Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Zidane didn't create and defend and get into positions to score? O0

Let's agree to disagree.

zidane done 2 out of 3 well enough to let others do the other. neither guthrie nor nolan do either well enough.

but i agree to disagree.

Guest KeithKettleborough

I am not a fan of Guthrie but have to say he probably had his best game for us from my point of view. There were errors but I thought that he showed a lot more than he ever has done.

I kept dipping into the radio commentary now and again and Radio Newcastle did seem a bit OTT about his performance but he was as someone said earlier, canny.

I think we need to see Guthrie stand up and be counted away from home when our backs are to the wall before he can command first choice central mid position. For home games he should be given a decent run to build on the last couple of performances. 

I don't understand this. Bear in mind I haven't seen the match, but the disparity between the radio view of Guthrie's performance and the views of some expressed in here is bizarre.

that'll be the same radio folk that describe alan smith as a "revelation" this season and nicky butt as being "solid and dependable"

I don't understand this. Bear in mind I haven't seen the match, but the disparity between the radio view of Guthrie's performance and the views of some expressed in here is bizarre.

that'll be the same radio folk that describe alan smith as a "revelation" this season and nicky butt as being "solid and dependable"

It is true that each time I hear media talk about players like Smith and Butt that they talk as if they are playing football like they did in their peak at times.  Butt hasn't been very good for a while now, he has the odd game where he is more useful but it's usually 10 gash games to 1 fairly average one ratio for him.  It's like Owen, commentators still bum him as if he is the goal king of the century but the fact is he isn't anymore and probably won't ever be again.

I think Guthrie could be a really good player but he needs plenty of games, which at last he is starting to get.

There will be games where his passing is brilliant and others where it is poor but his overall ability to keep possession, and move it on, is far better than anything else we have.

I'm hoping that if he keeps getting the games eventually he will find his scoring touch too, as we know he has a good strike on him. Even though i don't rate Nolan, Guthrie could learn from him when it comes to awareness in the box.

One thing I've felt more and more about Guthrie from recent weeks is that he has to play down the middle, or not at all. He doesn't have the pace or strength to be effective out wide, and you lose out on his ability to pick a pass, which is his main strength.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest icemanblue

Had his best game for us today. He absolutely ran the show and more than deserved his two goals. Should never have to play on the right again.

Had his best game for us today. He absolutely ran the show and more than deserved his two goals. Should never have to play on the right again.

Aye. Even without the goal, he was fantastic. Always looked to drive us forward.

A season is decided over 46 games, not 1.

Players have poor games and poor spells. Earlier in the season he was our best midfielder, with the most assists.

:pow:

Games Goals Assists

27          4         9

Can't really argue with that like.

Not to mention passes like the one against Coventry that have ultimately ended with us putting the ball in the back of the net.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how he and Barton fit together in the centre of midfield.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Barton play at all to be honest.

Not sure if he'll ever be an important player for us again. His fitness record since joining us makes Michael Owen look like lazarus.

In the last three home games that he's played in central midfield, we've scored a total of 15 goals. He's been very important to us this season, even when he's played out of position.

One thing I've felt more and more about Guthrie from recent weeks is that he has to play down the middle, or not at all. He doesn't have the pace or strength to be effective out wide, and you lose out on his ability to pick a pass, which is his main strength.

Couldn't agree more. He generally looks lost when he's asked to play wide and it's not hard to see why, he's physically not built for it. Same goes for Barton, but similarly he's been asked to play wide far too many games in a Newcastle shirt, usually to accomodate Butt, Smith or Nolan in the centre.