Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

wow massive knee-jerk reaction, he didn't even have a chance for any of the goals. He did two things wrong, which Man United didn't take advantage of. Not one person mentioning the 2-3 good saves Harper made.

He is better then Elliot.

Not sure of that excuses it.. :lol:

I'm not sure if Krul would have done better on the corners, but Harper surely doesn't command his area well enough. He's not the tallest and has lost whatever spring he had, meaning he's not only vulnerable on the ground but also in the air. The only thing still on par for a Premiership goalkeeper is his reflexes. He did make some good saves too, but there's no denying we've lost valuable points in Krul's absence.

I'm not sure how you can say he's better than Elliot too. The latter has been fairly solid this season after a shaky start and has age on his side. There's still a chance he could be a reliable back up for years to come.

Not trying to excuse it, just that all keepers make mistakes like that(especially when defenders couldn't be arsed to make themselves open to pass to). I don't think Krul would have did too much better at saving many of the goals the past few games.

It's pathetic the way people go on, every goal Harper concedes, many people seem to blame him for it.

Elliot has looked poor in all games for us part from the last two, I do see Harper retiring very soon though.

Guest firetotheworks

It's not knee-jerk tastic to say a player had a bad game, or for the same people to stick to their opinion on a player.

I thought Harper had decent game the other week but still think he's past it.

I thought Harper had a very poor game yesterday and I still think he's past it.

Guest Roger Kint

Elliot has looked poor in all games but the last two.

Total games played 3 and a half :lol:

Including friendlies...

Which ones did you watch?

Struggling to keep up with opinions of Harper on here :lol:

Are we liking Elliot or hating him atm?

He's not in the team at the minute so he'll be brilliant until he plays again and goes back to being shite.

It's not knee-jerk tastic to say a player had a bad game, or for the same people to stick to their opinion on a player.

I thought Harper had decent game the other week but still think he's past it.

I thought Harper had a very poor game yesterday and I still think he's past it.

Bingo. You actually can't criticise a one-off poor performance on this forum without people suggesting you have an agenda or of being a 'knee-jerker'. It's nearly as boring as the Giggs thing.

• 5 months later...

Fair play to him, was a decent keeper when called upon, just unlucky for him he's been competing with absolutely fantastic 'keepers while he's been here.  Some people will trot out the 'happy to sit on his arse and get paid' line, I'm pleased he stayed, good pro and as I said done a job for us a number of times.

Fair play to him, was a decent keeper when called upon, just unlucky for him he's been competing with absolutely fantastic 'keepers while he's been here.  Some people will trot out the 'happy to sit on his arse and get paid' line, I'm pleased he stayed, good pro and as I said done a job for us a number of times.

:thup:

Nice guy, used to be quite good too. Sad to see him go.

They might keep him on in a coaching capacity, wouldn't be surprised seeing as that's probably been happening for some time anyway.

Nice guy, used to be quite good too. Sad to see him go.

They might keep him on in a coaching capacity, wouldn't be surprised seeing as that's probably been happening for some time anyway.

Hope so. Remember getting his autograph at the training ground probably 17 years along with Pedro, Howey, Bracewell et all :lol: Fucking unbelievable he's still here.

:clap: Fair play to the lad. It's been said over and over, but he could have forged a pretty good Prem career elsewhere. There were times when you could argue there was little difference between Harper and Given. If he'd been number 1 at a club for 10 years poor lad may have played for England.

Feel like we've cheated him a little. Bloody appreciate his loyalty though.

Cheers Steve :thup: