Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/22/said-and-done-number-crunching

particularly this

£3m: West Ham's offer towards the £160m cost of converting the Olympic Stadium into their new 99-year-leased home ground, according to industry reports – with the balance from public money. An Olympic source told BDonline: "They're playing hardball." (£3m: West Ham's nine-month wage commitment to Andy Carroll.)

Why the hell should they be allowed to have the stadium without paying a proper chunk (assuming no-ones going to stump up the full cost) of the conversion?

well they can't have paying for them using the olympic stadium cutting into the profits they'll pocket from selling off upton park

Latest article on the Olympic Stadium, this time from the Guardian............

Olympic Stadium negotiations may drag on past end of October deadline

• West Ham embroiled in tense discussions with LLDC

• Olympic Stadium modifications to cost £160m

Owen Gibson

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 10 October 2012 12.07 BST

The future of the Olympic Stadium may not be resolved by the original deadline of the end of the month.

West Ham United are keen to become the main tenants of the stadium in time for the start of the 2014-15 season but are embroiled in tense negotiations with the London Legacy Development Corporation about modifications to be made to the stadium at a cost of up to £160m and who will pay for them.

The board of the LLDC, chaired by the London mayor, Boris Johnson, after the previous chairman, Daniel Moylan, was moved from the role after only four months, remains split on whether the solution should include West Ham or not.

The LLDC chief executive, Dennis Hone, told the Guardian that talks were entering the "end game" ahead of a crucial board meeting next week, but said there was no "knockout" bid and the arguments for and against football and the changes demanded by West Ham remained finely balanced. "If we can't come to a conclusion, in the scheme of things if it slips another month or two I'd rather get the right solution," Hone said.

"Yes, the stadium is tricky. But it's tricky because we want to get it right. I would hate to bung someone in there and see it fall apart in five years. If it takes a couple of extra months to get there, then so be it."

While football would attract large crowds on a regular basis, he said that aside from the stadium conversion there were also attendant costs in terms of the stewarding and transport considerations.

Hone said: "We've had discussions with all of the bidders. The difficulty is that we're balancing the adaptations we have to make to the stadium against the proposals that have come in and the benefits – financial and otherwise – that those proposals bring. If it was a knockout [verdict] it would be an easy decision, but it's not."

The other bids under consideration, which could be incorporated alongside West Ham rather than instead of them, are from Leyton Orient, a consortium wanting to hold Formula One racing in the Park – though that is unlikely – and a football business college.

It has already been decided that the £486m stadium will host about 20 days of athletics a year, including Diamond League meetings and the 2017 world championships, and will be available for community use. Newham council is contributing a £40m loan towards the project.

Once the main tenants have been decided, a stadium operator will be appointed to manage a programme of concerts and other sporting events.

Some at City Hall believe that, with the already iconic stadium having proved its worth as a concert and sporting venue during the Olympics, the LLDC should press on without football. But others, including Johnson, believe that West Ham still offer the most sustainable long-term solution while wanting to ensure that the deal is beneficial to taxpayers.

Whatever the solution, a full roof and permanent hospitality and toilet facilities need to be added to the stadium shell. But West Ham also want to bring temporary seating behind the goals, for which there are a number of options from stands that could be dropped into position for the football season to retractable seating. That also has implications for the roof, if it is to be extended to cover the temporary stands, which would need to be cantilevered over the existing structure.

Hone said it was important that any modifications were of high quality and would last for the long term without compromising the aesthetics and atmosphere of a stadium that had proved its mettle during the Games.

"My view is that if you're going to do adaptations, do quality adaptations that can last for 75 years and that we can all be proud of," he said. "But that's difficult to justify if the cost comes back on the public sector. Those are the imponderables we're working through at the moment."

It is understood that a decision on the stadium could be pushed back as far as December if no agreement is reached at this month's board meeting. The process, which had to be restarted after a previous attempt to award a long-term lease to West Ham collapsed under the weight of legal challenges from Spurs and Orient, has already had its deadline extended once to allow bidders to make modifications to their original bids.

The West Ham vice-chair, Karren Brady, last month underlined the club's credentials, promising the LLDC and taxpayers that it would not only bring "the most exciting and most watched football league in the world to Stratford" but "retain the Olympic legacy that Lord Coe feels so passionate about" through community work and local engagement.

West Ham are understood to be concerned about the impact of any further delay and remain keen to conclude a deal by the end of the month, convinced that their solution offers the only long term viable future for the stadium.

If the timetable slips much further, there are fears the club would struggle to make the move in time for the start of the 2014-15 season.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/oct/10/olympic-stadium-deadline-west-ham

The future of the OS should have been resolved long before the Olympics started.  Utter shambles.

