Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

Guest Haris Vuckic

In that 'Skills Rock' video on A POPULAR VIDEO SITE he said ''Ah Given made a few canny saves''

This made me laugh. Krul is a geordie.

Krul probably wants to play for Ajax one day, and I don't think they can afford him so I am going to pretend to be not worried about the Totenham's of the world

Kwul wanting to play for Ajax some day would surprise me very much. He's from The Hague and has played in the Ado youth setup, so he probably despises Ajax more than anything, as do most people in football outside of Amsterdam.

Krul probably wants to play for Ajax one day, and I don't think they can afford him so I am going to pretend to be not worried about the Totenham's of the world

Kwul wanting to play for Ajax some day would surprise me very much. He's from The Hague and has played in the Ado youth setup, so he probably despises Ajax more than anything, as do most people in football outside of Amsterdam.

He's said in an interview he was inspired watching Van Der Saar at Ajax, was thinking of that

Spurs cant afford him.......

There's a reason their two signings last summer was practically a free and a loan and they could'nt afford to buy Cahill.

Their finances are not all that, and suprise suprise the tax evasion twat is the manager.......

The same man who practically destroyed West Ham and Pompey.

In that 'Skills Rock' video on A POPULAR VIDEO SITE he said ''Ah Given made a few canny saves''

This made me laugh. Krul is a geordie.

He's been here since he was 16 :lol: practically grew up in Newcastle :smug:

I can accept a player leaving if an offer comes in and they genuinely want the move but if it is hard to accept when a player would prefer to stay and in Krul's case, I think he would want to stay here for at least 2-3 years before he is ready to move on to win things.

I also think if we already have a player who is a ready-made replacement for the outgoing player then that would be OK but in Krul's case we definitely do not and good keepers are hard to find.  IMO it would be absolutely madness to sell him.

He's said in an interview he was inspired watching Van Der Saar at Ajax, was thinking of that

Well yes, Van der Sar is his idol, but I don't think that translates to him wanting to play for Ajax. Would be a huge step down to go from one of the best goalkeepers in the Premiership to going to a club in turmoil in the Eredivisie. God, I hate Ajax, so maybe it's wishful thinking, but I really can't see him even contemplating this.

find it hard to believe Levy would sanction big money for a goalkeeper

Why? Gomes has been sidelined and Friedel is maybe good for one more year at a push. Krul could be the keeper for ten years, as he will probably be for you. I think Levy will sanction what's needed for what's needed, within our usual parameters.

Why didn't you get someone in last summer? I mean someone a bit longer term than Friedel?

The thing is, last summer we still thought Gomes was number one, and Friedel was just coming in as extra cover. If anything, we expected a younger keeper to come in and challenge Gomes, which would have meant someone less established than Krul. I guess 'arry had made his mind up about Gomes, and Friedel being available for nothing meant that he didn't have to throw a younger keeper straight in. I'm not sure who else would have been available.

Guest kingdawson

There's a reason their two signings last summer was practically a free and a loan and they could'nt afford to buy Cahill.

Their finances are not all that, and suprise suprise the tax evasion t*** is the manager.......

our finances are not all that? That's not exactly true at all tbf.

Guest kingdawson

Krul would be mad moving to tottenham this window, as would any decent player settled where they are as everything will change in the summer with Harry gone to prison/England. Bale and modric will be off, adebayor won't stay and that leaves them not too far ahead of the likes of us if we continue to do what we are doing.

You really think we're going to sell both bale and modric if we get in the champions league? Seems more like wishful thinking.

I think there's some massive over statements of Spurs' financial "plight" on here. |However it iust makes no financial sense to sell Krul. Even if you make a profit you have to replace him and besides the lad seems happy at the club and as we're heading in the right direction with ambition shown with the Cisse signing.

Hope to god I'm not proved wrong but what would be the point in selling Krul for a fairly smallish profit when you consider what you stand to lose without him between the sticks. Sure in a few years say 3-4 if someone right at the top comes in for him but right now the club fits for him and he fits for us

Krul would be mad moving to tottenham this window, as would any decent player settled where they are as everything will change in the summer with Harry gone to prison/England. Bale and modric will be off, adebayor won't stay and that leaves them not too far ahead of the likes of us if we continue to do what we are doing.

You really think we're going to sell both bale and modric if we get in the champions league? Seems more like wishful thinking.

Without Harry's mafia media protection it'll be a lot harder to keep them regardless of where you finish. Soon as he's gone the press will love tearing you apart. If Modric had his way he'd be playing for Chelsea right now and if Barca come in for Bale he'll want to go.

Their finances are not all that, and suprise suprise the tax evasion t*** is the manager.......

I'd dearly love you to take me through the figures that have led you to that conclusion.

