Things you think are great but are supposed to think are sh*t - Football edition

Cajun

Think it might have been said already - a one-sided game where a team absolutely annhiliates the other.

like last thursday

Aye, loved every minute.

Also; David Beckham.

Everyone loves Beckham though. He's easily the most popular England player.

Guest firetotheworks

Think it might have been said already - a one-sided game where a team absolutely annhiliates the other.

like last thursday

Aye, loved every minute.

Also; David Beckham.

I still think theres an equal measure of people who think he's shit, or some that think it's cool to not like him, these are the usually the least cool people you're likely to meet, and they also usually dont rate Lampard.

like last thursday

Aye, loved every minute.

Also; David Beckham.

I still think theres an equal measure of people who think he's shit, or some that think it's cool to not like him, these are the usually the least cool people you're likely to meet, and they also usually dont rate Lampard.

Beckham still gets the best reaction of any player when he comes on for Engalnd. But yeah your right by the same fans who have booed both Lampard and Cole whilst playing for England this year.

I have a quite a large hatred for Beckham, which is odd because I do rate him as a footballer. Think it's the fact that a load of lasses I know have a Beckham calendar and therefore claim to like football, even though I know that's not technically his fault. :lol:

The Allardyce era at Newcastle.

James Milner. Definitely James Milner.

Bellamy's a whiny twat, but I'll never forget that night in Rotterdam.

And World Cups/Euros with all the big teams there. The thought of Portugal, France or Argentina (a few weeks ago) not being there destroys me.

like last thursday

Aye, loved every minute.

Also; David Beckham.

I still think theres an equal measure of people who think he's s***, or some that think it's cool to not like him, these are the usually the least cool people you're likely to meet, and they also usually dont rate Lampard.

Beckham still gets the best reaction of any player when he comes on for Engalnd. But yeah your right by the same fans who have booed both Lampard and Cole whilst playing for England this year.

Cole is almost understandable considering what a c**k he is, never got why people boo Lampard myself hes one of the players I most admire.

As for Beckham for me its a mixed bag, there are quite a few things I don't like about him mainly the celebrity circus surrounding him and his wife (who is responsible for over 50% of it i'm sure) also i always felt he was a bit overrated as a player always a very good but never a great player. However having said that he remains an effective player for england to use if needed as his crossing ability is unmatched by any other england player and I think beneath all the celeb crap that surrounds him he's always struck me as a fundamentally good person and nice guy

Man Utd's away following.

It's a great site watching their lot packing out an away end.

Good one, their songs are brilliant as well, best in the business

Aye, used this one a few times as well to catch out people I know who claim to like football but don't really know anything about it. Always go for the standard "gloryseekers" line without knowing that their away fans can be fucking awesome.

Aye, used this one a few times as well to catch out people I know who claim to like football but don't really know anything about it. Always go for the standard "gloryseekers" line without knowing that their away fans can be f***ing awesome.

liverpool fans were known for that.......now that they seem to be dropping a tad it doesnt seem they're so great.

would man utd be the same way ?

Guest toonlass

:thup:

Aye, used this one a few times as well to catch out people I know who claim to like football but don't really know anything about it. Always go for the standard "gloryseekers" line without knowing that their away fans can be f***ing awesome.

I agree to an extent, but part the reason they have the numbers is they often don't have to travel because they're located all over.  You do see flags like 'Hartlepool Reds'.

liverpool fans were known for that.......now that they seem to be dropping a tad it doesnt seem they're so great.

I don't honestly know.  :lol: It just annoys me when people slag off their fans for cliched (is that a word? if so one of them slanty accent things may be needed?) reasons.

I don't honestly know.  :lol: It just annoys me when people slag off their fans for cliched (is that a word? if so one of them slanty accent things may be needed?) reasons.

it's easy to put out a good following and good showing when you are doing well and expect to win.

it's easy to put out a good following and good showing when you are doing well and expect to win.

Fair point, and we show that as much as a lot of teams, just think their fans get unnecessary stick at times.  :thup: As mentioned above, they have some very good songs.

Mark Lawrenson. There was a time when Lawrenson was one of the worst pundits in footy; no charisma, talked shite. A lot of that is still true, but when you compare him to the absolute dross channels throw out nowadays (particularly the BBC), he's one of the best.

The 96/97 (?) away kit we had with the orange and green stripes down the side. Only the shirt though; looked a bit ridiculous with the flourescent shorts. Wore that shirt as a little'un all the time though. I also like our away kit this season n'all. Tbh, i usually like the poxy ones. Aside from that rotten maroon/gold one in the Roeder season. But anyway, i'm digressing.

