SSN: David O'Leary 'no longer in contention' for NUFC job

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oh, and unless Shearer suddenly said 'Well now we've been relegated I want more money' then his wage demands should have already been known before Ashley made that statement.

Well he got Leeds motivated and into the Champions League, and by all accounts had good starts both there and at Villa, and he's got the best out of quite a few youngsters. We will have to keep most the squad, but I think we proved yesterday that we have the most individual quality in this division, we just need a few tweaks to the team and the right mentality, and we'll walk this division purely because the players from last season who were slow and with shit technique suddenly have good technique and a burst of speed, and West Brom away was one of the most difficult games.

Just about all of that is wrong IMO. I think we'll find West brom won't be one of the better teams, our players are still slow - where you got this idea that they have discovered a burst of pace from i don't know.

the division is there for the taking but we don't have the firepower to be able to make the most of our posession and unless forwards are signed we are staying in this division.

As for O'Bleary, he stumbled on a good set of kids at Leeds, otherwise there's no reason to think he's anything other than a clueless wanker.

As for O'Bleary, he stumbled on a good set of kids at Leeds, otherwise there's no reason to think he's anything other than a clueless wanker.

I believe at the time he referred to them as "his babies"...including one Alan Smith...who (if you all care to cast your minds back a couple of years) was being feted by the then new (and much-adored) new Newcastle owner, a certain Mr Mike Ashley, as being the type of player he wanted to see more of at this club. No surprise to see Smudger as captain yesterday then. No surprise to see O'Leary being lined up as manager now, either.

I retract what I said earlier about feeling lackadaisical about this situation. It wasn't the right term to be using at all.

I guess, if Ashley has to keep the club, he doesn't want a manager who is the fans' choice -- especially if he can't meet his demands. Look what happened last time, from his point of view.

I absolutely loathe and detest O'Leary, but in the circs he wouldn't be soooo bad a choice. We're not in a position to attract the top candidates.

He'll have the crowd on his back from the off, though.

Guest Heneage

What if Shearer's demands were outlandish? It's clear he'd want a lot of money, and that's before we factor in his wage.

And we know this how sorry?

look at his quotes. He'd want financial backing or did you not see his assessment of midfielders "That can't pass." He also mentioned the paper thin squad, subtle connotations that he'd want money, as I don't expect him to be looking at the loan and free agent market. He also mentioned his list of 7-8, those players won't be cheap.

Guest Stephen927

As for O'Bleary, he stumbled on a good set of kids at Leeds, otherwise there's no reason to think he's anything other than a clueless w*****.

I believe at the time he referred to them as "his babies"...including one Alan Smith...who (if you all care to cast your minds back a couple of years) was being feted by the then new (and much-adored) new Newcastle owner, a certain Mr Mike Ashley, as being the type of player he wanted to see more of at this club. No surprise to see Smudger as captain yesterday then. No surprise to see O'Leary being lined up as manager now, either.

I retract what I said earlier about feeling lackadaisical about this situation. It wasn't the right term to be using at all.

As well as the Smith 17 shirt Ashley used to wear...

Hmm...

Well, if it happens, we can get used to post-match conferences of: "Well, to be honest, I'm absolutely delighted with the effort and commitment the players have show....I'm delighted. But nonetheless is disappointing to lose the game which we could easily have won. But as I said I'm delighted with the players."  :sadnod:

In all honesty, I'd feel better with him in charge than Houghton or Kinnear, but if this happens then when the hell will the club get sold? And if it does will the new owners want to keep O'Leary on as manager? I doubt it. I know I wouldn't.

I think we would get by with O'Leary, and with a couple of additions to the squad there could be a chance we could make a push for the play-offs, but I'd much prefer someone like Shearer or Curbishley, tbh.

Overall- I'm disappointed.

Yeah it'd be really disappointing to get a manager who was on the shortlist to take over from Alex Ferguson when he was going to retire in 2002 and who was 90 minutes away from a Champions League final, when we could get Joe Kinnear or someone who's only experience in management is getting relegated, when he only needed a point from the last two games.

What if Shearer's demands were outlandish? It's clear he'd want a lot of money, and that's before we factor in his wage.

look at his quotes. He'd want financial backing or did you not see his assessment of midfielders "That can't pass." He also mentioned the paper thin squad, subtle connotations that he'd want money, as I don't expect him to be looking at the loan and free agent market. He also mentioned his list of 7-8, those players won't be cheap.

So when Dave said 'Ashley didn't like the home truths of what Shearer said'..  which you questioned at the time, you now completely agree to it?  In the space of just over an hour.

Well, if it happens, we can get used to post-match conferences of: "Well, to be honest, I'm absolutely delighted with the effort and commitment the players have show....I'm delighted. But nonetheless is disappointing to lose the game which we could easily have won. But as I said I'm delighted with the players."  :sadnod:

In all honesty, I'd feel better with him in charge than Houghton or Kinnear, but if this happens then when the hell will the club get sold? And if it does will the new owners want to keep O'Leary on as manager? I doubt it. I know I wouldn't.

I think we would get by with O'Leary, and with a couple of additions to the squad there could be a chance we could make a push for the play-offs, but I'd much prefer someone like Shearer or Curbishley, tbh.

Overall- I'm disappointed.

Yeah it'd be really disappointing to get a manager who was on the shortlist to take over from Alex Ferguson when he was going to retire in 2002 and who was 90 minutes away from a Champions League final, when we could get Joe Kinnear or someone who's only experience in management is getting relegated, when he only needed a point from the last two games.

:neutral:

gazza- You forgot to mention all the great work he did with Aston Villa...

The players Shearer was rumoured to have lined up were exactly the right sort - young up and coming players from the lower divisions like Beckford or players who had their way blocked at bigger clubs like Gunter. These are the type of signings which will get us promoted...if you are looking to stay in the division then you can go the Ashley route and spend nothing and lose out on £40m a year.

I think my hatred of O' Blarney (aside from the fact he's a shit, pig faced, cunt of a manager) stems back to one post match interview when we'd played his Leeds side at SJP. When asked, I think, how this would affect any title/top 4 big (rofl), he basically said something along the lines of "We should be beating teams like Newcastle". Always rankled.

Part of me would rather keep Hughton.

Hopefully this is more media speculation. I must say I will not be surprised to see Ashley stay because he wont get what he is asking for the club.

As for O'leary he is just the sort of garbage appointment you would expect from Ashley if there was truth in this. I cannot think of a worse appointment unless of course the one and only big fat Ron Atkinson was to be dragged out of retirement.

I class O'leary almost in the same useless bracket as him. Both living proof that you can fool some of the people all of the time.

I would certainly be fuming! I'm surrounded by Villa fans day in day out and the rumours of O'Dreary (as they call him) coming to manage Newcastle has just added to the insults! We will be an even bigger joke!

O'Bleary is a fraud of Souness standards IMO. I'll bet if you got some feedback from Villa fans they would back that up. Ashley needs to be found and punched in the face if he is considering this.

why not proven managers like Hollier and Raniery? is it has to be Irish??

Most French have the Holier-than-thou attitude and so wouldn't come here.

Was that meant to be a joke? I laughed anyway. :lol:

why not proven managers like Hollier and Raniery? is it has to be Irish??

Most French have the Holier-than-thou attitude and so wouldn't come here.

Was that meant to be a joke? I laughed anyway. :lol:

Meant to be aye.  :lol: