Sir Bobby Robson (1933–2009)

Guest Stephen927

Don't know if it's been mentioned but there's 3 hours of tributes on ITV4 now, including the re-run of the Italia 90 semi final which is on now.

that was the most nerve racking match ive ever watched tbh.

Loads of times i caught myself welling up reading a paper or watching the news; felt so detached not being in Newcastle area for this.

All i heard all weekend was good words about him, but not a single soul to really share my grief with.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but there's 3 hours of tributes on ITV4 now, including the re-run of the Italia 90 semi final which is on now.

that was the most nerve racking match ive ever watched tbh.

I thought at the time that Shilton was hopeless on the penalties, continually going the right way, but too slowly.

Almost twenty years ago.  :kasper:

Loads of times i caught myself welling up reading a paper or watching the news; felt so detached not being in Newcastle area for this.

All i heard all weekend was good words about him, but not a single soul to really share my grief with.

Same here, can't believe I'm out of the country :(

One of the journalist old guard has decided to stick his boot in.

Brian Glanville, hang your head in shame.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6736007.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

Explain?

He's pretty much laid into his England record, accused him of being a long ball merchant, blamed him for an injury to Bryan Robson, and brought up several bust-ups that have long been forgotten.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6736007.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

Explain?

He's pretty much laid into his England record, accused him of being a long ball merchant, blamed him for an injury to Bryan Robson, and brought up several bust-ups that have long been forgotten.

He can't re-write history, that's what happened. His career wasn't exactly a bed of roses.

Very, very little in there to quibble with imo. :neutral:

Explain?

I've only read the first page, but he's the first one of them not to re-write the way he was viewed by the English press up to Italia 90.  They've been all to keen to ignore the way they behaved towards him then in recent years.  Fair play to Glanville for his honesty tbh.

Explain?

was it true or false ?

you'll not find many for example who don't think that we really only played well once during italia 90 and that was in the semi defeat.

My view is that if you want to be completely honest then you need to be honest about the good stuff too, but there is not much of that there. To be fair, the Sunday Times seems to have noticed this too as they got someone else to write nice stuff about what he did on the continent on the third page.

My view is that if you want to be completely honest then you need to be honest about the good stuff too, but there is not much of that there. To be fair, the Sunday Times seems to have noticed this too as they got someone else to write nice stuff about what he did on the continent on the third page.

The f***ing title is "Sir Bobby Robson 1933-2009: the bravest knight" man :lol:

That could have been the editor to be fair.

That could have been the editor to be fair.

James, go to bed.

Same here, can't believe I'm out of the country :(

I feel exactly the same, no one to share my grief with.

Went to the ground yesterday afternoon, was a bit overwhelmed by the scenes outside the ground, the queues were all the way down to the box office.

Sat for 10 minutes inside the ground, thought about the 8-1 v Sheff wed and the 4-2 against Villa away and everything that came between. More than that, i thought about Ipswich fans and the other clubs he managed and that Sir Bob was obviously so much more than his time in Newcastle. He has been a great inspiration to many people, we are lucky to have shared in that. Reading George Caulkin's article really brought that home but also reminded me that wherever his greatness was achieved, he was a footballing hero, a true working class hero, one of our own, one to be proud of, a true son of this fabulous region (not city).

On another note, leaving shirts, scarves and cards is fine but i do think he would have preferred people to donate their money to his charity than spend it on flowers.