My take on it: We are at maximum capacity for wages and players. Thus, we have to sell to buy. Selling/releasing players like Jenas, Adebayor, Pav, Dos Santos and Bentley (and Bassong?) this summer/January would free up wages, squad room and transfer fees for a new forward (or two) and a goalkeeper. Hopefully we will have CL money, which would probably be swallowed up by bonuses and a short-term solution (like Gallas was).

We have built our squad, which now needs only minor tweaks and hopefully the odd kid coming through (Livermore, Caulker, Naughton?) to refresh it. I would expect us to be able to splash out 10-15M this January if the right player is available to go straight into the first team, which essentially means a really good forward (presumably from abroad) or a really good young keeper. We don't have a burning need to upgrade any other positions.

Guest kingdawson

Without Harry's mafia media protection it'll be a lot harder to keep them regardless of where you finish. Soon as he's gone the press will love tearing you apart. If Modric had his way he'd be playing for Chelsea right now and if Barca come in for Bale he'll want to go.

mate of we get into the CL neither will go IMO. Levy didn't sanction the modric move when we wasnt in the CL so there's no way he'd sanction it if we do make it.

Yeah, that media protection really helped us out over Modric this summer.

The thing is, I agree with you over Harry leaving, but for different reasons. His style of management seems to be perfect for the players and team we have - VDV for one seems to revel in a freer, less tactically restricted role - and it's hard to see who could come in and do the same job. Adebayor will almost certainly leave with or without Harry, but it may just be that if we get into the CL we could negotiate a deal with Citeh that means an extended loan, with us paying more of his wages.

For argument's sake, if we get into the CL but Bale and Modric are off, then we're a team with CL football and an enormous amount of money available. That's not such a bad scenario - particularly if Bale is an overrated one-trick pony (which I have heard plenty of times on here). It's a tricky situation, but as you well know, unless you have insanely wealthy backers or a massive stadium (or both) then you're going to have to live on a bit of a knife edge.

The thing is, I agree with you over Harry leaving, but for different reasons. His style of management seems to be perfect for the players and team we have - VDV for one seems to revel in a freer, less tactically restricted role - and it's hard to see who could come in and do the same job. Adebayor will almost certainly leave with or without Harry, but it may just be that if we get into the CL we could negotiate a deal with Citeh that means an extended loan, with us paying more of his wages.

For argument's sake, if we get into the CL but Bale and Modric are off, then we're a team with CL football and an enormous amount of money available. That's not such a bad scenario - particularly if Bale is an overrated one-trick pony (which I have heard plenty of times on here). It's a tricky situation, but as you well know, unless you have insanely wealthy backers or a massive stadium (or both) then you're going to have to live on a bit of a knife edge.

Can't see City agreeing to an extended loan deal for Adebayor with them paying a large portion of his wages if you keep running them as close as you are for the rest of the season.

Well yeah, sometimes it is right to cash in on the flavour of the month, just look at Carroll. Wish we'd had sold Dyer, Bellamy and Jenas for the mental fees Manu, Chelsea and Roma were apparently willing to part with.

It could fund the next manager's rebuild, all well getting rid of fringe players, but if you are operating at your max then it hardly makes a difference, not when you are wanting to sign big players to cement your position in the CL should you get it.

Who would you sell first out of interest? (if you had to (Bale/Modric))

Yeah, I know, but they still have to get him (or as much of him as they can) off the books. They may think that we are far less likely to challenge next year if we have CL football to worry about - no more comedy European sides.

Edit: @Unbelievable

Well yeah, sometimes it is right to cash in on the flavour of the month, just look at Carroll. Wish we'd had sold Dyer, Bellamy and Jenas for the mental fees Manu, Chelsea and Roma were apparently willing to part with.

It could fund the next manager's rebuild, all well getting rid of fringe players, but if you are operating at your max then it hardly makes a difference, not when you are wanting to sign big players to cement your position in the CL should you get it.

Who would you sell first out of interest? (if you had to (Bale/Modric))

If you're operating at your max, then getting rid of fringe players is pretty much the only way to make a difference. You have to bring kids through too, and employ a wage policy that is heavy on bonuses (and thus a failure to, say, get into the CL does not bankrupt you). I'm not sure what people expect Spurs to do. We have enough excess baggage right now to generate the extra one or two players we need, but the squad will be sorely stretched next season. I think we're able to pay 15M or so for a key player, and right now that key player is either a forward or a young keeper. Krul fits the bill, so that's why there is so much speculation.

I think you would be mad to sell. I think he is at the level where you build a team on him that lasts 10 years. I also think that he is perfectly happy at Newcastle. The only questions are whether we get into the CL next year, and who our manager is. They are the only things that might sway him, as you are going to be paying comparable wages to us.

As for Bale or Modric, well I genuinely don't know. If you put a gun to my head I would probably say Modric, as we can still field a damn strong, balanced midfield without him. I honestly think that both are equally important.