Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

25 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

As much as I love Wor Flags, surely you can’t be serious?

Imagine how much good that money could do if it went to the food bank etc

I don’t agree with food banks TBH. There should be absolutely no need for them in 2021 and the fact there has been a rise in them and more dangerously an almost celebration of them sets dangerous precedent and cover ups the government need to force fair taxation in this country in particular the likes of Amazon etc. The sooner they end and it stares more people in the face what a shell of a society we have the sooner we’d hopefully have the right people in government solving the problem. The food bank seems to become the de facto charity amongst NUFC fans.

On 24/12/2021 at 20:33, bowlingcrofty said:

They just need to stop taking money and give it to charity asap. 

The amount of good that could be done with that money is eye watering. There’s no need for us to have a stake in the club now, it’s far better spent going to charity.

Are the Reubens still matching donations to the Foodbank? Imagine £200k going there and him matching it.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I don’t agree with food banks TBH. There should be absolutely no need for them in 2021 and the fact there has been a rise in them and more dangerously an almost celebration of them sets dangerous precedent and cover ups the government need to force fair taxation in this country in particular the likes of Amazon etc. The sooner they end and it stares more people in the face what a shell of a society we have the sooner we’d hopefully have the right people in government solving the problem. The food bank seems to become the de facto charity amongst NUFC fans.

That’s all well and good, but we do need them as things stand.

Spunking £200k on flags when we have people starving in the city is absurd.

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

So until then people go hungry? 

Sadly more people going hungry will be the only way to wake the electorate up. Food banks are just covering up a massive societal issue. The way we are heading is just more and more food banks rather than getting closer to better government welfare. As well meaning as they are they are causing a bigger dependence on them. It’s perverse I know. Now we are at the stage when they are celebrated for want of a better word and people try to be associated with them like the NUST etc. I do assist with food banks and the delivery of emergency food parcels so not oblivious to help it brings to those in desperate need. It just shouldn’t be this way in a country as wealthy as ours.

Anyway. Not really the thread for this. 

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Sadly more people going hungry will be the only way to wake the electorate up.

The (majority of the) electorate don't give a shit about poor people starving. 

You realise who 'we' voted in for the last decade, right?

Even half the starving poor people don't care enough to vote labour, they'd rather blame immigrants and vote Tory because Brexit.

We're fucked.

15 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

The (majority of the) electorate don't give a shit about poor people starving. 

You realise who 'we' voted in for the last decade, right?

Even half the starving poor people don't care enough to vote labour, they'd rather blame immigrants and vote Tory because Brexit.

We're fucked.

Not sure you can say the majority but far too many that’s for certain. 

I didn’t vote for them. Never have and never will.

Hopefully as Brexit reveals itself each day as the shit show half the country knew it would be it’s one less excuse that can be used so people finally wake up and smell the coffee. Again though it’s another example of almost willing hardship on people for them to realise what the actual problem is to do something about it. The answer is to undo Brexit but we won’t. The answer is fair taxation to redistribute the wealth to allow people to eat but we won’t. We’ll just let the poor and the working class setup and contribute to more and more food banks.

Yep that’s the way we are heading. Certainly under this lot. If Scotland split we are fcuked for extremely long time under this lot.

On 24/12/2021 at 22:36, ManDoon said:

It’s mind blowing that money hasn’t just been donated? What’s the hold up. 

Beauracracy I suspect. It will ahve to be ran through legal channels, and the guardians, etc. Probably some debate on who to donate it too as well. Shouldn't be overly hard like I'd think if they out it to member vote and the guardians agree to give it to charity.

5 hours ago, Sima said:

I think they set it up not having a single clue on how to run a 'trust' by the standards that are legally required from a trust. Any significant legal pressure will expose them and their incapacity.

There's an expectation when something is named a trust and they are falling way, way short of that.

To be honest, I think a lot of other trusts are probably ran equally as bad if not worse. Difference is, this trust now has a lot more accountability given it's high membership.

They're problem is the lack of significant engagement, transparency and accountability. Rather than their responsibility as people are seemingly suggesting. Nowt bad is happening with the money, it cannot. 

5 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Why not just be honest, admit that and ask for help? Plenty of folk would be willing to support the running of it in various ways.

But they don’t do that, because it’s a closed shop with Alex stood at the door. It’s deceitful. 

I’ve offered advice numerous times and been ignored, as have many others.

When you're investing a lot of time and effort into something is sometimes difficult to take criticism. However, I think what is sometimes lost with the trust, is whether it's constructive criticism or not. Their seems to be a view that all criticism is not constructive, which frankly, is wrong. 

4 hours ago, LFEE said:

I know the money was promised to charity if scheme stopped but always thought the money would be better served given to Worflags. Imagine the whole ground adorned with banners etc.

I like this idea, obviously, but I think the correct route for the trust would be to split it across a whole load of initiatives, with the vast majority being charities. The foodbank, north east homeless, maybe get defibrillators around town or such like given that recent fella. Even contributing to local kids football or something :thup:

3 hours ago, LFEE said:

This is somewhat true as well. It's important we don't lose sight of othet charities or the failures of government. However, it is also the lesser of two evils to help those in need rather than make them the martyr / sacrificial lamb against their will.

I think splitting the pledge down is best for all :thup:

5 minutes ago, Disco said:

Definitely. From a cynical side as well for the Trust it’d make for much wider ranging PR too.

Absolutely. If I'm totally honest, I think there needs to be a lot more frequent and varied engagement, both online and offline in order to retain the members they attained through opportunism. By achieving so much for a multitude of causes, it gives them a great new pedestal to push off from. However, they need to change their tact to make themselves more accessible imo. The trust potentially has a big role to play with the crouch report, it's important they gain/retain any trust of the support and not just it's membership.

2 hours ago, Disco said:

Definitely. From a cynical side as well for the Trust it’d make for much wider ranging PR too.

Yeah if they gave 20 organisations £10k each should be able to provide a spread of activity across the area and it might help some of them through the January/February with charitable donations reducing usually at this time of year. It could even be open to the membership to put forward suggestions and just poll them with a series of regular updates - if you have a mailing list of 13,000 people the follow up % is potentially quite good too for these organisations to see what they're doing to support the community.

20 hours ago, robbo_11 said:

Yeah if they gave 20 organisations £10k each should be able to provide a spread of activity across the area and it might help some of them through the January/February with charitable donations reducing usually at this time of year. It could even be open to the membership to put forward suggestions and just poll them with a series of regular updates - if you have a mailing list of 13,000 people the follow up % is potentially quite good too for these organisations to see what they're doing to support the community.

I like that idea, and picking charities relevant to the club where former players have had illnesses, ie dementia research (Terry Mac), PSC Support (Dyer) etc. 

11 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

As unfortunate as it is, I'm not sure it's the place of the club to be refunding travel costs etc. so I'm not really sure what "following up" entails. 

Newcastle United wordsearch books at £17.99 each.

9 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

As unfortunate as it is, I'm not sure it's the place of the club to be refunding travel costs etc. so I'm not really sure what "following up" entails. 

Weirdly other than donating the money to WorFlags my other thought was put in a trust of sorts to cover stuff like this and games moved last minute for TV. Just as it stands it’s a tricky one to administer.

There really needs to be more joined up thinking when it comes to away travel with all the authorities with arranged transport etc part of possible ticket package at subsidised prices. LNER increasing the purchase date for cheap Advances was a bit of a nightmare move for travelling fans.

15 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

“Hi, can you do something about the money fans have lost?”

”No.”

”Thanks. Can Alex sit in the big chair in Eddie’s office?”