Chris Hughton

Keefaz

In all seriousness he's a very decent bloke and the players who've remained seem to be the ones that respect him and are willing to put in performances for him. (With the possible exception of the Argies I suppose)

His tactics don't seem to shabby either to be honest... If nothing else he's the first manager we've had in AGES who recognizes that Butt is s*** and should not be played if at all possible.

If someone told me at the end of last season that I'd prefer Chris Hughton over Alan Shearer as our manager I'd have said that they were on crack, but that is indeed what I seem to be inching towards.

Toon Stars Lead Call For Hughton Recognition

By Craig Hope

03 Sep 2009

NEWCASTLE United stars Steve Harper and Danny Guthrie have led the calls for caretaker boss Chris Hughton to be crowned August Manager of the Month after steering the unbeaten Magpies to the top of the Championship.

The former Republic of Ireland international took temporary charge of the black-and-white reins back in July with the remit of overseeing United's pre-season preparations.

But Hughton, aided by sidekick Colin Calderwood, has remained at the Gallowgate helm into the new campaign and, after Monday night's 1-0 victory over Leicester City took the Geordies to the summit of the table, goal-hero Guthrie and longest-serving player Harper spoke of their respect for the managerial team.

"Chris, Colin and Paul Barron have all stepped up and done a fantastic job," said Harps

"They have got the respect of everyone in that dressing room and that shows on the pitch.

"Everyone has got each other's backs and we're in this together."

And Guthrie added: "Chris and Colin have done wonders.

"It's testament to the job they've done that we're top of the league and I think Chris more than deserves the manager-of-the-month award.

"They've kept spirits up and have won the respect of all the lads."

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1786446,00.html

Best thing about Hughton is that i reckon, if he was asked in a few years time, "what was the best point of your career?"... i wouldn't bet against him saying "2009 when i was Newcastle caretaker manager". And considering the shit he's been put through, it's a credit to the man. He just seems to fucking love what he's doing and i pray to God, he takes the opportunity Roeder had and go out as a mini-hero.

Why can't we just leave it as status quo? Hughton is sending us up pretty much if we carry on like this. What'd be the point in bringing any body else in?

I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If we start a-tumblin', then we can start banging on about a new manager. For now, I thank god each and every day that Hughton is in charge and not Kinnear.

Why can't we just leave it as status quo? Hughton is sending us up pretty much if we carry on like this. What'd be the point in bringing any body else in?

I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If we start a-tumblin', then we can start banging on about a new manager. For now, I thank god each and every day that Hughton is in charge and not Kinnear.

http://www.theocelot.co.uk/modules/news/images/storys/0907021219-statusquo.jpg

Status Quo have no managerial experience, we'd be far better off sticking with Hughton

:crazy2:

I know people want us to appoint a proper manager, but looking at the options available, how many would actually provide results that would justify their proper manager salaries? Shearer is unproven one way or the other, O'Leary could easily turn out an expensive flop...the type of manager who would do a decent job here like Curbishley probably wouldn't have touched the job before our flying start.

A big problem at Newcastle is that we always hand the job to big names who don't deliver what their reputations promise, such as Gullitt, Souness and Allardyce just to name a few recent examples. If Shearer or O'Leary had had the start Hughton has we'd have been hailing them from the rafters, but the fact that a coach has got these results puts things in perspective.

Hiring the right manager is a big decision and Ashley doesn't have the knowledge to be making those sort of decisions. Hughton's probably as good as we are going to get while Ashley is still the owner.

He's nominated for the Manager of the Month award. Well, as expected probably.

Hughton Nominated For Manager Prize

By Craig Hope

CHRIS Hughton has been included on a four-man shortlist for the Championship Manager of the Month award for August.

The Toon boss, in caretaker charge since July 1, has steered his side to the top of the table after an unbeaten start which has yielded 13 points from a possible 15.

Indeed, following last Wednesday's 1-0 win over Leicester City, which took the Magpies two points clear of second-placed West Brom, United stars Steve Harper and Danny Guthrie called for Hughton's effort to be recognised with the monthly prize.

Hughton is joined on the list by Preston North End chief Alan Irvine, West Brom's Roberto Di Matteo and Sheffield United's Kevin Blackwell.

The winner is announced on Sky Sports' Soccer Saturday programme this weekend.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1789979,00.html

Guest The Libertine

i can see him being overlooked because we're the big fish in a small pond and "anyone can do what he did" which would be a shame.

i can see him being overlooked because we're the big fish in a small pond and "anyone can do what he did" which would be a shame.