You've rumbled me ;D Yes it is.

Ah nice one, saved me having to find it .  :)

Being reunited with the teacher. Right in the feels.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7qjrpOiCN1rrlkkp.png

Rangers chief executive Charles Green predicts European overhaul

Chief executive Charles Green believes Rangers will be involved in the formation of a new European league.

Green's consortium relaunched the Ibrox club after the former incarnation could not be saved from liquidation.

“I'm convinced it will happen because otherwise where will the revenues for the top come from”

Charles Green on a European league

Rangers currently play in Scottish Football League Division Three.

"There will be a European league because big teams can't keep subsidising small teams for the next 10 years because they will go stale," said Green.

"Arsenal don't want to play Southampton or Swansea, but ask them if they want to play Celtic or Rangers. It's what the fans want to see.

"Fans across the world want to see Manchester United play Barcelona, not just once every few years but every season.

"If there are two divisions of 18 clubs, how could Rangers not be a part of that?

"I'm convinced it will happen because otherwise where will the revenues for the top come from?

"These days Arsenal are struggling to sell out their game against West Ham."

Last month, BBC Scotland revealed Scottish clubs, including Rangers, were to discuss the possibility of being part of a new European regional league set-up.

Uefa is believed to be becoming increasingly concerned by the polarisation across the game between the top clubs and top leagues and is open to change.

And Green added: "How can Manchester United's revenues be £320m and Aston Villa, who are completely useless, get £250m?

"What Manchester United put into world football is massive, but what they take out of it is a joke and they won't put up with that for much longer."

:lol: :lol:

On a good day, Swansea would beat Rangers and Celtic's brains out IMO

Rangers can fuck right off, they have no right to be playing anywhere else than where they are.  Plus the sheer shortsightedness of those comments, without the small teams there is nothing. I absolutely hate it when people talk about teams having no right to be in the top division, Wigan get mentioned a lot on here as not deserving to be in the premiership but reputation, status, history and legacy count for fuck all if you don't get enough points. You don't deserve to be somewhere you have to earn it on pitch, we didn't when we went down simple as that.

Rangers can fuck right off, they have no right to be playing anywhere else than where they are.  Plus the sheer shortsightedness of those comments, without the small teams there is nothing. I absolutely hate it when people talk about teams having no right to be in the top division, Wigan get mentioned a lot on here as not deserving to be in the premiership but reputation, status, history and legacy count for fuck all if you don't get enough points. You don't deserve to be somewhere you have to earn it on pitch, we didn't when we went down simple as that.

Couched in a more vituperative tone than I might have phrased, but agree with this. :lol: Good post :thup:

"Aston Villa are completely useless", says Chairman of a club who have just been beaten by Stirling Albion, who were, according to their leagues, the 40th best club in Scotland.

Maybe one day we will see the two big Scottish clubs in the PL.

Celtic and Hibs.

It says something about Scottish football that Celtic and Rangers have been plotting their escape for years. It's gotten even harder for Rangers now after their fall down the league, their training ground looks something like this currently.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-47Le4omSQCs/TzxlB_-Y4TI/AAAAAAAAERU/GeEmJ-NyvVU/s1600/GreatEscape13.jpg

Couched in a more vituperative tone than I might have phrased, but agree with this. :lol: Good post :thup:

+2 for the use of 'vituperative'

I went into a place recently to watch a Newcastle game but they had decided to show Rangers vs. Elgin instead. It was a Rangers pub. Boy did I look bad when I burst out laughing when Elgin scored.

If either of the Old Firm were playing it could be really difficult to find a place showing Spurs. When I was there, there was only one pub in Glasgow that would always have the English game on at least one TV.

Something I read about TV power in Norway.. I'm sure Kaiz et al will know more but it seems Brann fans in particular have been actively protesting at games about televised coverage of games - i.e. moving it to stupid times, moving it at late notice and the such. Something appears to have worked as there won't be any Monday matches anymore for the 2013 Norwegian season, the last Sunday match won't start any later than 7pm and all TV games must be announced a minimum of 6 weeks beforehand. I think that's the case anyway - any Solskjaers know more?

Also, with the chaos in Spain with all games kicking off at a different time over the course of Sat/Sun/Mon, I wonder if we'll start to see stronger calls in this country about televised coverage of games fucking fans over? Or are Sky etc just too powerful?

FA Cup 4th Qualifying round (last round before 1st round proper)

South Park of the Combined Counties League have been drawn at home against the winner of the replay between Metropolitan Police and Dereham Town.

South Park :lol:

Gateshead away to Alfreton if anyone cares