Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

TOP OF THE LEAGUE!  :frantic:

Newcastle United 7 S Harper Knee Injury no return date doubtful

T Kadar Hamstring Injury 1st May 11

K Lua Lua Broken Leg Jun 11

L Best Ankle/Foot Injury Jun 11

D Gosling Knee Injury 22nd May 11

A Smith Ankle/Foot Injury Aug 11

H Ben Arfa Broken Leg 1st May 11

Nah man, it's Sunderland who have an injury crisis.  Not us! :lol:

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

TOP OF THE LEAGUE!  :frantic:

Newcastle United 7 S Harper Knee Injury no return date doubtful

T Kadar Hamstring Injury 1st May 11

K Lua Lua Broken Leg Jun 11

L Best Ankle/Foot Injury Jun 11

D Gosling Knee Injury 22nd May 11

A Smith Ankle/Foot Injury Aug 11

H Ben Arfa Broken Leg 1st May 11

Nah man, it's Sunderland who have an injury crisis.  Not us! :lol:

They've not added Guthrie yet either.

Part and parcel of the game, just got to get on with it and not whinge like a cunt to the entire British media in an attempt to deflect any criticism from the shit job the manager is doing. :thup:

• 1 month later...

Amidst all my gripes about how today panned out, I just wanted to pop into this thread and say that I was impressed with Guthrie again, considering it was another game where he got thrown in without being anywhere near match fit. Took him a while to get into proceedings and he faded with the rest of them in the second half, but he's a bang tidy footballer. Always wanted the ball, took turns with Barton to pull the strings and covered a shitload of ground when defending as well. He was even busting out the outside of the boot at times. I may be imagining things, but he appears to look a lot sharper and quicker than he did in the Championship - quite a few occasions where he received the ball and was able to wriggle free of an opponent before bursting forwards with it/playing a pass.

Like many people I'd started to lose faith after the last West Brom debacle, but he has been consistently good whenever he's played since then. Needs to stay fit (admittedly not entirely in his own control), but I hope we keep a hold of him next season. Very decent squad player, who is on low wages and may be content with another season/half-season being bit-part.

Don't really see a future for him here long-term unless there are some shock departures, but he's good enough to stick around a little while yet regardless.

Guest schmuck

Yep, stick me down for the Danny Guthrie polite appreciation society as well. Needs a run in the side to get going, but when he does I don't think he's often let us down.

Still pisses me off with his shite passes and playing it back constantly, id take anything if someone was offering, that said he's nowhere near the top of fucking useless squad players we have

He doesn't always play it back, though. Sometimes he has to play a ball backwards, I don't have any issue with that if it means we keep possession. Very tidy player and a useful member of our squad.

Question was posed in the Nolan thread where the Cabaye signing leaves him. Surely Guthrie's position at the club is even more vulnerable.

He's probably our 5th choice (at best) central midfielder now and it wouldn't surprise me if we sold him were a decent offer to come in.

Guest BooBoo

Guthrie's the epitome of mediocrity in the PL. Seems a nice lad but if we want to progress we can't be relying on the likes of him on a regular basis.

Guthrie's the epitome of mediocrity in the PL. Seems a nice lad but if we want to progress we can't be relying on the likes of him on a regular basis.

I agree. As backup on low wages he's okay though.

Smith should be gone LONG before Guthrie is.

We wouldn't be able to give Smith away, that's the problem. Guthrie is a decent player on low wages.

Aye, anar. Just will annoy me to see Guthrie go when Smith is still on our books.

He's a squad player. The whole point is that we shouldn't be relying on him on a regular basis. He's perfectly good backup to whoever our first choice central midfielders will be next season, especially with the money he's on. The lad can play a bit and he does get around the pitch very well for someone constantly being accused of having "no engine". There are other players who should be gone long before he is.

We didn't this season just gone, and with the signing of Cabaye - adding to a pool of Tiote, Nolan, Guthrie, Smith and a fit Gosling - he's in a backup selection of three/four depending on formation. It'd be a shame to see him go when we've finally got reasonable depth in this vital position.

Guthrie costs us less than the tea lady and despite my comments earlier in the season he is a decent squad player. No need to get rid, even at 5th/6th choice his wage is low enough to retain.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He's just...fine. Doesn't really do anything of note, just passes it around safely to an acceptable degree. As cheap cover in an absolute emergency, he's fine.