The England Thread

Pilko

Baines is much better against weak opposition definitely. But i'm unsure about him when he has to spend most of the game defending. Tbh he's probably earned the right to get tested at that level. But with Cashley you know he'll never be taken for a mug defensively.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgHwY6pP9f4xYr82OOYorpQDbsj_YbxcSlQnJ-UWTwpt0UFTmKLg

I think the future looks rosy for England,  I really do. With a decent managerial appointment after Owl Face, I honestly believe we can start challenging for tournaments.

There are many issues with the England set up, but there's nothing that should stop this current crop from going far. The passion and intensity of tonight is hugely pleasing to see because the mentality, as a collective, hasn't been right for several years.

I think the future looks rosy for England,  I really do. With a decent managerial appointment after Owl Face, I honestly believe we can start challenging for tournaments.

Yeah, I agree. Hodgson is opting for experience tonight, but there's some good young players coming through - The Ox, Barkley, Wilshere, Sturridge, Welbeck, Townsend.

Welbeck is a decent player having a shocking match. Quite straightforward.

Decent player, who shouldn't start for a national side that wants to win a World Cup. But reading Super Yorkie's post, I think you guys will be happy enough with a quarterfinal exit again...

Baines is much better against weak opposition definitely. But i'm unsure about him when he has to spend most of the game defending. Tbh he's probably earned the right to get tested at that level. But with Cashley you know he'll never be taken for a mug defensively.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgHwY6pP9f4xYr82OOYorpQDbsj_YbxcSlQnJ-UWTwpt0UFTmKLg

True. But it was such a big deal because it's so rare.

More Welbeck bashing. Sigh.

Bashing :lol:

This England side is decent if you disregard the fact that players like Smalling and Welbeck actually get to start.

I actually think Welbeck is very underrated on this forum.

Also Smalling is playing out of position so his performance today should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I like Welbeck, I find him a good player, but I'm still of the thought if England or any side is every going to win a World Cup they can't have a player like him starting up left.

And Smalling for me is as average as you get.

And I'm not saying Welbeck (or most of them, on paper) are good enough players to win a World Cup.

But he's a good player and vital to this England side.

I'd say he's vital to the squad, because when England play teams that are much better than them like Spain/Germany etc, they'll need Welbeck to do the dog's body work that he is so effective at - but he should not be a regular starter IMO.

The problem i have with Baines is he isn't a good defender..... and against the best that would get exploited, its a shame really because his offensive ability is up there with any fullback.

I really like how we are set up going forward, 3 of the front 4 should be kept as is but find someone to bench Welbeck please :lol:

My concern comes back to the defence because better teams will exploit how average it is.

Townsend really trying to put Walcott out the team.

Welbeck will drop to the bench eventually.

In favour of Walcott? Not a chance, and rightly so. He brings something completely different to the team than Walcott. So much more, too. A consistent goal threat for one (tonight aside).

More Welbeck bashing. Sigh.

Bashing :lol:

This England side is decent if you disregard the fact that players like Smalling and Welbeck actually get to start.

I actually think Welbeck is very underrated on this forum.

Also Smalling is playing out of position so his performance today should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I like Welbeck, I find him a good player, but I'm still of the thought if England or any side is every going to win a World Cup they can't have a player like him starting up left.

And Smalling for me is as average as you get.

And I'm not saying Welbeck (or most of them, on paper) are good enough players to win a World Cup.

But he's a good player and vital to this England side.

I'd say he's vital to the squad, because when England play teams that are much better than them like Spain/Germany etc, they'll need Welbeck to do the dog's body work that he is so effective at - but he should not be a regular starter IMO.

100%.

Not sure about that. He's versatile in the sense you wouldn't be scared to play him against Robben or someone.

It's things like this that makes my eyes bleed on this forum. Putting an attacker on to defend the other teams attacker. :anguish:

Deserve to be ahead, but on the break they're finding it easy to get to our back four. If we qualify, that's something that needs to be addressed. The midfield don't offer much protection.

Gerrard is embarrassing when they have the ball, he's literally 3 yards behind play. I'd consider having Jones sitting, not ideal but at least he could compete and has some semblance of defensive positioning. A better team would walk all over our midfield.

In favour of Walcott? Not a chance, and rightly so. He brings something completely different to the team than Walcott. So much more, too. A consistent goal threat for one (tonight aside).

Walcott's twice the player, man. When you've got Rooney and Sturridge in the side you need your wide players to be good at playing wide, not scoring 1 goal in 4.

Welbeck is a decent player having a shocking match. Quite straightforward.

Decent player, who shouldn't start for a national side that wants to win a World Cup. But reading Super Yorkie's post, I think you guys will be happy enough with a quarterfinal exit again...

You won a World Cup with Juninho and Kleberson as key squad members.  :p

Walcott's twice the player, man. When you've got Rooney and Sturridge in the side you need your wide players to be good at playing wide, not scoring 1 goal in 4.

As opposed to 5 in 36? :lol:

Welbeck's record is almost 1 in 2 for England, anyway. Welbeck, Rooney, Sturridge and Townsend is a diverse forward line that has the potential to work very well together, because each offers something different, each with a regular goal threat. There's no place for Walcott as long as Townsend keeps this up, imo.

Everything is going ok so far. BUT it's only half-time and it's only a 1 goal lead. Still another half to play and there could be more goals in this.

By the way, has anyone come up with any Polish jokes? I'm thinking maybe a reference to the fact there is a large Polish population within England. Food for thought as we begin the 2nd half.

See you on the other side.

Not sure about that. He's versatile in the sense you wouldn't be scared to play him against Robben or someone.

It's things like this that makes my eyes bleed on this forum. Putting an attacker on to defend the other teams attacker. :anguish:

SAF did it. And tbf he has the energy to get back up and attack. In an England shirt you never keep Welbeck quiet. He'll cause problems even if he misses loads. Walcott is liable for the MIA performances.