Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He'd receive the ball deep, keep it, give it to the right player and be in the right place to support the odd attack.

At worst it'd allow Cabaye to play a bit higher up, that's for sure.

cool story bro lol

this is the same team we are talking about, Newcastle?

how the f*** is he going to receive the ball and give it to the right player when there's no one ever available to receive it?  if anything he would just be like Cabaye completely wasted. Sat deep spraying long balls all day long. 

for anyone who think someone like Pardew would play guthrie ahead of tiote, jonas , perch, sissoko in midfield this season would be badly misguided.

I'd 100% have him in ahead of Tiote at the moment, definitely not ahead of Sissoko though, that's absolutely barking.

As for the other two, it would depend on the opposition and venue of the game. I'd rather see Perch in an away game than Guthrie, for example.

Guthrie ran the show away to Stoke last season, the sort of game people like to see Tiote play in.

Ialso remember Guthrie about two or three seasons back single handedly losing us a game at West Brom, after that game I never wanted to see that guy in a NUFC shirt again. People have very short and selective memories when the argument suits them to.

:lol:

I'd 100% have him in ahead of Tiote at the moment, definitely not ahead of Sissoko though, that's absolutely barking.

As for the other two, it would depend on the opposition and venue of the game. I'd rather see Perch in an away game than Guthrie, for example.

Guthrie ran the show away to Stoke last season, the sort of game people like to see Tiote play in.

Ialso remember Guthrie about two or three seasons back single handedly losing us a game at West Brom, after that game I never wanted to see that guy in a NUFC shirt again. People have very short and selective memories when the argument suits them to.

:lol: fucking hell man that's irony personified.

I also remember Guthrie about two or three seasons back single handedly losing us a game at West Brom, after that game I never wanted to see that guy in a NUFC shirt again. People have very short and selective memories when the argument suits them to.

Surely that applies to almost every player. A striker missing loads of chances, I mean - many on here have slagged off Cisse for God's sake, even though he seems to be our only goalscorer - or a midfielder or defender having a nightmare. I have seen Guthrie have great games. He doesn't seem to have done owt at Reading though

In that game at Brom he was simply horrendous. But the point I was making really was Guthrie was a very average player, who had flashes like any other player, not some super star people seem to be trying to paint him as.  As for the comparisons, as a DM Perch beats Guthrie every time, as a footballer Sissoko is many times more the player than Guthrie is, Tiote or Guthrie, despite Tiotes form this season, I pick him everytime, Anita I'm not yet convinced about but I would take a gamble on him over Guthrie, who I was never convinced about during his whole NUFC career.

:lol: f***ing hell man that's irony personified.

Exactly the f***ing point, lol.

Exactly the f***ing point, lol.

:lol: Fair enough

I don't think I've seen a player decline so much in our colours in such a short period as Tiote has over the last 12 months. He's gone from being our key player and midfield anchor to being an absolute fucking joke and a liability. It's such a shame.

Scott Parker.

Are people really talking about bringing this fucker back? ???  The four years he was here he played well in the Championship and in a very short spell in the Premier League while the team was on a high (and his contract was running out), for the rest of the time he was crap.

Just about everyone's performances have dropped significantly since last season, I just don't see why anyone would believe that Danny Guthrie could have been the odd one out.

No, I don't think anybody is advocating that at this stage. Just saying, like Routledge, we could've done with him at times this season.

Fair enough, if he'd stayed on a low wage I suppose the more options the merrier.  But I can't pretend I wasn't thinking "good riddance" when he finally left.

If I could have kept any of the players we recently let go it would have been Best rather than Guthrie.

Guest elbee909

I don't think I've seen a player decline so much in our colours in such a short period as Tiote has over the last 12 months. He's gone from being our key player and midfield anchor to being an absolute fucking joke and a liability. It's such a shame.

Scott Parker.

Jon Dahl Tomasson I still don't quite understand.

Scott Parker.

Jon Dahl Tomasson I still don't quite understand.

Was used completely wrong, a little like Parker who also had medical issues and a complete lack of movement around him to overcome. He hasn't done too badly since leaving us iyam  :undecided:

• 9 years later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-61811817

Danny Guthrie: Ex-footballer bankrupt over £120k gambling debt

Former footballer Danny Guthrie has been declared bankrupt after he racked up £120,000 in gambling debts.

The 35-year-old started at Liverpool before playing for Bolton, Newcastle, Reading, Blackburn and Walsall.

In May 2019 he borrowed £75,000 from a friend to pay his expenses, promising to repay the loan after selling a home.

But before that he ran up the gambling debts, and when he sold the property in 2020 for £160,000, he chose to repay those debts ahead of other creditors.

The Insolvency Service said he did this "by making several cash withdrawals despite knowing he was insolvent".

Guthrie, whose last-known address was listed as Damac Towers in Dubai, accepted a six-year bankruptcy order until May 2028 at Stoke County Court.

It means he is under a number of restrictions, including not being able to borrow more than £500 without disclosing his bankrupt status, and he cannot act as a company director without the court's permission.

Insolvency Service official receiver Kevin Read said: "Danny Guthrie's actions were deliberate in dissipating assets, at a time he was already insolvent, and to the loss of his creditors.

"This extension of bankruptcy restrictions should serve as a warning that the Insolvency Service will take action to tackle such financial wrongdoing."

Guthrie also had spells at Southampton, Fulham, Mitra Kukar in Indonesia and Icelandic second tier team Fram.

“He lives in house, he talks like a Scouse, Danny Guthrie;

in the middle or the right, in the black and white, Danny Guthrie…”

Any excuse to reel off a bit of Blur, although we’ll have to change the lyrics, I can’t get ‘Damac Towers apartment’ to scan into the current version.

40 minutes ago, HawK said:

So sad that this still happens. You would like to think they'd get more support from their clubs when it comes to their finances.

I can't say that I'm that saddened when I see footballers piss their millions away. I'd rather see support given to actual poor people first who struggle to put food on the table, not those that piss away sums of money that the vast majority of familes couldn't even comprehend. 

Guest HTT II

Betting firms need to be banned from advertising like. They did it with tabs. I wouldn’t mind seeing drink adverts banned either. I sympathise with anyone who has been struggling with any form of addiction and gambling is up there with the worst, it won’t kill your liver like drink will, but it will lose you everything you have financially. My dad was addicted to slot machines, he would drag us along and we’d watch him just lose every penny WE had. I think in my lifetime I’ve probably put on about 5 bets and maybe the same with the lottery. It’s not for me!