Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

He's just lacking experience. Even Harper looked very much a poorer goalkeeper after replacing Given in 2008/2009 than he did this season. Playing regular first-team football for a goalkeeper is so important.

Krul has shown what a good shot stopper he is but dominating the box needs to be learnt and will be learnt by playing games.

Can you name me a goalkeeper that isn't a GOOD SHOT STOPPER?

Gomes/Schwarzer.

What? :lol:

Crumpy is right though. Stopping shots is the easiest part of keeping, especially for a young lad with such a stringy frame.

He's just lacking experience. Even Harper looked very much a poorer goalkeeper after replacing Given in 2008/2009 than he did this season. Playing regular first-team football for a goalkeeper is so important.

Krul has shown what a good shot stopper he is but dominating the box needs to be learnt and will be learnt by playing games.

Can you name me a goalkeeper that isn't a GOOD SHOT STOPPER?

Gomes/Schwarzer.

What? :lol:

Crumpy is right though. Stopping shots is the easiest part of keeping, especially for a young lad with such a stringy frame.

:thup: Mentioning Gomez is an interesting one. Especially after one of his more recent errors Redknapp was bigging him up, saying he's a fantastic shot stopper and they should keep faith etc. Shot stopping is nothing if you can't mentally keep up. You can find a lot of average or worse 'keepers who can pull of 'wondersaves'.

Guest WisconsinMagpie

I was watching this in a bar with eyes barely open at 7:30 a.m. Wisconsin time and was just receiving a bloody mary so I'm not sure. But couldn't Krul have prevented the first goal Sunday as well, by shouting Colo off what turned into an unnecessary corner? Whatever - I think Krul's so talented but still raw and error-prone. I wish we had some happy medium in goal between middle age and barely of age.

In terms of shot stopping he's excellent, gets down quick with strong wrists behind the ball. He commands the area well too. His problem is his concentration, he seems to get over-excited and comes for crosses he can't possibly reach ala Chelsea. Having said that it's definetly becoming less frequent with experience. If we're planning on keeping Harper and I'd definetly loan him out.

So, does he command his area well or not?

Not in the air. His confidence seems to have taken a knock and he doesn't come for the high balls as much as he should for a big lad. But then Harper barely comes for any.

Was not that u21?

I am pretty sure this is the first senior call up.

Fuck it,, does it really matter ;D

No it was the pre-selection.

Good chance for Krul in the Dutch team. Behind Stekelenburg there's no one really.

I haven't seen it again but his save from that 1v1 in the first half looked class.

He should be number one next season as things stand for me.  Forster needs to prove himself at a higher level first and Harper is on his way out.

Because he's in the position and doing well IMO.  Not saying Forster won't make it or anything but he's unfortunately/deservedly(?) been sent out on loan and shouldn't knock Krul out of the driving seat as things stand.

Well if he's rated by the staff and does have a good pre-season he probably will take the shirt.

I dunno whether you can make a decision like that on basis of low pressure games against the likes of Darlington and Leeds though, despite what Pardew's said.

Well if he's rated by the staff and does have a good pre-season he probably will take the shirt.

I dunno whether you can make a decision like that on basis of low pressure games against the likes of Darlington and Leeds though, despite what Pardew's said.

More talking about training, really.