Given Having His Say On SSN

Crumpy Gunt

What do you make of the idiot football fans who have tried to completely overlook your legacy at the club just because you were (rightly) desperate to get away from the moronic management that was clearly sending the club down the shitter?

So Shay, what exactly did you achieve in that extra six months that the likes of Duff and Bassong missed out on by leaving in the summer?

What do you make of the idiot football fans who have tried to completely overlook your legacy at the club just because you were (rightly) desperate to get away from the moronic management that was clearly sending the club down the shitter?

So Shay, what exactly did you achieve in that extra six months that the likes of Duff and Bassong missed out on by leaving in the summer?

"I managed to fluff up a move to Arsenal and be their No1 keeper for the rest of my career playing for a proper big club with the NUFC fans blessing"

I don't resent Given, at the end of the day if the board are been complete tossers then he's got to think about his career.

He stayed in some shitty times despite been one of the best keepers in the league.

I'm not going to bow down at his feet but enough is enough if other people aren't pulling their weight.

I think you have to ask yourself if he performed for us on a consistent basis, and he was one of our best players year upon year so how can we complain.

Given (in fans eyes) is probably a bigger cunt than Boumsong and all the rest of the awful players we've had, but who contributed the most?

He left midseason when every other player who 'was desperate to leave' in the terribly awful conditions at the club ( :rolleyes: ) managed to hold off until the Summer.

That's why I forget what he did for us. You can be the greatest of players, a stab in the back is still a stab in the back.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

I met him and talked to him for a little while when City visited Baltimore last summer, and while I didn't ask him directly, it was clear to me that he did have a bit of regret about what happened and that he'd probably still be with us if he had the chance.  We all know what a nightmare that season was, and I think at that point, he thought City was his best chance to play prestigious games again and the frenzy of the January window got to him.  I don't begrudge him for his ambition, and still think he's a top keeper.  Ultimately, though I wish he was still here, and I bet he does too.

Good keeper, but always felt he was a bit overrated and wasn't really worth getting upset over. His peak form for us was a good few years before he left, so in a way it was good to have some change. The downside with him leaving was that Harper is average in comparison and was pretty rusty when Given did leave, so it left us in the shitter for a bit, but in the long run it might work out well for all parties (I'm sure Shay won't regret being paid huge wages to warm a seat every week) as it gives us the opportunity to look at other options. Hopefully Krul or Forster can step up and better him in the coming years.

Guest KeithKettleborough

Just my opinions but was never happy at his "dummy spitting" transfer request in the earlier days. From his point of view think it was a good thing to do as seemed to make any manager scared to keep him on the bench. Good keeper but a couple of occasions when Harper was in and playing really well, in he came in spite of team winning and keeper and defence doing well. Summed up with the final game of one season at West Brom. An academic game as both teams had final positions assured etc but Given still had to play...just to keep him happy?

Funny how no transfer request has come at City but would assume the salary is sufficient to keep him contented, which quite likely the main reason why he left us when he did. Was expecting the long held rumours of Arsenals interest to have taken him there by now but again feel its wages thats probably stopping a possible move.

Good keeper, best have seen at Toon but great keeper no....great shot stopper yes!

Guest toonlass

He enjoyed every second at Newcastle? So why was he so eager to jump ship then? Hope the tosser rots on the bench for the rest of his career.

"I managed to fluff up a move to Arsenal and be their No1 keeper for the rest of my career playing for a proper big club with the NUFC fans blessing"

Just as Duff and Bassong are now respected by Newcastle supporters for staying until the team were relegated.

Good keeper, but always felt he was a bit overrated and wasn't really worth getting upset over. His peak form for us was a good few years before he left, so in a way it was good to have some change. The downside with him leaving was that Harper is average in comparison and was pretty rusty when Given did leave, so it left us in the shitter for a bit, but in the long run it might work out well for all parties (I'm sure Shay won't regret being paid huge wages to warm a seat every week) as it gives us the opportunity to look at other options. Hopefully Krul or Forster can step up and better him in the coming years.

I agree that he was overrated, but disagree that Harper is average in comparison. From the 06-07 season they both played in about half the games and every time we conceded less goals with Harper in goal than Given. In the relegation season, Given let in 37 goals in 22 games, whereas Harper conceded 22 in 16.

He never had much loyalty, and was never a team player.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/newcastle-refuse-given-transfer-request-357989.html

He stayed because he liked living up here. He was also a negative influence in the dressing room.

Good Keeper, but we're well rid from a team and club perspective.

IMO.

But, but, he handed in a transfer request. Surely he was sold immediately, they'd have no option!

"they've got a point in despising me as i tried to bleed the club of every penny possible  and get a move instead of just putting in a transfer request when i wanted to move. yes, i am just a greedy,underhanded twat."

"they've got a point in despising me as i tried to bleed the club of every penny possible  and get a move instead of just putting in a transfer request when i wanted to move. yes, i am just a greedy,underhanded twat."

Because we know that if you put in a transfer request the supporters would have understood and been happy with you leaving for more money and better prospects elsewhere.

'can I see your collection of medals that you have gained since you left the club?'

Bet he's gutted he doesn't have a Championship winners medal to go alongside his intertoto one.

"they've got a point in despising me as i tried to bleed the club of every penny possible  and get a move instead of just putting in a transfer request when i wanted to move. yes, i am just a greedy,underhanded t***."

Because we know that if you put in a transfer request the supporters would have understood and been happy with you leaving for more money and better prospects elsewhere.

'can I see your collection of medals that you have gained since you left the club?'

Bet he's gutted he doesn't have a Championship winners medal to go alongside his intertoto one.

well going from myself,midds and many of my friends a lot of people felt this way. others may feel differently.

I still wish all the best for the guy.

The same with Bellamy, Parker & Carroll for that matter. Would love for those guys still to be at the club.

Owen, Jenas & Dyer can rot in hell btw.

He left midseason when every other player who 'was desperate to leave' in the terribly awful conditions at the club ( :rolleyes: ) managed to hold off until the Summer.

That's why I forget what he did for us. You can be the greatest of players, a stab in the back is still a stab in the back.

Yeah, like Owen, Martins, Duff, Beye etc wouldn't have left - and like none of them will have been actively looking for a move - that same January. The suggestion that any of them is more loyal than Given just because they stayed and went through the motions is beyond absurd.

Won't blame him. He was an important player for us. At times I actually believed he was irreplaceable, however Krul and Harper har shown that they can do a decent job. Still thinks Given is better than Krul and Harper, mind. But we've moved on.