Sol Campbell joins on one-year contract

Ericz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Roger Kint

BIG SOLOMAN! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smitten:

Goal threat!  :pow: :pow: :pow: :pow: :pow: :pow:

Fail :pow:

Necessary signing. He's free, he's still got it, he'll mentor the young guys, he's better than Bramble. :thup:

Howay man, that's not saying much  :lol:

Aye but it gives me an immense feeling of satisfaction knowing the Mackems signed someone s*** and we signed someone half decent.

Bramble isn't that s***, though as we all know when he makes a clanger everybody in the world knows about it. He'll do the same at Sunderland as he did at Wigan, solid for the most part with the odd moment of madness. Much improved over the player who was hounded while here.

When Bramble went to Wigan his reputation was shot and the small crowds there expected nothing special from him, which made the perfect eviroment to rebuild his career

At Sunderland however it will be very different.

If he doesn't get off to a storming start there the crowd will tear him to bits. I know many Sunderland fans who are almost wishing him to fall flat on his face so they can unleash their vitrol on him.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Sol will not allow us to get battered in the games against the top 6.

A back line of

Simpson/Perch Tayls/Sol/Colo/Will Jose/Kadar

is probably as good as we've had for a while

I think a side of

......................................Harper...................................

Perch....................Sol...................Colo..................Jose

.....................Guthie...........................Barton................

Rout................................Arfa?...............................Jonas

......................................Carroll.....................................

would get a few points away from home

Guest Roger Kint

A back line of

I think a side of

......................................Carroll.....................................

Totally agree but cant see Hughton going with it without Smith/Nolan

Necessary signing. He's free, he's still got it, he'll mentor the young guys, he's better than Bramble. :thup:

Aye but it gives me an immense feeling of satisfaction knowing the Mackems signed someone s*** and we signed someone half decent.

Bramble isn't that s***, though as we all know when he makes a clanger everybody in the world knows about it. He'll do the same at Sunderland as he did at Wigan, solid for the most part with the odd moment of madness. Much improved over the player who was hounded while here.

Bramble under Steve Bruce was a different player altogether. Bruce somehow managed to get the very best out of him consistently and in his time at Wigan he made very few of his trademark clangers.

IIRC Bramble's name was actually being bandied about for an England call-up at the time.

A back line of

I think a side of

Totally agree but cant see Hughton going with it without Smith/Nolan

Player for player that team is signifcantly better than quite a few in the bottom half of the Prem.

If we could add a proven pacy striker i'm very confident we'll stay up.

Guest johnson293

Bramble under Steve Bruce was a different player altogether. Bruce somehow managed to get the very best out of him consistently and in his time at Wigan he made very few of his trademark clangers.

IIRC Bramble's name was actually being bandied about for an England call-up at the time.

As has been mentioned though, at Wigan with the smaller crowds, he didn't have as much pressure, unlike when he was here, and what he is going back to down the road. He could just get on with his game. Even the mistakes he made weren't as scrutinised as those he made here.

Its whether he has actually made that real step up, and can handle the pressure of a baying crowd, and keep the silly errors/lapses in concentration to a minimum.

Guest secteur2010

Hughton is starting to do a very good job (there I've said it, now we're gonna get beaten like a gong) at building something that may start to look solid if not unspectacular for our first season back in the PL.

Credit to him, quietly going about his business.

Bramble made plenty of trademark clangers for Wigan.

For some reason people like to make out he was wank every week here and solid every week there. Neither is true.

Bramble made plenty of trademark clangers for Wigan.

Yup, the one against everton where Andy Johnson scores.  I was watching it waiting for wor lass and the commentators were saying he had a new lease of life from Newcastle and Steve Moose had worked the mistakes out....BAM Bramble mis hits a back pass and Johnson scores.

I was fcking creased!

Guest neesy111

considering we we're linked with the likes of andy o'brien etc, good deal does he make the squad and defence better yes, can't go wrong with it and he won't be on stupid wages, he wasn't on an massive amount at arsenal last season either

I still rate Campbell as a better centre back than both Steven Taylor (always liked him at right back over centre back) and Mike Williamson, and so I'm very happy about this move. Coloccini will benefit hugely from playing alongside Campbell, who is fantastic at communicating with the rest of the backline and keeping them organised. I live with Arsenal supporters and so watched a good number of their games last season, and Campbell was really good.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

I think this is a great move by CH, he is looking to bring a lot of younger youth players through but Campbell will add some fantastic experience and balance the team. Hopefully some of his savvy will rub off on our current defenders. Excellent signing.