Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

So he's had some good games early on this season, and had, god forbid, 2 bad games in a row and people are suddenly saying he is rubbish?  The fickleness of some people on this board sometimes....

If you go beyond the win = good game, loss = bad game then there's a bit more to it than that. Like the rest of our central midfielders apart from Tiote, Barton doesn't sprint, he casually strolls along then stops after passing the ball. It's why he never gets beyond the forwards to get into the penalty area. He's got goods ability on the ball but in the premier the opposition won't allow you to play at half tempo and that's what Barton does.

Believe it or not, I wasn't actually analysing Barton's performances simply on whether we won or not...

So he's had some good games early on this season, and had, god forbid, 2 bad games in a row and people are suddenly saying he is rubbish?  The fickleness of some people on this board sometimes....

If you go beyond the win = good game, loss = bad game then there's a bit more to it than that. Like the rest of our central midfielders apart from Tiote, Barton doesn't sprint, he casually strolls along then stops after passing the ball. It's why he never gets beyond the forwards to get into the penalty area. He's got goods ability on the ball but in the premier the opposition won't allow you to play at half tempo and that's what Barton does.

Believe it or not, I wasn't actually analysing Barton's performances simply on whether we won or not...

Yeah I realise you were analysing the comments as you didn't really say anything about Barton's performance. But that was my analysis of Barton and it's been pretty consistent whatever the result.

Haven't a clue what other people see in him.

It's not that I see anything in him particularly, more who else is there right now? Guthrie maybe, but there's not much between the two of them and people will be sorely disappointed if they think he's the answer to our problems and will oust Barton from the first team.

Guest neesy111

Thoughts on the chipped ball Carroll fluffed?

Wow, one nice ball in 90 mins of football.  Well worth 65k a week he's on :lol:

Guest Heneage

I fear entering debate with you could be a bad idea but here goes.

I didn't say he was value for money, nor did I say that his 65k a week is money well spent, but when we have a midfielder who can produce a ball of that quality just once in a game that is deemed a poor one, I'm happy for now. Like much of the squad he's had an indifferent season, when he's played well we've won. He's far from a fantastic player, but he at least seems to hold a semblance of ability when it comes to playing through balls and creating.

It appears to be a bit of a theme here but players are either very good or very bad, there is no middle ground. Personally I rate Barton as a solid player with potential to be very good,  Wigan is the worst I've seen him play.

I didn't say he was value for money, nor did I say that his 65k a week is money well spent, but when we have a midfielder who can produce a ball of that quality just once in a game that is deemed a poor one, I'm happy for now. Like much of the squad he's had an indifferent season, when he's played well we've won. He's far from a fantastic player, but he at least seems to hold a semblance of ability when it comes to playing through balls and creating.

It appears to be a bit of a theme here but players are either very good or very bad, there is no middle ground. Personally I rate Barton as a solid player with potential to be very good,  Wigan is the worst I've seen him play.

This is my thoughts aswell realy, I think people like neesy must watch a bit too much Barcelona/Real Madrid if there expecting 5-6 Xavi esque balls each game from a player if he's of any quality.

This is my thoughts aswell realy, I think people like neesy must watch a bit too much Barcelona/Real Madrid if there expecting 5-6 Xavi esque balls each game from a player if he's of any quality.

in that wigan game, that one ball wasn't enough to make up for the rest of his play, and i'm not one saying he's been shit all season.

in that wigan game, that one ball wasn't enough to make up for the rest of his play, and i'm not one saying he's been s*** all season.

I'm not saying he played well against wigan, I just think it's a bit daft to critisise someone when they've had a bad couple of games. Personaly this season I think he's done well in a subdued role, although i'd prefer him to get forward a bit more like

Guest neesy111

in that wigan game, that one ball wasn't enough to make up for the rest of his play, and i'm not one saying he's been shit all season.

I don't rate him, and haven't for the last year, and would rather get rid due to his wages.  Just a very very average player and he hasn't done much this season for me, and his set-pieces are dreadful, no wonder why we hardly score from any.

in that wigan game, that one ball wasn't enough to make up for the rest of his play, and i'm not one saying he's been s*** all season.

I don't rate him, and haven't for the last year, and would rather get rid due to his wages.  Just a very very average player and he hasn't done much this season for me, and his set-pieces are dreadful, no wonder why we hardly score from any.

It amazes me that anyone would disagree with you, and anyone who thinks the Wigan performance was a one-off cannot be going to games home and away.

Barton's surely due yet another heart-on-his-sleeve chat with the Press soon, to disguise his shortcomings.

He does see a lot of the ball and he does take a lot of responsibility for trying to make things happen. A player like that will probably make more mistakes than those who play it safer, but I'd still see him as the player we can least afford to lose. He has more ability on the ball than any of our other midfielders.

Exactly this.  When Barton plays well, we play well.

we're fucked then.

He does see a lot of the ball and he does take a lot of responsibility for trying to make things happen. A player like that will probably make more mistakes than those who play it safer, but I'd still see him as the player we can least afford to lose. He has more ability on the ball than any of our other midfielders.

He has the same problem as Nolan in that he's too slow/physically incapable to be a be a box to box player so ends up just hovering round a small area of the pitch leaving all the movement to other players.

That why we've been shit since we signed him?

That why we've been shit since we signed him?

He's hardly played, that's why. :pow: