Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just watched the game in full, thought he was excellent. He's always been a lower half PL CM for me, but he showed on Saturday (and against Stoke, tbf) that he's capable of more than that. His technique has always been decent, but it seems to have improved massively going off these showings. Then, of course, his fitness that has always been criticised seems better as well. Long may it continue, he's certainly proved that he's a very good back up CM after Tiote and Cabaye :thup:

I think people were way too harsh on Guthrie after the WBA game last season and completely ignored how he had done for us before that. His first season with us he had some very good games and showed a fair bit of ability I thought, but like everyone else, his form suffered as that shambolic season came to its end. In the championship I thought he was one of our better players as well, he was absolutely running the show for us in the second half of the season and dominating in midfield, chipping in with a fair few assists. Last season he had a bad game against WBA, but then followed it with some good ones (Spurs at home (I think?) and Man Utd at home he was good). And this season, he's been called on without having hardly any match fitness and performed admirably in two tough games. Hope he keeps it up, im a fan and he can be a very useful backup to Tiote and Cabaye.

I think people were way too harsh on Guthrie after the WBA game last season and completely ignored how he had done for us before that. His first season with us he had some very good games and showed a fair bit of ability I thought, but like everyone else, his form suffered as that shambolic season came to its end. In the championship I thought he was one of our better players as well, he was absolutely running the show for us in the second half of the season and dominating in midfield, chipping in with a fair few assists. Last season he had a bad game against WBA, but then followed it with some good ones (Spurs at home (I think?) and Man Utd at home he was good). And this season, he's been called on without having hardly any match fitness and performed admirably in two tough games. Hope he keeps it up, im a fan and he can be a very useful backup to Tiote and Cabaye.

:thup:  Spot on.

I still think he's at his best when he's got a midfield "boss" next to him. I think big characters like Cabaye and Tiote give Danny the confidence to express himself without worrying about having to be the playmaker.

I still think he's at his best when he's got a midfield "boss" next to him. I think big characters like Cabaye and Tiote give Danny the confidence to express himself without worrying about having to be the playmaker.

Yep, has probably played a part in his performances this season. Although he was still the one on Saturday who was trying to take control of the midfield for us after Cabaye had gone off.

i think a midfield of three,  cabaye tiote and guthrie would be very good.  or a midfield of five with them three in the middle.  full of mad energy and technique.  the only thing thats really missing from this combination of the three is possible someone that can really dribble past players, but we got our wingers and hatem, to do that stuff.

i think a midfield of three,  cabaye tiote and guthrie would be very good.  or a midfield of five with them three in the middle.  full of mad energy and technique.  the only thing thats really missing from this combination of the three is possible someone that can really dribble past players, but we got our wingers and hatem, to do that stuff.

It would probably be a good system to use against Man City if Tiote and Cabaye are fit. One of Cabaye and Guthrie would have to make a real effort to support Ba though, as he could get very isolated if they all played their natural game (I think Cabaye and Guthrie are naturally similar players who like to dictate the play and score their goals from 20ish yards rather than really push forward and support the attack.) Would be an interesting system to use away from home against the better teams though if we could get it to work with Jonas and Obertan on the wings and Ba up top.

Another one I was happy to see go but am eating humble pie, no wonder I'm so fat.

I've always liked him.

Same. Sad the way people lumped him in the same category as Smith.

Watched the game again today, didn't look fat which is good.

Although behind a first choice two of Cabaye and Tiote that doesn't mean a lot in modern top level football and certainly doesn't make someone a "reserve".

Over the course of a season with cup runs, inevitable suspensions and injuries as well as international call ups he should feature in a significant number of games, as will other quality squad members.

I think he's a more suitable back-up for Cabaye rather than Tiote, imo.

Some of his best performances, going back to the Championship) were playing in that more reserved CM role. I would think by his style of play he would be better backing up Cabaye, but he doesn't seem to perform as well when he's the main guy getting forward.

I'd agree. I'd love to see that tried.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I think he's a more suitable back-up for Cabaye rather than Tiote, imo.

Some of his best performances, going back to the Championship) were playing in that more reserved CM role. I would think by his style of play he would be better backing up Cabaye, but he doesn't seem to perform as well when he's the main guy getting forward.

Agree.