Newcastle United 3 - 0 Reading - 15/08/09 - post match reaction from page 22

JH

I'm feeling so optimistic about it all now. Especially seeing as Moat was with them in the crowd, reckon that must mean a deal is close.

Definitely on imo. Sat in between Ashley and Llambias. Very encouraging.

Aye, exactly.

If he was just there to watch the game, he'd be sat in his own executive box. The fact that he was cushioned between DL and Mr Ashley, coupled with that handshake, I think something is close.

So, how serious is the Barton injury?

Looks like he might have done his metatarsal again. He mouthed to the referee 'i've broken my foot' and then to the physio 'i think it's broken'.

FUCK

I'm feeling so optimistic about it all now. Especially seeing as Moat was with them in the crowd, reckon that must mean a deal is close.

It's supposed to be all up to that loan of Barclay's, so I wouldn't be so sure.

No, it is optimism time now. Pessimism time was the last 4 years.

We're gonna win the league! :frantic:

Guest Heneage

Brilliant, simply brilliant. These lads are contenders and we totally outclassed them.

Harper 6- Had nothing to do, his distribution needs to be quicker though, too often he's running on his own pace.

Taylor 7.5 - Great, best performance to date, solid in defense and just as good in attack, his crosses picked up but still need work, Simpson won't be walking into the side.

Steven Taylor 7 - Too good for this league, loved his foray's up front and looked good.

Colocinni - 7 settled in the second half looked like he was playing against kids in the park.

Enrique 7.5 - Bombed forward with lightning pace, him and Jonas could be massive for us, his cross was sublime.

Joey Barton 7- His passing is good, hopefully he hasn't broken his foot as he mouthed to the ref.

Nolan 7- Still needs fitness work but was very impressed with his work rate for the second and again good solid passer, his through ball for Jonas was tremendous.

Smith 7- Needs to calm himself at times, but is great at just breaking stuff up and keeping us ticking over.

Jonas 7- same problem with his end product, but his running is clearly a problem for the opposition.

Carroll 6.5 Wasn't convinced. Great last week but this week he was falling on his arse and did little to impress, you are far from the finished article Andy and as Nolan said you need to keep working hard

Shola 7.5 - First half he was pish up until the goal, but he took his goals very well, so can't fault the lad. Keep this up and we should be set.

SUBS

Xisco 6.5- looks low on confidence glimmer of class but needs games and support

Lua Lua 6.5 underwhelming, just ran into blind alleys and was dicking about at the back

Geremi 6.5 - Kept us ticking over not a massive test for Mandela.

Overall; Very happy, this was not a lump it performance, we out passed a side who are seen as a passing side themselves. Carry this through to Wednesday and we could be on for a  very good start to a difficult season.

Definitely on imo. Sat in between Ashley and Llambias. Very encouraging.

Yeah it looks promising, if they weren't doing business Moat would have been more comfortable in his box I'm sure

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED THERE??? unbelievable  :celb: :celb: :celb:

Enrique was incredible (that cross was a thing of beauty)

Smith looked like he finally belongs

R Taylor wasn't the worst player on the pitch

Nolan and Barton were immense

And Shola Ameobi.....I never thought I'd see the day when that kitted out plank of wood would score a hat-trick (mind you it only took 9 years!!). I spent the first 38 minutes slagging him off before the magic happened.

Every shot of Moat/Ashley/Llambias made me even more positive that this takeover is happening and the only thing that let the day down for me was the lack of Mike Ashley hate from the fans.....we can't be seen to just take it.

I'm gonna YouTube that second goal for weeks - those 2 minutes of build up was the best football we've played in years. Spellbinding.

But I'd like to think my facebook status sums it up best: "when shola got that 3rd goal - a pig flew, the earth shook and for a brief moment anything in the world seemed possible." 

Lovin' the Championship  :aww:

Carroll - 5 ineffective and squandered possession/chances.

:lol: did he f***.

Carroll's hold up play was superb and his defending at set pieces was flawless. Problem is he needs a mobile striker playing off him in order to flourish. Even so, he's a handful for any defender and he'll only get better.

Id go:

Harper 6 - No action

R Taylor 7 - Pretty decent performance, great cross for 2nd.

S Taylor 7 - Saved us a couple of times, need him to stay.

Coloccini 7 -  Dodgy moments in first half, looked far more settled after that. Decent passer generally.

Enrique 9 - Been consistantly good for a while for me, great display again. Perfect cross & willingness to get fowards.

Barton 8 - Kept quieter first half, but linked up very well the 2nd & great corners. Was a big part of us knocking it around so easily also.

Nolan 7 - Brilliant determination for the 2nd, great throughball first half. Just needs to improve fitness.

Smith 7 - Some dodgy tackles, needs to not be so rash...got around well though. Did well to put pressure on them.

Jonas 7 - So much goes through him. Looks far more effective when he cuts inside and uses his right...helps us a lot though.

Carrol 7 - Set up one of Sholas chances very well. Many nice touches, decent movement to.

Shola 9 - Did what was asked, put the ball in the net. He wont get a 10 because outside of his finishing...well...but a good hatrick.

Dont think anyone deserved anything less than a 7 outside of harper really. They were all better than a bit above average.

YASAHEFIUSFHIASUJDKSDJ!

What a result. It made me think 'who needs the premiership, at least we'll win games this year'.

Good performance. Can't and don't want to fault any players, although I'm getting worried about Carroll, but the lad needs a bit of time.

Coloccini, well in lad!

Ameobi, we believed in you... honest............ fine, but well played, keep it up.

I appreciate the self-motivation - most of them are showing desire to compete and win. More than I expected. Better keep it up though... Hopefully the fact it's paying off (so clearly, in the case of Nolan chasing down the ball for the second) will act as positive reinforcement.

The amazing thing was the passing, for how long have we been a shit passing team?  Enrique, R. Taylor, Barton, Nolan, and Guiterrez basically did all our passing today and just totally outclassed them in the center of the park.  Also surprised by Smith, Houghton did the right thing, at least if you have to play him, stick him in as  DM and don't let him make a pass more than 5 yards.  He's solid in the tackle. 

Brilliant, brilliant win, the last time we looked anything close to this good was at Old Trafford last year.

This isn't the same Reading though, doubt they'll be anywhere close come April and May.

This is Readings first away loss since January. St James Park could be a fortress this season, hah.

It's also Brendan Rodgers first away game (I think), i.e he's a shitcunt.

Guest bleedinblacknwhite

Great win. Think I saw Barton mouth "I've broken my foot" just before he came off, really hope not.

Pretty sure that's exactly what he did mouth.

I thought he said "I've got to come off". Probably wrong though  :-[