The England Thread

Pilko

Hodgson is either a genius or a mentalist with these call ups.

:undecided:

I really like him and couldn't care less about England but I disagree with his selections. Overall though, he's so likeable and England are so shit that it's not worth worrying about

Why's it so much easier for the media to criticise a partnership than assert that we've not had a striker capable of showing up when it matters since Lineker - Shearer's '96 an exception?

Lineker?

Yes, Lineker.

whats that about?

I've no clue what you're talking about, dude. Since Lineker (see '86 and '90) we've had nobody (bar Shearer's one off) who looked like scoring goals when it mattered in the tournaments. The press for some reason have continually ignored this fact, mainly due to the fact that most of them are in Rooney and Owen's pockets.

Will only have a problem with this if those players are actually involved in the game and perform badly.  If they're there to put out the cones, then whatever.  Just like when Capello would call-up some random L2 goalkeeper as 'cover'.

Why's it so much easier for the media to criticise a partnership than assert that we've not had a striker capable of showing up when it matters since Lineker - Shearer's '96 an exception?

Lineker?

Yes, Lineker.

whats that about?

I've no clue what you're talking about, dude. Since Lineker (see '86 and '90) we've had nobody (bar Shearer's one off) who looked like scoring goals when it mattered in the tournaments. The press for some reason have continually ignored this fact, mainly due to the fact that most of them are in Rooney and Owen's pockets.

I think MW thought the dash meant Lineker-Shearer (as in Lineker and Shearer, as in a strike partnership).

Lineker?

Yes, Lineker.

whats that about?

I think it was people getting confused, thinking you meant Lineker and Shearer TOGETHER during '96, because I read it like that at first before reading again :lol:

EDIT: Already explained, too slow me :lol:

How on earth these jokers are getting a chance and Osman hasn't is beyond me. It's like manager after manager, regardless of their intelligence, pick random players based on them being in the media or having a "story". Lallana - newly promoted. Sterling - suddenly played a couple of games. Whereas players like Osman who've shown good technical ability in the Premier League for a good few years now are completely ignored.

How on earth these jokers are getting a chance and Osman hasn't is beyond me. It's like manager after manager, regardless of their intelligence, pick random players based on them being in the media or having a "story". Lallana - newly promoted. Sterling - suddenly played a couple of games. Whereas players like Osman who've shown good technical ability in the Premier League for a good few years now are completely ignored.

One of my favourite non-NUFC players to watch, not capped at any level  :no:

According to his wiki he can play for Turkey/Cyprus (Osman), odd that he's never been picked for them either. Probably bullshit like.

He'd probably stand more of a chance if he didn't have the look of a heavy set in AIDS sufferer mind.

Osman really stands out as a midfielder willing to gamble with attacking runs off the ball. Good instincts and good work rate too as far as I can see, and pretty tidy on the ball to boot (a secondary consideration in the England set-up ;)). Decent shout.

Osman is good, but he's an aging, fairly unremarkable player who won't push England forward or be part of any tournament past 2014. It  would be fantastic for his career if he received the call-up, as he deserves it, but in my view it would really be somewhat pointless. He'll never be an important player for your national team. In many ways he suffered from late development. He didnt really make a name for himself until he was 24-26, and by this time no one cares about you.

I got no problem with Sterling. Think he looks to be an exiting player. Downing, Henderson etc can I agree with, they doesn´t belong in international football.

There are plenty of young, exciting players around. Many of them have more than ONE Premier Leauge start.

I think Nathan Dyer's form in the last year or two should have earnt him the call way ahead of Sterling.

I can understand why people think Dyer should be ahead of Sterling considering he had a decent season last year and has started brightly this year. However for me he is just a younger SWP, nothing else. Sterling however is only 17 and has a lot of time to improve his game. I honestly hope he carries on being in the first team for Liverpool ahead of Downing. He looks an exciting prospect and i for one happy to have him in the squad ahead of the others.