Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guthrie for England? :hmm:

If we had a decent England manager it could happen, at least for the next friendly. But thankfully (so we don't get hold to ransom for his new contract) Guthrie will be overlooked for Lampard, Gerrard and many other 30+ players who have never done it at national level and never will.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's actually a lovely footballer to watch, the way he picks the ball up, moves with it and then switches play. He'd be a fantastic 5-a-side player when he retires. His problem is a real lack of athleticism in terms of mobility and fitness. He plays the game in fits and starts, although today he ran our midfield and bossed theirs. Perhaps what he really needs is a 38 game season or two which he's never had and probably never will at Newcastle. His career here has been fits and starts. He's massively improved though. One thing I have noticed is that when under pressure or being pressed he lacks the skillful quick feet and pace to manouvre away from trouble for example in the way that Tiote plays and that is a real problem for him and us in those circumstances.

That is why Cabaye is the better all-rounder because the Frenchman can cope in an intensive, pressurised, pressing type of game from his opponent, in fact I think Cabaye thrives on that type of game. Guthrie likes time and space to pick the ball up, move and spray it about. He doesn't have Cabaye's vision for the through ball either, although Guthrie's all-round passing is of a better standard, basically he can pick out more passes than Cabaye, just not the through ball, not as well anyway. With Abeid, who I rate, we have some depth in CM at the moment. Arguably we have the best CM outside of the top 4.

Is he going to sign?

I honestly don't see why not. He's proven himself to the club. They've proved he's going to get a fair amount of games, even as the third choice that he currently is. Where's he going to go but downwards if he leaves us. Whilst he's a good player, I can't see a team above us taking him on tbh.

The cynical cunt in me still wants us to let him sweat on it a bit, at least whilst we still absolutely need him in the first team...

So long as he's tied down by March, all should be cushty...

Saying that, he might tell us to fuck off if he's lynched as soon as Cabaye and Cheick come back, having worked his tits off for the side.

The cynical cunt in me still wants us to let him sweat on it a bit, at least whilst we still absolutely need him in the first team...

Saying that, he might tell us to fuck off if he's lynched as soon as Cabaye and Cheick come back, having worked his tits off for the side.

Surely he'll have the nouse to realise being back up to them two is a class position for him. One of them's usually suspended anyway, and we'll have the European fixtures next season as well.

???

Surely he'll have the nouse to realise being back up to them two is a class position for him. One of them's usually suspended anyway, and we'll have the European fixtures next season as well.

???

Probably. Shrug.

???

I'm not convinced about that. He could be starting in the Premier League every week for someone like Fulham or West Brom.