This. I know a lad who supports West Brom and he reckons Di Matteo has looked clueless thus far and has been lucky a lot. Sheffield United have done alright so far and so have Preston.

Hope you're wrong obviously.

Krul told Dutch magazine Sportweek, that he would like to see Barry Moat brought in as he would bring back Alan Shearer to the club.

On Hughton, he commented: "He wants to keep everyone happy, especially the experienced boys.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_5543352,00.html

This seems to be backed up Hughton's heavy hints that he will overload the midfield this weekend to accomodate Nicky Butt's return. If this happens and it ends our winning run then I think we'll have seen the limitations of Chris Hughton laid bare. A yes man unwilling to make hard decisions won't last in this business.

Krul told Dutch magazine Sportweek, that he would like to see Barry Moat brought in as he would bring back Alan Shearer to the club.

On Hughton, he commented: "He wants to keep everyone happy, especially the experienced boys.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_5543352,00.html

This seems to be backed up Hughton's heavy hints that he will overload the midfield this weekend to accomodate Nicky Butt's return. If this happens and it ends our winning run then I think we'll have seen the limitations of Chris Hughton laid bare. A yes man unwilling to make hard decisions won't last in this business.

Hughton last season left out Michael Owen against ManU and Arsenal (out of the starting line up). It was definitely a hard decision that time imo.

Guest The Libertine

i have similar doubts over shearer with this. he kept playing butt till the bitter end despite him being as shit as ever.

i have similar doubts over shearer with this. he kept playing butt till the bitter end despite him being as shit as ever.

Shearer did drop Owen and Nolan though. If Shearer stuck with Butt it was more to do with the situation rather than lacking the nads to make a tough call. Whether Hughton can do it we'll find out this weekend, but i have my doubts.

Guest The Libertine

Shearer did drop Owen and Nolan though. If Shearer stuck with Butt it was more to do with the situation rather than lacking the nads to make a tough call. Whether Hughton can do it we'll find out this weekend, but i have my doubts.

i hope you're right but i'll have my doubts till i see definitive proof. its the "big reputation = great player" myth that practically got us relegated so it's a touchy subject.

i hope you're right but i'll have my doubts till i see definitive proof. its the "big reputation = great player" myth that practically got us relegated so it's a touchy subject.

On Shearer there isn't any proof either way so I don't see how you can come up with a statement that his reputation practically got us relegated. Turning round that situation in such a small window was always going to be a hard task.

Guest The Libertine

On Shearer there isn't any proof either way so I don't see how you can come up with a statement that his reputation practically got us relegated. Turning round that situation in such a small window was always going to be a hard task.

the "big reputation = great player" thing was about the whole season, as in duff, butt, owen etc. players we didnt replace or didnt drop/sell.

Guest icemanblue

I couldn't give a s*** who he plays, as long as we win.

Aye screw player happiness and squad harmony, points mean prizes!

:lol:

Here we go then. How is a win going to result in adverse consequences to squad harmony and player happiness?

By your logic, you'd rather lose than risk upsetting a player or two?

I couldn't give a s*** who he plays, as long as we win.

Aye screw player happiness and squad harmony, points mean prizes!

:lol:

Here we go then. How is a win going to result in adverse consequences to squad harmony and player happiness?

By your logic, you'd rather lose than risk upsetting a player or two?

I think the fact that Butt is being considered for a recall is the best example of not risking upsetting a player, especially a senior one. Obviously if his being picked gets us a win then Hughton is proven right. If he's picked and it upsets the balance of the team, which is more likely, then it will also reflect on Hughton but not in a good way.

Because this is exactly the thought process that landed us with Roeder as manager. We are comfortably stronger than most of the teams in this league and Hughton is doing a competent job at getting us the results we should expect tbh. Things would change quickly if he had some difficult personnel issues to sought out. He's not a manager but is proving to be an excellent coach who's done a great job in the short term, as Roeder did in the past. But don't be fooled, he hasn't got the backbone to do this gig for a sustained period of time.

We should see whether Butt actually starts or not on Saturday before we decide where to bury him and how deep.

Not to do with whether he plays, but whether Butt's inclusion helps us get a win. If we win the game, then Hughton's inclusion of Butt is justified. If not, then Hughton looks bad.

Basically what Big TRon said further up the page.