Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

20 hours ago, Joey Linton said:

I don't think it's shady, but it's piss poor. 

I think it’s shady. Either a statement saying the intention is still to work towards buying a stake in the club or one saying now Ashley is gone, they’ll donate the money to charity surely isn’t much?

Edited by Optimistic Nut

It was laughable from the off - ‘the Pledge’.  Self-publicising wankers unaware of history and the very support that they’re part of - the support was offered the chance to buy a sizeable stake in the club 30 years ago, effectively the chance to run it, and couldn’t raise the couple of million required.  Then the floatation in ‘97, where fans bought stock at a minimum of £500 per person, only to find it meant f*** all and eventually got little back when Ashley bought the club.  That and the fact that we’ve never exactly been the most organised bunch at the best of times.  The notion that they’d buy a 1% stake was a joke.  Utterly meaningless.  As is the notion of fan ownership of top clubs, without government intervention.  Massive announcement to tell us about something which had been tried on a grander scale with a smaller budget, and got nowhere.  Basically, this was a fanzine trying to get itself a voice paid for by the public - and the public gave its response in no uncertain terms.   

The only thing of note that the fanzines ever achieved from my recollection was when The Mag effectively campaigned (and TF, possibly?) managed to get Barry in the Box and Alan F***ing Robson to stop playing that yuppie pish ‘Local Hero’ when the players came out.  And how long-lasting was that success?

Just seems bizarre the only things they ever try and do is raise money.

Memberships

Puzzles

The pledge

Why does a Trust even need money? The purpose of the Trust is to be a middle man and communicate between the club and the fans, giving fans a collective voice.

All they need to do is get a solid line of communication with someone meaningful and have a regular meeting to share the opinion of fans.

Everything else around or in extension to that is nothing but self-publication.

8 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

So it looks professional?

Why do they need money to engage with the club?

You can look professional by having credibility with supporters and the club by maintaining your actual role of communication, rather than going silent for the majority of the time.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

3 hours ago, MarkyMark said:

The only thing of note that the fanzines ever achieved from my recollection was when The Mag effectively campaigned (and TF, possibly?) managed to get Barry in the Box and Alan F***ing Robson to stop playing that yuppie pish ‘Local Hero’ when the players came out.  And how long-lasting was that success?

How sad it is to read comments like that.

I know opinions differ on things, but that collection of words is so wrong.

Guest Biggsbond14
3 hours ago, manorpark said:

I know why tf would anyone want to stop that song being played unless they don’t know the history,personally think sweet Caroline is sang by morons at England games when it should be a beatles number not a yank song I just fucking hate the connection now 

6 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Just seems bizarre the only things they ever try and do is raise money.

Memberships

Puzzles

The pledge

Why does a Trust even need money? The purpose of the Trust is to be a middle man and communicate between the club and the fans, giving fans a collective voice.

All they need to do is get a solid line of communication with someone meaningful and have a regular meeting to share the opinion of fans.

Everything else around or in extension to that is nothing but self-publication.

the Trust are regulated by the FCA because they are a membership organisation and are designed to benefit the wider community. Their main income should be from fees (members are all shareholders in the Trust) and be directed as to how best utilise that income. They could in theory have their own office or even staff if they wanted to (and it was cost effective) but fundamentally you're right - the main function of a football fan's trust is to communicate effectively with the club and the fans (members and wider community...)

2 hours ago, Biggsbond14 said:

I know why tf would anyone want to stop that song being played unless they don’t know the history,personally think sweet Caroline is sang by morons at England games when it should be a beatles number not a yank song I just fucking hate the connection now 

Including Staveley, Howe, Srnicek, Dubravka, Given and every keeper we've had and now local hero the only thing he hasn't been curmudgeonly about is his defence of the mackems and Alex Ferguson.

Edited by Wolfcastle

17 hours ago, manorpark said:

Dire Straits and Knopfler are pish.  And Local Hero has f*** all to do with Newcastle - it’s the theme from a mawkishly sentimental film about an American who goes to a Scottish village and falls in love with the local eccentrics.

Why do you think ‘Carmina Burana’ replaced it for a while?  Before that bizarre mix of the two later?

Barry in the Box playing a tune before kick off from the mid-90s does not a tradition make.  

11 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

Including Staveley, Howe, Srnicek, Dubravka, Given and every keeper we've had and now local hero the only thing he hasn't been curmudgeonly about is his defence of the mackems and Alex Ferguson.

Hang on - I said Dubravka wasn’t as good as Srnicek or Given, and Howe’s selections have been questionable - and that makes me a curmudgeon?

You’ve got me on Staveley mind - but then, the entirety of the new ownership is hardly cuddly.

Defence of the Mackems = pointing out that the piss-taking of them singing ‘YNWA’ at OT is something we’ve done ourselves?

And the fact that Alex Ferguson took over Man Utd when they were second bottom and they finished mid-table is a ‘defence’ of Ferguson?  I’m not the one who made the terrible comparison to Howe.  I pointed out that Howe and Ferguson were not comparable at that stage in their careers, given the relative levels of success. 

Guest Biggsbond14
1 hour ago, MarkyMark said:

Dire Straits and Knopfler are pish.  And Local Hero has f*** all to do with Newcastle - it’s the theme from a mawkishly sentimental film about an American who goes to a Scottish village and falls in love with the local eccentrics.

Why do you think ‘Carmina Burana’ replaced it for a while?  Before that bizarre mix of the two later?

Barry in the Box playing a tune before kick off from the mid-90s does not a tradition make.  

The reason it’s played is in it’s name and the artist is from Gosforth ,Newcastle  think your ignoring that fact 😎

45 minutes ago, Biggsbond14 said:

The reason it’s played is in it’s name and the artist is from Gosforth ,Newcastle  think your ignoring that fact 😎

I’m aware of where Knopfler is from - it’s not a fact I’m ignoring at all.

It would be as relevant as the team running out to the Pet Shop Boys or the Lighthouse Family.  :)

I’d prefer them running out to the Blaydon Races - which I understand was also written by a local …

Guest neesy111
1 hour ago, Biggsbond14 said:

He was raised in Blyth.

4 hours ago, MarkyMark said:

You only have one life you know . . did you know that?

To waste it writing such genuine rubbish is a real shame.

You could not possibly be more wrong about anything than you are in every sentence of what you have written here.

2 hours ago, MarkyMark said:

I’m aware of where Knopfler is from - it’s not a fact I’m ignoring at all.

It would be as relevant as the team running out to the Pet Shop Boys or the Lighthouse Family.  :)

I’d prefer them running out to the Blaydon Races - which I understand was also written by a local …

I was watching the Alan Hull documentary on BBC Iplayer last night - presented by Sam Fender.

There's a great part in it, where the lads are interviewed in 71? about their new release 'Fog on the Tyne' - saying they'd love it to be as well known to Geordies as the Blaydon Races, and perhaps the 20th century version that all Geordies know.

I do like Local Hero, but I do agree that there could be better things to run out to imo.