Sol Campbell joins on one-year contract

Ericz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does this mean our age limit on players is over now?, and if so cna we assume we are the English club looking at Raul?

From what I remember from one of the statements about this, the age limit thing was more to do with players we were paying a fee for rather than free transfers on reasonable wages.

This is a very good signing for the short-term. I had serious concerns about the depth and standard of our CD after Tavernier made his appearance at Norwich, kind of brought home just how precarious it was. This improves things no end.

Wonder if he got his 2 yr contract?

This is a very good signing for the short-term. I had serious concerns about the depth and standard of our CD after Tavernier made his appearance at Norwich, kind of brought home just how precarious it was. This improves things no end.

Wonder if he got his 2 yr contract?

If he has then he's an expensive insurance policy (£3.9m over two years if he's on £40k per week).

Guest firetotheworks

Very happy if this goes through ok and I think he would be a great choice for captain. Well done Houghton!

Houghton's over-rated. Hughton is the real brains in the operation.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Ronaldo and Stifler will be gutted then.

even if he never makes the pitch it's worth it just for that.

:lol:

one big worry for me is that even when he was at the top of his game he always tended to be poor at SJP.

I saw him have an absolutely outstanding game when he was playing Spurs at our place - he was an absolute rock.

Only bettered by a Tony Adams defensive display at St James' in my years of watching us at home.

Hard to better this for a short-term signing - only question is over pace but he seems to have done OK with Arsenal last season.

Def better than having Bramble back.

People talk about pace, but I can't say with any certainty that our other options in Taylor and Williamson are any faster than Sol.

We are going to have to someone just in front of Colo/ Sol or we will get murdered through the middle. If there is more than a 10 yard gap between that pair and a midfield anchor we will be in trouble.

Sol did well last year but Arsenal keep the ball far better than we do and that is a huge concern. Hopefully he will do ok but we can't expect him to play every game and he will get injured.

Always had a soft spot for him, not quite Stuart Pearce coming to Newcastle, but still one of the best in his time and still has something to offer if he's fully fit mentally and physically.

one big worry for me is that even when he was at the top of his game he always tended to be poor at SJP.

I saw him have an absolutely outstanding game when he was playing Spurs at our place - he was an absolute rock.

Only bettered by a Tony Adams defensive display at St James' in my years of watching us at home.

when ? it may have been one game, in general he was part of the spurs teams thet reguarly just weren't up for it.