Sol Campbell joins on one-year contract

Ericz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Signing Simpson should be one of the first things we do in the January window.

Aye, itll be on loan though, he'd be canny in the prem as well but if poss I'd look at getting Beye back if we go up.

He is out of contract at the end of the season, Man Ure may look at trying to get a bit of dosh now rather than see him go for nowt at the end of the season.

Aye, itll be on loan though, he'd be canny in the prem as well but if poss I'd look at getting Beye back if we go up.

No thanks, not after Beyes performances last season in addition to his ridiculous antics in the summer.

He is out of contract at the end of the season, Man Ure may look at trying to get a bit of dosh now rather than see him go for nowt at the end of the season.

True but they aint gonna get it out of ashley unless its say 300k

It won't be a lot but I bet they say no more loan buy now or do without him until next season.

It won't be a lot but I bet they say no more loan buy now or do without him until next season.

at which point martin o'neill will step in and buy him to not play him  :pow:

I really hope those days are over where we signed egotistical, over the hill, overpaid and  disinterested players. At the moment we are showing teamwork (albeit not very good football most of the time ) but the only players we should be signing are those with a future ahead of them for when we get back to the prem. Sorry, but Sol does not fit that category.

:clap:

Face it folks, hes the wrong side of 35. on the wane.

KADAR is the future. Improving all the time

Chris Hughton wants Sol Campbell to sign for Newcastle United

Newcastle United manager Chris Hughton has confirmed that he is interested in setting up a reunion with former Tottenham colleague Sol Campbell.

By Rob Stewart

Published: 5:13PM GMT 03 Dec 2009

Free agent: Sol Campbell is much admired by former colleague and Newcastle United manager Chris Hughton Photo: REUTERS

Hughton, a coach when Campbell was coming through the Spurs ranks, has told reporters that he is weighing up a move for the former England centre-half who has now become a free agent again following his departure from Notts County.

Campbell, 35, has already expressed an interest in joining Newcastle United and Hughton has admitted he is one of a number of names that he is considering as he plans to strengthen his squad at St James' Park to maintain the Championship pacesetters' promotion push.

Related Articles

Roeder: Newcastle need to invest in new players

Harewood wants to extend Newcastle stay

Newcastle 3 Swansea 0

Gazza trains with Newcastle academy players to aid recovery

Steven Taylor proud of Newcastle's resurgence

Sport on television Hughton said: "Well Sol would be one of a number of players that, of course, we will be assessing over the next month because come the end of January we have to make sure that we have the right squad and the right players. Of course it is not only us that know about Sol's situation and it won't only be us who are interested.

The most important thing for us is that in that last hour of the window that we have a squad in place that will take us through the last period of this season which will be a very demanding period.

"It will also be a period where the other teams will be strengthening and deciding what they need as they address that last period of the season themselves. We have to make sure that we are right come that last day."

Hughton was speaking ahead of this Saturday's game against Watford at St James' Park, which will give his team a chance to consolidate pole position in the promotion race.

"Everyone is pulling in the right direction at the moment but what we have to make sure is that now we have gone through a phase in the season where everyone has done well and things have gone for us," Hughton added.

"The only way we will be able to sustain our run is to be able to do the same things. That is the players lifting the supporters and the fans backing us in the way they have done.

"We went through a period where we drew two games at home and lost twice away and it was always going to be about a reaction coming back from that and I could not have asked any more for the players.

"The job is certainly better when you are winning matches but along with that comes the pressure of sustaining it."

Sol:

Speaking yesterday afternoon, Campbell said that he has “a few offers” but appeared to suggest that his preferred option would still be United.

“The paperwork is now with Notts County, an agreement has been reached, but as yet they haven’t signed the documents and sent them off to the Football League. I am waiting for that to happen,” he said.

“My guess is that it will somehow coincide with the opening of the transfer window, and I will be free to play in about three weeks’ time. Where I am going to play? Well, that is interesting. I have a few clubs tabling offers at the moment, but one of them doesn’t seem to be Newcastle now.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/12/04/sol-unsure-of-united-intent-61634-25318695/

Well unless when he said 'one of them doesn't seem to be Newcastle now' he had a massive sad face going on and was giving it the :thdn: :weep: :thdn: I don't really see how his comments 'suggest that his preferred option would still be United'.

Glad it looks like we've ended our interest. He's 35 and Taylor and Colo should be first choice. Kadar has done a good job when he has come in and we can always get another defender in on loan.

Guest Stephen927

He'd only be back up here, so he should be paid like a back up Championship player. £10k p/w MAX, well over what the standard back up Championship player gets.

Guest Heneage

He'd only be back up here, so he should be paid like a back up Championship player. £10k p/w MAX, well over what the standard back up Championship player gets.

10K pw is not a backup championship wage tbh, its a back up Premier League wage.

After his farcical move to Notts County we should steer well clear. He made it obvious that he's looking for a final payday and although he left after one game, I think we'd be mugs to take him on.

We do have an issue with only two centre backs, and Kniz will be back at Blackburn soon, but I'd rather go for someone else or get another loan signing in.

We have an excellent defence in this division, a settled defence for the first time in years. Can you really see Campbell sitting content on the bench for 10 games on the trot? That's assuming he even stays fit for that long.

After his farcical move to Notts County we should steer well clear. He made it obvious that he's looking for a final payday and although he left after one game, I think we'd be mugs to take him on.

We do have an issue with only two centre backs, and Kniz will be back at Blackburn soon, but I'd rather go for someone else or get another loan signing in.

We have an excellent defence in this division, a settled defence for the first time in years. Can you really see Campbell sitting content on the bench for 10 games on the trot? That's assuming he even stays fit for that long.

How does walking out on a £40k a week contract make it obvious that he was just after a final pay day?

How does walking out on a £40k a week contract make it obvious that he was just after a final pay day?

The fact he went there in the first place would make me have serious doubts about his hunger. He dropped three divisions for nothing but the money.

We have our best defensive record in donkey's years, a settled back four for the first time in absolutely ages. What we need is cover in case of injury. Not a big name who will expect regular games and possibly a first team salary to go with it.

The fact he went there in the first place would make me have serious doubts about his hunger. He dropped three divisions for nothing but the money.

We have our best defensive record in donkey's years, a settled back four for the first time in absolutely ages. What we need is cover in case of injury. Not a big name who will expect regular games and possibly a first team salary to go with it.

:thup:

Guest Heneage

We should be looking to show faith in our centre backs. Neither have made any mistakes so why should we sign Campbell and drop one?