Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

He deserves to start the next match at the very least after last nights performance.

If fit, Harper will be straight back in I reckon. Apparently the bench were not happy with Krul's distribution last night.

Guess his distribution wasn't slow enough, and his kicks weren't off target enough :/

You could see him getting frustrated at his own kicks yesterday.

Will never understand why goal kicks are solely about making ground, up the pitch. Look how often someone like Valdes will simply pass the ball out of Alves or Pique to start a move.

could be because of the rest of the team they have the opposition are wary of pushing right up against them, also if they push it into midfield it's held and the player in possession has two or three safe options due to the movement.

using barcelona to stress your point about what we should do is never a good idea, also it's something we do a good bit against lesser opposition.

I knew someone would pick up on the Barcelona comparison.

Chelmsford City employ this tactic at home. They are the highest scoring side in the Conference South (at home) and arguably the most positive footballing side in the league, despite being 7th.

The foundation of the positive football they play (in my opinion at least) is starting moves from the back and retaining position as they move up the pitch, rather than just hoofing it forward and hoping a striker can knock it down to one of his teammates.

Harper's kicking isn't actually that bad.

I remember this comment from Souness:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2357988/Souness-supports-hapless-Harper.html

Graeme Souness, the Newcastle manager, was philosophical about Harper's mistake. He said: "We weathered the first-half storm and to concede the goal the way we did was disappointing, but I can't be hard on Harps, he plays so few games, and reserve-team football doesn't help you prepare for that. Harps is normally a good kicker of the ball, possibly the best in the club. It was one of those things."

Possibly not the best incident to recall, or the best person to quote, but he was certainly better than Given at kicking. He has got slightly worse as hes got older, but the worst kicking display from a Newcastle goalkeeper I can recall in recent times would have to be Krul's last appearance before last night.

Harper's kicking is bleeding atrocious, man. That's only part of the problem too, he's rubbish at throwing and playing the ball out quickly to lauch attacks. His overall distribution is really lacking.

harpers kicking isn't that bad bit could be better, kruls kicks long but directionless and yesterday through out twice when he shouldn't have. it's a bug bear that we, as a team very rarely look for the quick out from the keeper as much as the keeper won't throw it.

It's a massive grudge of mine, and I'm not sure whether it's down to Harper's distribution or the team as a whole. Probably a combination of the two.

i know what you mean. the only time we look for the quick out is on our right and often it's barton doing the right thing in looking for it but is too deep to make it worthwhile, whereas on the left we have the legs but they never look for it.

Guest ykmkmdd

After last night Krul has actually played more games than Harper this season (including the cups)

Stat-tastic.

Guest GeordieBatistuta

Just me slightly irritated by him not getting any credit for the one Rooney 'put over'?

No same here. Replays clearly show it clipped off his head and he did well to stand up to him.