Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

McKay is well dodgey, but why are Newcastle bothered though we were giving him away? Or is it just sour grapes on Ashley's part?

Yeah mountain out of a mole hill tbh ,Random observation but when Joey went along the Newcastle team before the game Saylor avoided a kiss from him and i missed it as i was at work ,so just wondering if it was just a jokey anti man love thing  :hom:

Willie McKay has defended his part in Joey Barton’s transfer, claiming the fee he received from Queens Park Rangers was fair.

There have been reports that the FA would investigate McKay for his part in the former Newcastle midfielder’s move to Loftus Road on a free transfer after £2.5m was allegedly paid out to agents for their part in the deal.

But McKay has told talkSPORT that QPR got a bargain when they signed Barton and they had no qualms about the fees involved.

“I regard Joey Barton as a £10m player,” he told Keys and Gray. “So whatever fee I got, working on behalf of Queens Park Rangers, was fair to say the least.

“I think Queens Park Rangers are very, very happy with Joey Barton. Joey is a very committed guy and he will be a fantastic signing for them.”

Willie McKay has defended his part in Joey Barton’s transfer, claiming the fee he received from Queens Park Rangers was fair.

There have been reports that the FA would investigate McKay for his part in the former Newcastle midfielder’s move to Loftus Road on a free transfer after £2.5m was allegedly paid out to agents for their part in the deal.

But McKay has told talkSPORT that QPR got a bargain when they signed Barton and they had no qualms about the fees involved.

“I regard Joey Barton as a £10m player,” he told Keys and Gray. “So whatever fee I got, working on behalf of Queens Park Rangers, was fair to say the least.

“I think Queens Park Rangers are very, very happy with Joey Barton. Joey is a very committed guy and he will be a fantastic signing for them.”

Probably Joey even would have stayed for that last season without McKay.

its people like McKay who are sucking the life out of football, £2.5m to him for doing what?

For convincing him to join QPR. Probably it was even McKay who advised Joey to not to sign the NUFC contract in January, better wait for a better offer. In the end he probably knew all along that for HIMSELF the best would be to find a new club for Joey to get that kind of money.

Sickening really, not sure why QPR and Joey Barton cant sit down like adults and agree a wage and maybe image rights without this douche bag.

Easy switch really, especially when there was no fee for the clubs to bloody haggle over.

Obertan -

"Barton was a massive player for us. I only got to know him for a couple of weeks but he was a big voice in the dressing room and on the pitch, so he will be a miss, but we have got plenty of quality players so losing him will not be a problem.

"He wasn't afraid to say harsh words at times in the dressing room or on the pitch to wake us up. "

Hate reading stuff like this in hindsight. Anyway, glad it was QPR, and hopefully he'll have a poor day at work today.

It was always obvious to me Barton was one of our most important players for this reason.

Well yeah, but there was talk about how he could be a bad influence in the dressing room, and maybe not everyone's cup of tea. Seems like most respected and liked him.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think Barton was 'allowed' to leave because he was very vocal in his disappointment over Hughton's sacking and the appointment of Pardew and this vocal element helped generate similar feelings among his team-mates too who shared his feelings. I've even heard he actually called Ashley and Llambias twats or something to their faces. It was his strong opinions and influence over the players that the board and even Pardew feared. Pardew for all his patter about rating Barton, wanting him to stay etc. will be glad such an influential spokesperson for the players has gone, and indeed Nolan too, who was also critical of the powers that be for sacking Hughton/appointing Pardew. Obviously from a financial point of view the club cannot pay huge wages to players like Nolan and Barton at their respective stages of their career (i.e. their ages and potential resale value) but for me anyway, the likes of Barton and Nolan were allowed to leave if you like because they had too much influence and the powers that be have shown they do not like that one bit. Hughton was peddled because the players adored him and he likewise. To Ashley and co players and managers are simply employees, not superstars, heroes and legends. Other than their purpose they have little value to Ashley and co hence why they allowed KK to walk, Nolan, Barton etc. to leave. This ideology will be repeated constantly throughout their reign. If the fans all started chanting Pardew's name and making a hero of him, I'm sure Ashley and Llambias would find ways to remove him, as much as he is their man.

