The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

Guti has to be one of the most underrated players in the world. Seems like every year Madrid buy someone who's supposed to be better than him, but every year he ends up playing loads and is always class.

The gulf in class between 2nd and 3rd in La Liga is incredible.

Did you see Wegner rant at La Liga?

I did not.

Here it is

"I can't see anybody with a competitive edge wanting to go to Spain," said Wenger. "They have two good teams and the number three is 27 points behind.

"Next weekend the players threatened to strike because they are not paid. It is a league in complete disarray."

Speaking at his press conference ahead of Arsenal's trip to Wigan on Sunday, Wenger railed at the assembled media for their persistent questioning on the future of Fabregas

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8624846.stm

Wigan/Arsenal looked a right game on MOTD. Couldn't believe it when I checked the result earlier having last seen the score on 75 minutes.

Lovely goal from Insomnia, who looked lively again. Nice to see Theo score and look dangerous too, some of his runs in behind that they showed were beautifully timed.

Players not being paid, that would never happen in the Premier League.

What a f***ing shot, Silva!

And he's completely bending the facts, the strike - which had already been called off when he gave that interview - was on behalf of players not being paid are in clubs in administration in our third and fourth flights, not the top division.

Bitter c***.

If Silva starts shooting more, he'll be unstoppable.

You could have watch either Chelsea-Arsenal match this season and come to the same conclusion, tbh. Still, I can't disagree that La Liga has disappointing and somewhat boring this season. Outside of Premiership, Ligue 1 and Serie A have had the best entertainment, imo. Bundesliga is close too, but I haven't really seen enough to comment on it.

You could have watch either Chelsea-Arsenal match this season and come to the same conclusion, tbh.

Chelsea are 1st.

I mean yeah, they are, but Man U and Chelsea have been rather close as the top two in England for most of season. Also, Manchester has also beaten Arsenal twice this season, with one of those matches being something of a rout, as well.

Wigan/Arsenal looked a right game on MOTD. Couldn't believe it when I checked the result earlier having last seen the score on 75 minutes.

Lovely goal from Insomnia, who looked lively again. Nice to see Theo score and look dangerous too, some of his runs in behind that they showed were beautifully timed.

Yes, I watched this game(and enjoyed it)with a great deal of interest - not just because Arsenal had a chance to get back into the title race and blew it, but mainly to see how we would look against sides we need to beat to stay up...i.e.. Wigan.

I was not encouraged by what I saw...although you cannot really judge on one game, Wigan looked a definite class ahead of the current NUFC side ; they were committed, more mobile, had speed in the areas that mattered(i.e. mainly up front where we are slow) and generally had Arsenal on the ropes even though the Gunners got into a 2 goal lead(which NEVER looked safe).

Yes, Wigan had a stroke of luck with the equalizer after Almunia made a mess of what should have been a simple take, but they deserved at least a draw for their possession and attacking play - N'Zogbia was his usual mixture of brilliance & frustration, but he caused them endless problems with his pace and directness. He really should have had more than 1 goal, but what a beauty it was, deserving if winning any match....

Unless we get at least 2 players with pace & skill, one in midfield and another up front, we are going to look pedestrian in the top flight against all but about 3 sides.

Yes, I watched this game(and enjoyed it)with a great deal of interest - not just because Arsenal had a chance to get back into the title race and blew it, but mainly to see how we would look against sides we need to beat to stay up...i.e.. Wigan.

I was not encouraged by what I saw...although you cannot really judge on one game, Wigan looked a definite class ahead of the current NUFC side ; they were committed, more mobile, had speed in the areas that mattered(i.e. mainly up front where we are slow) and generally had Arsenal on the ropes even though the Gunners got into a 2 goal lead(which NEVER looked safe).

Yes, Wigan had a stroke of luck with the equalizer after Almunia made a mess of what should have been a simple take, but they deserved at least a draw for their possession and attacking play - N'Zogbia was his usual mixture of brilliance & frustration, but he caused them endless problems with his pace and directness. He really should have had more than 1 goal, but what a beauty it was, deserving if winning any match....

Unless we get at least 2 players with pace & skill, one in midfield and another up front, we are going to look pedestrian in the top flight against all but about 3 sides.

It was Fabianski on goal today, Almunia doesn't have the exclusive on goalkeeping awfulness at Arsenal.

Fabianski?! :lol: I'm surprised they let this guy play after Porto. He looked concussed throughout the duration of that match, and has been error-prone generally.

I'm surprised they do not use that Mannone. He's looked good when called in and is supposed to be the future #1 in London.

Guest Phil K

I wish John Motson would f*** off and retire. His voice literally couldn't be more annoying.

Yes, definately. He's had more comebacks than Frank Sinatra.

Problem is, theres so few GOOD commentators coming through.

Can't think of one on Radio 5 for instance (I include Alan "Knobhead" Green)

Let alone MOTD

It was Fabianski on goal today, Almunia doesn't have the exclusive on goalkeeping awfulness at Arsenal.

Yep - my apologies...so used to Almunia being their horror custodian, i named him and as you say, i should have named Fabianski. No wonder there is some talk of Krul going there....

we should all prey that portsmouth are allowed in the europa league

cos it will mean liverpool wont qualify for europe as things stand  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny how Liverpool fans aren't "arrogant" for expecting automatic champs league place, and cups every year (still not enough) and we ARE for expecting to be in the Prem with 50,000 gates !

I agree wholeheartedly. Love to see Liverpool miss out and hear the screams of condemnation, and demands they should be allowed in anyways because they are Liverpool.

Even if it means Villa getting in. I couldn't believe it when i heard Villa fans - many of them anyways - were furious at O'Neill and want someone else (they seem to have slunk back in the shadows recently with the disbelief from other clubs fans)

You'd have a better chance of understanding it if you went to our matches, week in, week out.

Even so - you are quite high, and one final and a semi.

Disappointment, yes.

At first when I read about it, i thought "Nah. The rags a testing their spite out on Villa fans in preperation for next year with us !" :D

But then several calls on the radio, half were furiously defending the anti-O'Neill view, and half trying to explain it was only a "tiny minority" (wish I had a penny for hearing THAT in all walks of life !!!) but even among Villa fans seem to be divided on the subject, don't they ?

But who could Villa get who'd do as well, never mind better ?

Or - just thought. Do you think he may be thinking theres a chance of the Liverpool job next season ? And prepare the ground so to speak ?

Look at it from my point of view. I'm a season ticket holder, don't get the chance to go to away matches any more, but here's our home record for the last two years.

This season: W7 D8 L2

Last season: W7 D9 L3

Last year we only scored 27 goals at home, this season we've scored 28 so far, but 10 came in matches against Burnley and Bolton, leaving just 18 for all the other matches.

Whereas we do quite well away from home, we really struggle to break down teams who come to defend, and that was the case for the entirety of last season, too.

I know finishing 6th or thereabouts again is good, but you can't look at it in isolation, it is too easy to say "what are they moaning about", but when you're forking out the best part of 600 quid a year and not getting much entertainment, it's not surprising people grumble.

He's an infuriating manager. So good in so many ways, but in other ways a bit stuck in the past.

I`m about to womit to the thought of Spurs taking the 4th spot, what a shit development that would (maybe not but it feels that way).

They used to be at the same level as us for many years and now they are there where we thought we would be.

Depressing stuff that

They're light years ahead of us atm whether they get 4th or not.  Know what you're saying though.