Sir Bobby Robson (1933-2009)

Guest Stephen927

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1739057,00.html

31 Jul 2009

Sir Bobby Robson Passes Away

NEWCASTLE United were deeply saddened today to learn of the death of Sir Bobby Robson at the age of 76.

Sir Bobby, who managed Newcastle United from 1999-2004, had bravely been battling cancer for a number of years and only last Sunday had enjoyed a hugely successful charity game at St James' Park.

United Managing Director Derek Llambias said: "Sir Bobby was one of the game's true footballing legends, a unique, passionate man who gave so much to the game.

"He will be enormously missed by the whole football community worldwide and we extend our sincere condolences to his wife Elsie and family.

"We may never see his like again."

Anyone wishing to lay tributes to Sir Bobby may gain access to St James Park today until 5pm and Saturday/Sunday 9am - 5pm via the Tunnel access at the North West Corner of the Stadium.

United players and staff, upon hearing the news, held a minute's silence at the Training Ground this morning.

In case anyone missed it.

I'm going up to the ground later to tie my scarf to the big gates. Feel absolutely gutted.  :weep:

Wish i was close enough to Newcastle to be able to do the same. Can't get over this, absolutely brilliant human being. Remember being over the moon as a 10yr old kid, my mam knew Carl Serrant who played for us at the time. I got a signed picture of Alan Shearer (which still rests on my unit in my room) and a calendar signed by Sir Bobby and the rest of the squad saying "best wishes from everyone at Newcastle United. A small gesture on the face of it, but it meant the world to me and just shows what a nice person Sir Bobby was that he took the time and got the whole squad to sign it for me.

Guest Heneage

R.I.P Best manager i've seen in my time as a fan, and will take a lot to better, man's a genius and a legend.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Can't help feeling that it's not Newcastle that have lost a treaured son, but football as a whole.  :weep:

It is.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1739081,00.html

Shearer Leads Sir Bobby Tributes

By Dan Sheridan

FORMER Newcastle United skipper Alan Shearer has paid an emotional tribute to Sir Bobby Robson following the sad news of his death this morning.

United's all-time leading scorer played under Sir Bobby for five years at St. James' Park and insists it was former England manager Robson who saved his Newcastle career.

Fittingly, it was Shearer who scored the winner in Sir Bobby's tribute game on Sunday and upon hearing the news, Shearer said: "He was a great man.

"Sunday was a fitting tribute to him and he will be sadly missed by everyone, not just by people in the football world but from all walks of life.

"It's a very sad day for everyone, especially his family, his close friends and anyone who's ever worked with him.

"Bobby was a people's man. He could get on with anybody no matter what age they were and that says a lot about the kind of man he was and why he was so highly thought of.

"He was held in high regard across the world not only for what he did in football but for what he did in life.

"He was a winner, a battler and a fighter and he fought until the very last.

"I've got a lot to thank him for. He saved my Newcastle career - there's no doubt about that - and I'm just pleased I had the chance to tell him that and thank him for it."

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

SSN Emailer

"Newcastle United should rename East Stand - Sir Bobby Robson Stand"

I wouldn't complain.

Can't help feeling that it's not Newcastle that have lost a treasured son, but football as a whole.  :weep:

I don't think anyone who knows about or cares for football in this country will be unmoved by this news.

SSN Emailer

I wouldn't complain.

I think this is a debate for elsewhere (think there's an old thread on it) - but it would be nice to see a gesture of some sort.

SSN Emailer

I wouldn't complain.

I've had this debate several times before. Even though I love the man it still shouldn't. Someone like Joe Harvey needs honouring first.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Think of all the players Robson help bring into the game, that wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Ronaldo

Kluivert

Jose Mourihno was his interpretor too