Why do non-Geordies support Newcastle United?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Being an American I had to pick. I wanted to avoid the Big 4, but wasn't going to ignore a club if I had feelings for them. I did research, watched old games, stuff like that. Honestly, it was always going to be Newcastle. From the minutes I started the search they were in my head, everything else just confirmed it.

Guest firetotheworks

It was never a choice for me, not that I'm a non-geordie. I tried to support Spurs, purely because I liked their strip, then my dad found out, and he handed down the pain.

What about your other teams? ;)

Ever since the sixties when we first started getting English football on the telly, Norwegians have had two teams, a Norwegian one and an English one. It's as natural to us as getting up in the morning. I can see how it seems unnatural to Brits, but at least we started decades before the there was a thing called the PL.

Can't say anything for the ones claiming to support more teams than that though, at least on the same continent, even to me that seems ludicrous. What happens if the they meet?

Guest firetotheworks

Who's your Norwegian team Kaizero? Who would you support if Newcastle played them?

My mum's family are from Durham and are mostly Mackems or Poolies. My Dad is from London but supports Villa, my brother is also a Villa fan so I didn't really get the whole "you have to support your local team thing". I liked Everton in the mid 80's as my Dad took us to see Villa vs Everton and, being an antagonistic little cunt, rooted for the opposition. I really picked up on Newcastle with some visits to the city with my north east family. Even then Black and White shirts and flags were everywhere. Then we signed Mirandinha and I was awestruck by the very young Paul Gascoigne. That was me hooked and when the Keegan era kicked off it went from mild support to fanatical following.

Being from a family who didnt particuly like football (my dad supports port vale but never goes or talks about them) my first experience of watching the game was euro 2000, and alan shearer happend to be englands captain at the time so i guess it stemmed from there really, now im completly hooked and care about the club more than most things and regret nothing when my friends question who i support.

Guest palnese

Ever since the sixties when we first started getting English football on the telly, Norwegians have had two teams, a Norwegian one and an English one. It's as natural to us as getting up in the morning. I can see how it seems unnatural to Brits, but at least we started decades before the there was a thing called the PL.

Can't say anything for the ones claiming to support more teams than that though, at least on the same continent, even to me that seems ludicrous. What happens if the they meet?

Most of my mates follow an English team, and their local team as well. In my case that's Viking from Stavanger, but I for some reason I've never taken any interest in them. A mate of mine is a season ticket holder at Viking Stadion and a die-hard Evertonian. I don't see how it is possible to spend so much energy on two teams, a bit like mattis with his Inter and Newcastle.

Most of my mates follow an English team, and their local team as well. In my case that's Viking from Stavanger, but I for some reason I've never taken any interest in them. A mate of mine is a season ticket holder at Viking Stadion and a die-hard Evertonian. I don't see how it is possible to spend so much energy on two teams, a bit like mattis with his Inter and Newcastle.

I don't really spend much energy on Rosenborg, it's more going to matches and making the Norwegian league more interesting, which is decent, since it's active in the summer when there's no other footy on unless there's a WC or EC.

Guest palnese

I don't really spend much energy on Rosenborg, it's more going to matches and making the Norwegian league more interesting, which is decent, since it's active in the summer when there's no other footy on unless there's a WC or EC.

Fair enough. I'd probably be more interested if Viking were title-contenders, but they haven't been that for years. If they improve over the next couple of years, I'll follow them closer, but for now it's meh. Gloryhunter me :razz:

After having loved the beer for so long that I convinced my parents that with our extra day on our Rail Pass that we had to go to Newcastle to see the brewery.  Fell in love with the city and football around the same time - it just all came together.

Didn't know a lot about football at the time. Started supporting us when we Souness was running the show (  :dowie: )Liked the fact that we had a lot of English players and generally just a warm feeling towards the club when watching us on MOTD. Armchair fan at that point. Went to first away game against West Ham where we won 2-0 and never looked back! Been to about 15 away games and 1 home game. Complete abscence of any local league team (nearest is Gillingham- hour and a half away) and parents not even remotely interested in football, so no influence from them.

My story, posted in another thread earlier.

Started to follow Newcastle in the 92-93 season. I was 9 years back then.

Was kind of random, all my buddies i played football with, supported Manu or Liverpool, including me, man u, didn't know better back then... :doh:   (Well, there was one poor dude, he supported Coventry, he`s father supported them)

A neighbor of me, who was some years older went to the UK for 3 mounts, with he`s older brother.

They stayed in Middlesbrough at some friends of their family.

The family they stayed with,  where Newcastle fans.

So he was on some matches, and sent me postcards saying how fun it was and all.

So i started following the results and got more and more interested.

It went bananas when they got promoted, and from that day on, i have been cursed with the love for this club.

Actually, i am extremely happy i started to follow this club.

Ok, we do not win ANYTHING, but for me, from Norway, im so fkn sick of all the man u, Liverpool and recently Chelsea fans.

90% are just plastic fans, going around throwing shit at the likes of me because NUFC is crap atm.

But deep inside, i know they use it just to big them self up, there is no love, no passion.

Another thing, after being in Newcastle some times now, starting to know the city, its a fucking great place imo.

Before christmas i went over with some friends, and my brother, who also are Newcastle supporter

(i baptized him and my father when i forced them to join me on a boxing day trip in 1999/2000 season, Liverpool home, and Leicester away. After that, they was both sold...)

Amongst the 7 who traveled over, 3 was nufc fans, the rest couldent be arsed about Football.

But all of them came to me after the trip, and told me that i had to arrange a trip again before the summer.

They simply loved the nightlife, and was pleasantly surprised with the amount of good looking girls in the city :smitten:

I am happy i went down this road, the strange thing is, that when we went down last year, my interest just grew stronger.

One day we will win something, and it will be fkn  :celb:  :cheesy:  :banana: :headbang:

Guest jeffers09

Ive been asked this question so much in the past as i live in Birmingham, why dont you support your local team and to be honest i always so dunno really

i think it was a mixture of wanting to pick a different team from Birmingham,Villa,or Man utd or the fact i liked watching Shearer so much think i remember going to jjb and buying my 1st kit the Brown ale one with the big star on the front with Shearer on the back

It was also a funny time to start supporting with it being the Guilt era but it soon changed when sir Bobby came in  O0

Its interesting that a lot of people fell in love with our Entertainers team, because where are this generations 'new' fans going to come from? I guess its a general problem as more fans gravitate towards Man Utd, Chelsea etc. but its such a shame that we can't use our playing style to hook people in anymore.

Guest palnese

Its interesting that a lot of people fell in love with our Entertainers team, because where are this generations 'new' fans going to come from? I guess its a general problem as more fans gravitate towards Man Utd, Chelsea etc. but its such a shame that we can't use our playing style to hook people in anymore.

It's our job to spread the word innit?

It's our job to spread the word innit?

It is. Don't let us down  O0