple of Allardyce's earlier targets could have been signed before they moved to other clubs while Ashley was sorting the books, although who is to say that there would have been a club if Shepherd had stayed on, what were our finances like and could the debt have been sustainable?

Our finances were completely out of control and no.

As has been mentioned many times though, this is a consortium with Shepherd as the figurehead.

He will be an employee like anyone else and his actions will have to be justified. If they appoint him as Chairman, they may even bring other directors on board who Shepherd is accountable to.

Basically it's a group of people who see that he has contacts within the game, and they want to tap in to this and use his "knowledge" of running a football club.  If he fucks up royally, he'll be as expendable as anyone else

He may be a figurehead, he maybe a big contributor to the consortium and with a potential 33% of ownership (his funds) looming you simply cannot say he's just another employee.

good point, and remember last time as part of what you could call a consortium of the halls and the shepherds, freddy was obsessed about building up his control of the club and expanding his influence, which is why board members weren't replaced, footballing decisions were made by him, and dodgy deals with NTL and MGM were made.

Guest fading star

As has been mentioned many times though, this is a consortium with Shepherd as the figurehead.

He will be an employee like anyone else and his actions will have to be justified. If they appoint him as Chairman, they may even bring other directors on board who Shepherd is accountable to.

Basically it's a group of people who see that he has contacts within the game, and they want to tap in to this and use his "knowledge" of running a football club.  If he f***s up royally, he'll be as expendable as anyone else

He may be a figurehead, he maybe a big contributor to the consortium and with a potential 33% of ownership (his funds) looming you simply cannot say he's just another employee.

good point, and remember last time as part of what you could call a consortium of the halls and the shepherds, freddy was obsessed about building up his control of the club and expanding his influence, which is why board members weren't replaced, footballing decisions were made by him, and dodgy deals with NTL and MGM were made.

Where’s Shepherd going to get £33m from?

Basically it's a group of people who see that he has contacts within the game, and they want to tap in to this and use his "knowledge" of running a football club.  If he f***s up royally, he'll be as expendable as anyone else

Where’s Shepherd going to get £33m from?

are you kidding?