The England Thread

Pilko

FURIOUS Fabio Capello says he quit as England boss after the FA "insulted" him.

Capello launched a stunning broadside at his former employers after walking out on the £6million-a-year Three Lions job.

The Italian was fuming when FA chiefs went over his head to strip John Terry of the England captaincy last week.

And Capello tonight raged: "They really insulted me and damaged my authority.

"What really hit me and forced me to take this decision was the fact the much-vaunted Anglo-Saxon sense of justice, as they are the first to claim that everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

"In Terry's case, they gravely offended me and damaged my authority at the head of the England side, effectively creating a problem for the squad.

"I have never tolerated certain crossing of lines, so it was easy for me to spot it and take my decision to leave."

"much-vaunted Anglo-Saxon sense of justice"? :lol: I never knew he could be so eloquent, as it always seemed he could barely talk.

Best decision all round, he's a good club manager but just couldnt seem to cut it as an international manager, and by resigning sounds better on the CV then being sacked, any idea when a replacement will be announced? I wound imagine It will be before the friendly in a couple of weeks.

Yeah "anglo-saxon" doesn't seem to be something he would say.

Dunno about Italians, but the French talk about "les anglo-saxons" quite a lot.

They have an unhealhty paranoia about it.

Why do you think Keegan struggled so much?

Because he was tactically naive compared to the competition he had to face. Also rather than see this, do something about it and fight, he did his usual Houdini act.

Because he was tactically naive compared to the competition he had to face. Also rather than see this, do something about it and fight, he did his usual Houdini act.

Oh no you didn't!  :lol:

You'd rather he stuck around in a job he knew he wasn't good enough to do, quit or get fired when it was too late/after missing qualification for the 2002 World Cup and get himself a nice little payout aka Steve McClaren?

I'm English and I suppose I support England, but I think that just about every player that plays for England is a c*nt - I genuinely can't even stand the sight of most of them.  And that pretty much applies to the people on high who seem to control everything to do with team England.

It is a cliche but my allegiance to the management team and playing squad (multi-national) at Newcastle is off the scale compared to anything I feel for England. I just hope that nothing from the fallout of Capello's resignation impacts negatively on NUFC in any way. And apologies if this post is off topic. 

I cheer on England as much as anyone at the major tournaments, but I can't say I feel a really strong connection to the national team. A number of players in the team represent numerous things that are so very wrong with modern football.

You'd rather he stuck around in a job he knew he wasn't good enough to do, quit or get fired when it was too late/after missing qualification for the 2002 World Cup and get himself a nice little payout aka Steve McClaren?

Well quitting was the obvious answer for Keegan. I'm sure you found it admirable he quit. He did the right thing for himself for sure, but England? Who knows, could have brought in a tactician to help him out, his motivational skills are certainly missed and haven't been replaced yet, and as mon shows motivation can take you a long way.

Keegan showed that himself at club level. That alone doesn't get you anywhere at International level, despite not having any motivational skills (apparently) Sven and Capello did a better job.

Keegan showed that himself at club level. That alone doesn't get you anywhere at International level, despite not having any motivational skills (apparently) Sven and Capello did a better job.

Wouldn't say anywhere, but agree, you'll hit the wall a lot earlier. But he was hired for his personality, the Backroom staff should have been better selected, especially his number 2, or like said, a tactician brought in and have another pop of it.

Can't remember if it was kk, but think it was, held on to a lot of finished old, safe players, next manager cleared out and brought the likes of rio in. Could be massively wrong.