Sir Bobby Robson (1933-2009)

Guest Stephen927

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Keiron Dyer looked pretty upset there.

Yeah, noticed that too, only player in the line up that looked emotional. The rest looked confused.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Keiron Dyer looked pretty upset there.

Yeah, noticed that too, only player in the line up that looked emotional. The rest looked confused.

Did they have a minutes silence ?

Yeah before kick off, SSN show it, but its live on Sky Sports 2 too (Currently taping it)

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Devastated. Will always remember going to see Wimbledon away, me and my Dad were sat in the home end near the touchline where the managers walked along. Just before kick-off we managed to get Bobby's attention to sign my autograph book but the pen didn't work. Then when he came out for the second half, he found us in the crowd (we were sat a few rows from the front) and he had brought a pen out from the changing room with him so that he could sign my book. Meant the world to me at the time (and still does) and even though it was only a small gesture, it just sums up the class of the man (something that he had in abundance that not a lot of people in football have nowadays). He will be sadly missed.

Pure class - what a guy.

I wasn't going to come online this morning as I'm leaving for the airport in just over two hours, but having heard this mornings sad news I felt compelled to come and leave a tribute.

Sir Bobby Robson was one of the greatest men in football - not only a gentleman, a funny man, a great manager and a husband, but also an icon for football. Without a doubt his tenure at St James Park was a blessing, I feel honoured that Bobby was at our club. This mornings news has deeply saddened me and I shed a tear on seeing Sky Sports News as it broke. He was also a great player, capped 20 times by England, and had the honour of managing his country, with the best record in a major tournament since 1966. As someone on SSN said, the word "legend" is overused, but Sir Bobby is certainly a legend of the game.

RIP Bobby. Best wishes to your family and close friends. The game has lost one of it's most interesting and iconic characters, and you will be sorely missed.

:weep:

Devastated. Will always remember going to see Wimbledon away, me and my Dad were sat in the home end near the touchline where the managers walked along. Just before kick-off we managed to get Bobby's attention to sign my autograph book but the pen didn't work. Then when he came out for the second half, he found us in the crowd (we were sat a few rows from the front) and he had brought a pen out from the changing room with him so that he could sign my book. Meant the world to me at the time (and still does) and even though it was only a small gesture, it just sums up the class of the man (something that he had in abundance that not a lot of people in football have nowadays). He will be sadly missed.

I think I was at that game, one of his first in charge. The team bus was late, and I was with the fans waiting for it. Each player got a decent amount of applause as they got off, it erupted when Bobby showed his face.

Guest Heneage

i think naming the academy after him would be fitting personally

:sadnod:

Couldn't agree more, the man discovered and brought up one of best striker in the world in Ronaldo.

Just watching old videos of Arsenal and Leeds away, the team he put out would destroy our current crop, young, fast, technical, great to watch.

i got his autograph shortly after he became our manager, mam phoned me up from town to say bobby was giving a book signing at waterstones, so picked up my copy of his autobiog and rushed there. got my mam to stand there for best part of an hour so that id be first in line. shook his hand, exchanged a few words, and the book still has pride of place on my bookshelf. still chuffed after all these years that i got to do that.