I think Barton was 'allowed' to leave because he was very vocal in his disappointment over Hughton's sacking and the appointment of Pardew and this vocal element helped generate similar feelings among his team-mates too who shared his feelings. I've even heard he actually called Ashley and Llambias twats or something to their faces. It was his strong opinions and influence over the players that the board and even Pardew feared. Pardew for all his patter about rating Barton, wanting him to stay etc. will be glad such an influential spokesperson for the players has gone, and indeed Nolan too, who was also critical of the powers that be for sacking Hughton/appointing Pardew. Obviously from a financial point of view the club cannot pay huge wages to players like Nolan and Barton at their respective stages of their career (i.e. their ages and potential resale value) but for me anyway, the likes of Barton and Nolan were allowed to leave if you like because they had too much influence and the powers that be have shown they do not like that one bit. Hughton was peddled because the players adored him and he likewise. To Ashley and co players and managers are simply employees, not superstars, heroes and legends. Other than their purpose they have little value to Ashley and co hence why they allowed KK to walk, Nolan, Barton etc. to leave. This ideology will be repeated constantly throughout their reign. If the fans all started chanting Pardew's name and making a hero of him, I'm sure Ashley and Llambias would find ways to remove him, as much as he is their man.

Hmm.... new chant: There's only one Alan Smith!

Agree with the post btw.  :thup:

Probably Joey even would have stayed for that last season without McKay.

Without McKay Barton would have probably signed a new contract with us back in January (or at least when we were guaranteed to stay up).

It occurred to me last year as I watched Barton and Nolan interviewed after the victory over Liverpool--- well, that's it they're gone.

They had the temerity to dedicate the game to Hughton and laugh off the notion that Pardew had somehow made the difference.

But then I thought, no, that would be incredibly insane and petty. You'd have to be a real idiot and awfully thin-skinned to do something that stupid.

http://www.purplerevolver.com/bulletin/news/121887-vice-magazine-offer-premier-league-star-joey-barton-chance-to-write-column.html

Vice Magazine UK have sent a mouth-watering invitation to Joey Barton via Twitter, asking if the Premier League footballer would like to write a regular column for their iconic publication.

Vice is a free magazine which started in Montreal, Quebec, before moving its HQ to the Big Apple. It is available in 27 countries worldwide including Brazil, New Zealand, South Africa and many parts of Europe.

The famous Mag has long been heralded as a champion of the free press, a symbol of dissident youth, culture, and art, and an outlet for the gnarled voice of the underground.

The approach from Vice UK came swiftly on the heels of an interview Joey Barton did with Kerrang Magazine today, in which he shared his perspective on “Kurt Cobain, Nirvana and being a dysfunctional teenage indie kid.”

Vice UK approached Barton with a brief Tweet asking: “do you want to write a regular column for us, Joey?” … and later elaborated on their vision, saying the column could be about: “Music, literature, sport, politics, the arts... Whatever's occupying your mind, basically.”

Barton is obviously considering their offer, and he put the question to his 500,000+ followers to get their thoughts: “What do people reckon about this @Viceuk column, would it interest you? #listentourdemographic”. The saga continues on the micro-blogging site.

Vice have always been risk takers, with their choice of obscure and irreverent content, they challenge boundaries and tackle issues others wouldn’t touch. Now it’s Joey turn to carry the torch, should he accept the challenge.

What a staggering change of fortunes this represents for the controversial sportsman, who was once vilified for his behaviour on and off the field, and depicted as a tyrant in the national press. The kind of man the editorial team at Vice wouldn’t have acknowledged as human, let alone offer work to.

But the 29 year old has undergone a miraculous transformation in the recent past, he has sobered up, cut his hair in the style of a Hitler youth, and has utilised Twitter as a springboard to reinvent himself as a quasi-intellectual poetic type who adores The Smiths, and dislikes writers of the Sunday supplements.

Barton’s verbal sparring matches with Piers Morgan have been full of surprising vitriol and witt, and he has held his own against the one time editor of The News of the World. He is now something of a cult hero, and Vice obviously want to tap into that.

The general public have also warmed to him considerably, after he helped to lobby a petition to get the Hillsborough papers published in full, badgering celebs, footballers and followers to contribute their names and support the movement.

Amazing what spouting off on Twitter can do for you. Looks like the Vampire Weekend manager he got to do his PR is doing a good job. Barton is well on his way from being a national hate figure  capable of some pretty vicious assaults to a sort of controversial Piers Morgan type figure who some people can warm to (not that I can stand Piers Morgan). He obviously has his heart set on being a celebrity, wouldnt be surprised if he had a show on talksport one day. Would rather listen to him than Collymore tbf.

I reckon he'll definitely say yes to Vice's offer (lots of his followers have said go for it). If he does go through with it, I would actually look forward to reading the column tbh.

Oh, him and Savage should have a football show together tbh.

Can definitely see him moving into the media when he finishes football providing he stays away from trouble.  Can't believe the way the London press are fawning over him now he has moved South.  Infact he provides so much copy for them, he should probably be asking for a percentage of their fees.

I wonder who Joey is getting his PR from ? He's obviously not in the same intellect league as Saylor, but his transformation is dramatic. He's screwed Cashley/Lambias and as a result, he's screwed us. This presentation is not Mackays doing. I'd like to say good luck to the guy, but £60K a week is obscene which applies to many  EPL cnuts