Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

I think the point is that Given and Harper were pretty much level at one point and then Given got the nod.  He went in and raised his game and cemented the spot as his.  I suppose the question is whether, had Harper got the chance, he would have gone on to be as good as Given.  Harper would almost certainly have improved to a degree, you would think.

I always thought he commanded his box better than Given, but didn't have the shot stopping ability that Given had.

He was never as good as Given. Given had a poor spell and in stepped Harper who did well then Given got his place back and made sure he kept Harper on the bench for most part after that. People are confusing form with quality and comparing both side by side. Is like comparing Shola in a purple patch to Cisse at the start of the season, if both happened at the same time it doesn't make Shola the better striker.

It's a classic example of why you need competition in every slot and why the likes of Simpson haven't improved for nearly two years.

Fantastic player and person to have around the club, also as others have said seems very intelligent. Hope we keep him on in a coaching role or get him back later if he leaves.

I was watching bbc2 at 4am one time about ten years, when i stumbled upon a really good interview with Steve Harper. He was talking to the open university about stuff he was studying and how he fitted in with playing football. I forget wether he was studying through the OU or whatnot but he's definately not your typical footballer. That being said it was 4am and chances are i was chewing my eyebrows off, it could have been Carol Vorderman being interviewed.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Anyone who has forgotten how class Shay was for us and now thinks we over rated him, you should look up that save he made from Kevin Phillips again, as well as all his other saves, he was class.

• 1 month later...

Him and a fair few other youngsters that 'came through' around that time.

Seemed to me at the time that Roeder was trying everything except to play Luque, had to whole reserves team and Shola Ameobi on the left wing ahead of him :lol:

Him and a fair few other youngsters that 'came through' around that time.

Seemed to me at the time that Roeder was trying everything except to play Luque, had to whole reserves team and Shola Ameobi on the left wing ahead of him :lol:

Aye. :lol: O'Brien, Pattison...

Made up for him that he will get the proper send off he deserves. Cretins probably wouldn't have played him even if we were safe. True servant and gent of the club.

Fate has been deservedly kind!

Still shit the bed when he had to come on.