The England Thread

Pilko

Seed 1 - Spain, Holland, Ukraine, Poland

Seed 2 - Germany, Portugal, Italy, England

Seed 3 - Croatia, Greece, France, Russia

Seed 4 - Denmark, Sweden, Serbia, Turkey

Guestimation at the seeding for the group stage draw (Could change massively ofc).  Is done according to ranking.

There's going to be some monster groups.  Our likelihood of getting near a semi is going to be massively swayed by the draw.

This s*** needs to be dropped ASAP.

Agreed. Looks like it is actually a disadvantage for Spain and Holland to be in the seed 1 group.

It took Shearer far too long to drop Owen when he was in charge of us. The little cunt should have been out of the first eleven pretty much immediately. Shearer spoke the usual relegation battle stuff about needing players who were tough or would fight for the cause - and yet selected this wanker who makes Danny Guthrie look like Braveheart's bolshier cousin for nearly every fixture.

It wasn't that simple at the time though, a lot of people still had (unwarranted) faith that we had a top class player on our books that could pop up with a goal.  I know his performances were terrible but Shearer clearly thought he could get the best out of him.  There's a lot of hindsight bullshit going on with Owen and the relegation season imo - the other options weren't brilliant either and we weren't so aware that he had the heart of a pea at the time.

Wrong as I'd have been I'd have generally put Owen in my first 11 and hoped I could get the best out of a player that was the best striker in the country not that long ago.

In fairness, I was saying for a while before Shearer took over that we should be starting the likes of Carroll, Viduka, whatever instead of him purely because they'd contribute more to general play - games passed Owen by because our side just wasn't creating the chances, and on the odd occasion we did, he fluffed them (see Pompey and Boro at home). He was also very weak on the ball and his number of touches was minimal. I'd had enough of the little cunt by then, the Portsmouth miss was the absolute final straw for me.

The Portsmouth and Boro matches were the 4th and 3rd last matches of the season though.  The chances fell his way, he fucked it up, the 'gamble' failed.

I've hit harder shots wearing flipflops.

Thinking about it, we played a 4-4-2 with two basically defensive players in centre mid, two wingers, and a big centre-forward. It didn't work at international level 30 years ago and it certainly won't work now.

In fairness to Capello, his options were limited. We do have players that can get us out of that straitjacket, but Wilshere and Gerrard weren't available. Lampard's past his best but I think should still have started as our best attacking / creative option in the centre.

Will Gerrard really be fit for next year? Or even good? I think we have to plan for not taking him to the tournament. I'd hope Cleverly even if it is very early for him.

I think Capello's thinking is that we have no incisive ability in midfield so we might as well try and be solid defensively there and hope Rooney and co can generate goals.

I don't have a problem with the England manager being foreign - if I'm honest, I think international managers and coaches should all have to be from the country they're involved with just like the players are, I don't know why that's not the case, but it isn't therefore there's no point in hamstringing ourselves.

My problem is that the two foreign managers they've had have had absolutely no experience whatsoever of English football, that's the thing I really can't understand. Due to English football being almost a closed shop as far as exporting players is concerned, I think it's really important that the England manager should have an in-depth working knowledge of the Premier League, it makes no logical sense to have it any other way imo, not just because of a knowledge of the individual players but a knowledge of the way that kids in this country have been coached and brought up so that the manager can try and play to our strengths, whatever they may be.

I don't have a problem with the England manager being foreign - if I'm honest, I think international managers and coaches should all have to be from the country they're involved with, I don't know why that's not the case, but it isn't therefore there's no point in hamstringing ourselves.

My problem is that the two foreign managers they've had have had absolutely no experience whatsoever of English football, that's the thing I really can't understand. Due to English football being almost a closed shop as far as exporting players is concerned, I think it's really important that the England manager should have an in-depth working knowledge of the Premier League, it makes no logical sense to have it any other way imo, not just because of a knowledge of the individual players but a knowledge of the way that kids in this country have been coached and brought up so that the manager can try and play to our strengths, whatever they may be.

:thup:

I don't have a problem with the England manager being foreign - if I'm honest, I think international managers and coaches should all have to be from the country they're involved with just like the players are, I don't know why that's not the case, but it isn't therefore there's no point in hamstringing ourselves.

Pretty much spot on, though I do wonder how successful any manager would be, just don't think we have the players, or at least players willing to give a good shift. The FA however is terrified of ditching players the press would whinge about not being in squad I suspect. Genuinely feel if a player 'doesn't enjoy' playing for england as they put it, probably shouldn't be playing.

Going back a few pages: like it or not, Redknapp will make a really good England manager, probably the best we will have had in some years, possibly decades.

He'll pick on form, play attacking football, media will be behind him like we've never seen and the players will respond to him on and off the pitch. Everything cappello isn't.

The sad thing is, I'm most interested in seeing a united media with Redknapp. Wouldn't call myself a true England fan, but I've grown so sick and tired of the complete assassination of managers that I've seen in my years following football. At least we know that he'll have time to do things his way before any potential witch hunts occur. I don't like the man, but he genuinely seems to be the best choice.

Imagine that thick c*** trying to sort out tactics man he cant even string two sentences together.

Capello can?

Christ. I'd give Capello a 10-year contract right now if I thought it'd prevent Beckham from getting the job.

Stupid footballers don't make good managers, it's as simple as that.