Sol Campbell joins on one-year contract

Ericz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How does walking out on a £40k a week contract make it obvious that he was just after a final pay day?

The fact he went there in the first place would make me have serious doubts about his hunger. He dropped three divisions for nothing but the money.

We have our best defensive record in donkey's years, a settled back four for the first time in absolutely ages. What we need is cover in case of injury. Not a big name who will expect regular games and possibly a first team salary to go with it.

Again, how can he have gone their for nothing but the money if he then walked away?  Obviously if he only wanted the money he'd have stayed.  Didn't say we should sign him by the way.  I just can't see the logic in saying he went to Notts County purely for money.

Teasy the two dont have to be linked ffs. He went for the money & that long contract he didn't go there to sample League 2 or fill a lifetime ambition to play in the same side as Lee Hughes. But once there reality set in & the wedge they paying him no longer mattered & he wanted out.

Seems to me he went there for three reasons.  Money, the ambitious plan they fed him and to get into coaching.  When the reality of the situation didn't match the promises he fucked off.  I bet the money was actually the only thing that did match his expectations :lol:

Rubbish IMO, seems to me he went their for three reasons.  One, money, two because of the ambitious plan they fed him and three to get into coaching  When the reality of the situation didn't match the promises he f***ed off, simple as that.  The only thing that did actually match his expectations WAS the money ffs so the fact he left shows that wasn't his only reason for going.

What shite. Why did he not quit on 02/09/2009 after the T/D? Where did you pluck this  coaching thing from? It is no surprise he left a few days after his 1 game for them as I said when REALITY hit or should I say a forward like Paul Mullin.

What does him not leaving the day after the transfer deadline prove?  The bloke went to Notts County for various reasons and he left for various reasons.  IMO he wasn't in it for nothing but the money or he wouldn't have fucked off so quickly, people who are in something for nothing but money don't tend to walk out quickly when the money is as promised.  If you don't agree then great, but its my opinion.  If you're trying to convince me that you're sure he went there for one reason and one reason alone and then also left for one reason and one reason alone then I'm just not going to bother anymore.

By the way, lots of articles claimed he was either going their as a player-coach or with the promise of becoming a player coach, wether he ended up in that role I don't know for sure, I do remember Errikson mentioning it though.

Well, if we get Kilgallon, id say he is a backup this year, with a view to selling Colo in the summer to ease the wage bill...

Kilgallon is about 2 years younger than Colo, is he alot worse considering he'd be on about a third of the wages Colo is on now? He has looked better to me (in this league anyway)

How does walking out on a £40k a week contract make it obvious that he was just after a final pay day?

The fact he went there in the first place would make me have serious doubts about his hunger. He dropped three divisions for nothing but the money.

We have our best defensive record in donkey's years, a settled back four for the first time in absolutely ages. What we need is cover in case of injury. Not a big name who will expect regular games and possibly a first team salary to go with it.

An excellent post.

He'd likely do more damage than good.

Guest Heneage

Ferguson's pretty much laughed this off today saying he has no idea where it's came from.

Campbell will be waiting at the Travel Lodge breakfest bar, crying into his sugar puffs.

Well, if we get Kilgallon, id say he is a backup this year, with a view to selling Colo in the summer to ease the wage bill...

Kilgallon is about 2 years younger than Colo, is he alot worse considering he'd be on about a third of the wages Colo is on now? He has looked better to me (in this league anyway)

Never seen him play then eh.

• 7 months later...

Would still be a good signing imo considering where we are and the general inexperience at the top level at the back.

Plus, think about all that black power in just one man.

Captain, christ.  :facepalm:

i ain't sure on that tbh, yes hes been a captain before and to success but i never like the idea of someone new coming in and becoming captain immediately

Yep. Not to mention the fact it suggests he will be playing regularly. Don't get the whole 'club captain' thing either, what's the point in having a captain who won't play?