The England Thread

Pilko

Guest firetotheworks

It's so difficult to want a group made up almost entirely of cunts and hyped up by even bigger cunts to succeed because the only thing you have in common is nationality.

Guest Chubby Jason

I hope we don't line up 4-4-2, we will be totally overrun. My midfield would probably be Lampard, Scholes & Parker. Although I'll be interested to see how Gerrard plays in the friendlies with better players around him because he's a bona fide match winner when he's on song.

My team at the moment would be:

Hart

Richards      Terry          Lescott      Cole

The Ox      Barry        Lampard      Young

Welbeck    Carroll

Terry? Seriously? :lol:

As long as we don't play a high line Terry will be the best option. The alternatives are too shit. Don't rate Cahill that highly, Ferdinand won't be fit.

Reading this thread, it's painfully obvious just how little talent we have at our disposal.

Tis true.  I read a comment from some guy on another forum about the French squad being 'weak'.  Couldn't help but laugh at him.  Nasri, Ben Arfa, Ribery, Benzema vs Rooney, erm..?  So yeah, our youth development has come to a complete stand still.

I hope we don't line up 4-4-2, we will be totally overrun. My midfield would probably be Lampard, Scholes & Parker. Although I'll be interested to see how Gerrard plays in the friendlies with better players around him because he's a bona fide match winner when he's on song.

That's the midfield trio I was thinking we should go with tbh, atleast until Rooney gets back, there's just the chance it could be completely outmaneuvered. Scholes, as good as he is on the ball, is 37 and he wont be playing in a side who are expected to dominate like he does at Man U. Would be really tempted to stick Cleverly in there like.

Guest taps01

Reading this thread, it's painfully obvious just how little talent we have at our disposal.

Terrible isn't it. Defensively we are ok but midfield and upfront we are serverly lacking in quality.

http://www.football365.com/mailbox/7744307/The-Guide-To-Criticising-Roy-s-Squad-Selection

Guide To Criticising Hodgson's Squad Selection

Captain: if someone who has been captain before, "predictable". If not, "wrong".

Average age of squad over 26: too old, over-reliance on the failed so-called "golden generation".

Average age of squad under 26: inexperienced/ruining our chances for the Olympics (I forget whether we care about this or not).

Goalkeepers:

Joe Hart: obvious choice and deserves no credit.

Rob Green: plays for a championship club. Only selected due to failure to persuade anyone else out of retirement, ergo poor man-management.

Ben Foster: nepotism.

Right back:

Failure to take all of Micah Richards, Glen Johnson, Kyle Walker, Phil Jones and Chris Smalling constitutes a decision, and therefore automatically a risky/wrong one.

Left back:

Ashley Cole: obvious, deserves no credit.

If a back-up is selected: unnecessary, waste of a squad place (cf. Stephen Warnock). If not: short-sighted.

Centre back:

Failure to persuade Rio and Terry to play together is poor man-management. Success is "too risky".

Central Midfield:

Gerrard: make reference to Hodgson's time at Liverpool and cast doubt on ability to get a performance out of him.

Lampard: too similar to Gerrard. If not picked, make unflattering AVB comparisons.

Scott Parker: would certainly perform better if 'Arry was manager

Carrick/Barry: boring.

Scholes: if picked, desperate. If not picked, a missed opportunity

Anyone else: an unknown quantity.

Wings:

Joe Cole: if not picked, point out that he has been playing brilliantly in France. If picked, point out that he has been rubbish in France. No-one will bother to check either way.

Ashley Young: if picked, diver that will not fool continental referees, therefore a waste of space. If not picked, point to past goalscoring form and ability to win penalties.

Adam Johnson: if picked, has hardly played for Man City this season. If not picked, has hardly played for Man City this season and would have bought much-needed freshness to the squad.

Walcott: if picked, has only ever performed that one time against Croatia. If not picked, performed that one time against Croatia.

Stewart Downing: if picked, 0 goals 0 assists. If not picked, bemoan lack of natural left-footers in the squad.

Anyone who plays for Swansea: if picked, they play for Swansea, a small club. If not, harshly overlooked.

Strikers:

Rooney: if picked, waste of a squad place. We'll be out after 2 games anyway. If not picked, have "ROO-DICULOUS!!!" headlines on standby.

Andy Carroll: if picked, has been rubbish all season. If not, has been brilliant for the last two games.

Defoe: if picked, has not played all season. If not, gifted finisher, adds freshness to the squad, 'Arry would have picked him.

Crouch: if picked, exposes England's dearth of strikers. If not, think of the wonder-goal.

Sturridge/Welbeck: if picked, inexperienced. If not, robbing the future of English football of valuable tournament experience.

For tabloid journalists, this is a handy cut-out-and keep style guide. For anyone else, combine this with a copy of next Wednesday's Sun to form a potentially lethal drinking game.

Guest Chubby Jason

That's the midfield trio I was thinking we should go with tbh, atleast until Rooney gets back, there's just the chance it could be completely outmaneuvered. Scholes, as good as he is on the ball, is 37 and he wont be playing in a side who are expected to dominate like he does at Man U. Would be really tempted to stick Cleverly in there like.

It doesn't really shout "youthful exuberance" does it? :lol: still probably the best options we have. Cleverly would be nice but he's been out all season so I can't really see him going. I was so excited to see Wiltshere play out there and I knew as soon as he got injured he'd be out all fucking season, it's just Arsenal all over.

James Milner would give some energy in there so he could maybe be an option in a midfield 3.

Barry in CM, can't be having that. Parker over Barry any day of the week like. So my team this summer would be:

Hart

Richards  Cahill  Lescott  Cole

Parker

Gerrard      Scholes

Young                              Sturridge

Rooney/Welbeck

Well, that was actually hard! I'll get slated for putting Cahill in there but can't fucking stand Terry (plus he's shite these days). Phil Jones is still young so don't think he's an automatic starter on the international stage just yet. Lescott is just about the best option there imo. I'm putting Scholes in there for his experience and when Gerrard's up for it, he is actually decent (did consider putting Lampard in there but that would have meant a somewhat lack of pace in midfield). Welbeck can be decent with the right service and with Sturridge and Young supporting him, this strikeforce should, in theory, be able to work together.

Guest Chubby Jason

I doubt Sturridge will go. I'd have Young on the left and Walcott on the right if he's fit.

Guest Chubby Jason

You have Scholes (and Gerrard) instead of Lampard because that'd mean a lack of pace?

Right.

Something I think you'd appreciate

http://bigyellowtaxi.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/lampard.jpg

You have Scholes (and Gerrard) instead of Lampard because that'd mean a lack of pace?

Right.

Gerrard can still run. Kinda.

Plus I said, a "somewhat" lack of pace.

Right.

Something I think you'd appreciate

http://bigyellowtaxi.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/lampard.jpg

Lampard's such a god.

To think people believe we can get win the group we our in.

:yao:

I think we will really struggle.... France quite frankly are just simply better, Sweden we seem to never beat :lol: and Ukraine will be no pushovers in thier own country.....

When i say i would'nt be suprised if we get knocked out in the group stage i mean it :lol: