The England Thread

Pilko

That's not what I was saying, but for argument's sake I thought we'd get much more value out of playing someone like Cleverley there, for example.

I see very little reason to play a shit footballer like Barry who will thankfully have little to do with England's future, unless there is literally no-one else to play.

That's not what I was saying, but for argument's sake I thought we'd get much more value out of playing someone like Cleverley there, for example.

I see very little reason to play a shit footballer like Barry who will thankfully have little to do with England's future, unless there is literally no-one else to play.

Perhaps he felt Cleverley doesn't quite have the experience yet to be thrown in at that level?

That was also the problem last game, there's literally no-one else to play.

Wilshire will start when he's back, I have no doubt about that, and perhaps if Hargreaves shows some fitness this season, it's not too late for him.

Can't think of a single English player who could replace Barry like for like in Capello's system.  Anybody?

If the only players capable of playing that position in this system are Barry and Parker the system is flawed. You can get away with playing those pair of jokers against a shite team like Bulgaria but it's hardly a solution in the medium or long term is it? Imagine going into a major championship starting those two in the middle - Jesus wept.

Thankfully if Wilshere is fit he plays.

Two holding players isn't the way forward for England as you need to be intelligent to play the position, you also need better than Downing and Walcott on the wings to supplement the striker.

:nods:

Downing didn't play too badly and if he continues playing well for Liverpool, could well see him making the left wing his own (still don't really rate him that highly though).

Really think a Wilshere Cleverly partnership in the middle could have a lot of potential, I'd rather we tried and failed with new lads like Cleverly now instead of persisting with the old heads who've failed us many times before.

Guest johnson293

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3794236/Fabo-Capello-fears-for-England-striker-Andy-Carrolls-fitness.html

FABIO CAPELLO fears Andy Carroll is out of condition and has told the Liverpool star: Get fit!

Carroll has had a sluggish start to the season, with Capello worried the party-loving £35m hitman is not looking after himself.

The England coach said: "Andy didn't start the last game with Liverpool and probably he is not at the top of his form.

"Also he is big. He needs to play games, games, games.

"When these players, like Lampard, like Andy, are fit and at the top of their form, they will be important."

The ex-Newcastle star is with the England squad ahead of tomorrow's home clash with Wales.

Yet he failed even to make the bench for Friday's 3-0 Euro 2012 win in Bulgaria.

Carroll has only been a sub for Liverpool's last two games.

And, privately, Capello is concerned the player has not listened to warnings made in a private chat back in March.

The Italian sees Carroll as a key man in England's future but wants more commitment in terms of his conditioning.

After struggling with injury towards the end of last season, Carroll went on holiday to Barbados and Ibiza and was pictured drinking beer at Glastonbury.

His only goal this season was against Exeter in the Carling Cup.

In March, Capello said: "He needs to improve, to drink less. Look, he's young. His behaviour now is really, really important. He needs to be careful at every moment."

Can't think of a single English player who could replace Barry like for like in Capello's system.  Anybody?

Cleverley. I already said.

I was thinking in the short term.  No way would I want to risk Cleverley over Barry in an important qualifier.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3794236/Fabo-Capello-fears-for-England-striker-Andy-Carrolls-fitness.html

FABIO CAPELLO fears Andy Carroll is out of condition and has told the Liverpool star: Get fit!

Carroll has had a sluggish start to the season, with Capello worried the party-loving £35m hitman is not looking after himself.

The England coach said: "Andy didn't start the last game with Liverpool and probably he is not at the top of his form.

"When these players, like Lampard, like Andy, are fit and at the top of their form, they will be important."

The ex-Newcastle star is with the England squad ahead of tomorrow's home clash with Wales.

Yet he failed even to make the bench for Friday's 3-0 Euro 2012 win in Bulgaria.

And, privately, Capello is concerned the player has not listened to warnings made in a private chat back in March.

The Italian sees Carroll as a key man in England's future but wants more commitment in terms of his conditioning.

After struggling with injury towards the end of last season, Carroll went on holiday to Barbados and Ibiza and was pictured drinking beer at Glastonbury.

In March, Capello said: "He needs to improve, to drink less. Look, he's young. His behaviour now is really, really important. He needs to be careful at every moment."

:iamatwat:

Maybe the pressure of being a £35 million player is getting to Carroll?