The England Thread

Pilko

Like who?

Scholes, Berbatov, Giggs (ok, probably because of his age, but he could have played on for Wales), Park.... now Carrick. Probably even Van der Saar.

Of course, just a thought. Could be well wrong here.

Don't think Downing's as bad as all that but Johnson must be blowing after being overlooked. Maybe this will give him a kick up the arse to join a club and get first team football. Hopefully us.

I'm not sure if I can disagree too much with what is available to pick. Richards is a strange one. And I think Carrick has been canny the tail end of the season. Downing is the biggest shocker to me, I think Adam Johnson and Lennon would have been better options that him, maybe Hodgson is concerned by the lack of games from Johnson and Lennon?

I think he may have dropped a bollock with Carrick. A midfield 3 of Parker, Carrick and Gerrard looks ok, lacks pace, but there are no pacey options these days. I suppose when we've played a midfield 3 this season (Newcastle that is) we've lacked a bit of pace but the movement and technical ability of the players has seen us through. I assume Barry will join Parker and Gerrard in CM, on their day they are good players, just wonder if Gerrard can get anywhere near his top level, that's the only hope England have until Rooney is available again. A lot of reliance will be on Young and Walcott on the wings neither have done it on a International stage as of yet??

He's picked Milner. There are a few similar contradictions within the selection.

True enough but maybe Milner is seen as a more steady, consistent player? To be honest I'd have Milner in that squad in front of Johnson, Lennon and Downing.

To me the positives you've listed for Milner there would be negatives for me. Add one paced in to that and he's got the same attributes at the 4 centre midfielders picked.

Why not pick someone who can do something different, maybe beat a man, use some tricks, can change a game like Sturridge or moreso AJohnson.

I remember the day when that used to be Milner.

Don't think Downing's as bad as all that but Johnson must be blowing after being overlooked. Maybe this will give him a kick up the arse to join a club and get first team football. Hopefully us.

A factor in Downing’s favour is that I think he’s better and more reliable at tracking back than Johnson or the other rivals for his position. In fact, I seem to remember him filling in at full back during parts of games, or perhaps playing as a wing back, though I may be wrong about that. It’s difficult to imagine Johnson in that role.

Downing’s quite a versatile player, and that’s very useful at tournament level.

You guys wont be entertaining at all with that team. Can see you reaching the semis though. Its bound to happen with these players at some point, and you have an organized squad. 1-0, 1-0, 1-0, 1-0 all the way to the semis.

Aye, Johnson desperately needs to leave Man City, even more so after another five star players arrive in the summer.

Couldn't believe it when he signed a new deal for them last fall. He'll be expensive for whoever takes him. I reckon a loan.

You guys wont be entertaining at all with that team. Can see you reaching the semis though. Its bound to happen with these players at some point, and you have an organized squad. 1-0, 1-0, 1-0, 1-0 all the way to the semis.

We'll more than likely play Spain in the quaters if we get there :lol:

:lol:

He's a good manager, pointless knocking his managerial achievements because you don't like the bloke and/or he's over-rated.

His managerial 'achievements' are mediocre at best.

As I said, utterly pointless.

What did Kevin Keegan win? What has Pardew won? Roy Hodgson even?

Redknapp isn't the greatest manager on this planet, far from it, but he would have been a far better appointment than Hodgson.

How is it pointless?

Redknapp hasn't achieved anything close to what Keegan did at NUFC. He's a fraud who's reputation is built on thin air.

There is nothing to suggest he was the standout candidate for the job, nothing at all.

As I said, utterly pointless.

What did Kevin Keegan win? What has Pardew won? Roy Hodgson even?

Redknapp isn't the greatest manager on this planet, far from it, but he would have been a far better appointment than Hodgson.

Hodgson the man with 8 league titles to his name? Never won anything Roy like

The point is that Redknapp is a tactical pygmy who has achieved next to nothing in his long career in the game and has as many relegations on his CV as he does trophies. The only reason he was the standout manager for the job was because his mates decided he was.