Beckham. Dunno if this should really go in here but i think there's a lot of people that don't like him. I'd still have him in my England squad like and i think he is a good man.

Replays. Dunno what people's opinions on this are, and whilst i can agree that some replays are over the top (ITV often have a needless amount); my Dad always goes apeshit at replays cos he's "missing the game". Alright, there are some exceptions where you might miss a foul or even a goal, but for the majority of the time, replays are being shown whilst the ball has been punted from a goal kick and is 20 metres in the air. You're not missing owt and i like to see shots and incidents from all their angles and whatnot. Obviously, being at the game live kicks arse compared to being sat on your sofa... but TV footy does have its benefits. Especially when it's teams i'm not particularly fussed about.

Stairs. Nothing builds the excitement like walking up the steps at St James', like. Especially when you're in Level 7 and all you've got is concrete infront of you for what seems like a day. Flies by though... one minute all you can see is parked cars and crowds of people underneath near the Milburn lobby thing... then all of a sudden you're at the top looking across the city over the top of the East Stand and the Gallowgate, and the turf seems like miles away. Love them steps me like. I mean, even in my season ticket seat which is pretty low down, there's a little set of steps you walk up - i look down when i walk up em so i can look up and take the stadium in, in one big look - if you know what i mean. Awesome stuff.

Roger Thames. In small doses, Thames makes me feel all warm and cosy inside. When i was 4/5, i was introduced to Newcastle by a couple of me Dad's old season review videos. And they were all Roger Thames. Makes me feel pretty nostalgic. He gets on your tits nowadays cos for stuff like that Magpie Magic DVD, or the 501 Goals one... it's just him sat in a studio dubbing over the footage and it's needless. But aye, in small doses he brings back happy memories of Paul Kitson (i assumed he was the fucking business when i was a little'un like) and Ruel Fox.

Nostalgic musings.

That really awful pitch we had in 02/03. The one where two thirds of it were covered in manky shit. Dunno what went wrong there but it's a reminder of how good a side we were back then. Terrible pitch though. Speaking of which, remember when Chelsea played Charlton at Stamford Bridge on what was essentially a beach? Think Ranieri was in charge at the time. That was funny, they won 4-0 i think. Curbishley was gutted.

On a similar note... shit foreigners we had, that typified my first few years as a Newcastle fan. When we were shite under Dalglish and Gullit, i was absolutely Newcastle potty - like most young lads are at that age about their club. I'm talking about the likes of Goma, Marcelino, Maric, Pistone, Dumas, Andersson, Charvet... and to a less-shit extent, Dabizas, Ketsbaia, Domi (who was just a wanker really, good player), etc. These players, obviously, were wank-to-average but i could tell you their individual favourite ice cream flavours when i was a little'un. Makes me smile when i hear about whatever they're doing nowadays.

On a similar note... s*** foreigners we had, that typified my first few years as a Newcastle fan. When we were s**** under Dalglish and Gullit, i was absolutely Newcastle potty - like most young lads are at that age about their club. I'm talking about the likes of Goma, Marcelino, Maric, Pistone, Dumas, Andersson, Charvet... and to a less-s*** extent, Dabizas, Ketsbaia, Domi (who was just a w***** really, good player), etc. These players, obviously, were w***-to-average but i could tell you their individual favourite ice cream flavours when i was a little'un. Makes me smile when i hear about whatever they're doing nowadays.

Oh yes! One of the things I weirdly remember from my childhood, when having a foreigner on your squad felt more extraordinary, is how excited I got for foreign signings with exotic names that turned out to be complete and utter wank. The Romeritos, Korneievs, Ekelunds, Cirics...

like last thursday

Aye, loved every minute.

Also; David Beckham.

I still think theres an equal measure of people who think he's s***, or some that think it's cool to not like him, these are the usually the least cool people you're likely to meet, and they also usually dont rate Lampard.

Cole is almost understandable considering what a c**k he is, never got why people boo Lampard myself hes one of the players I most admire.

As for Beckham for me its a mixed bag, there are quite a few things I don't like about him mainly the celebrity circus surrounding him and his wife (who is responsible for over 50% of it i'm sure) also i always felt he was a bit overrated as a player always a very good but never a great player. However having said that he remains an effective player for england to use if needed as his crossing ability is unmatched by any other england player and I think beneath all the celeb crap that surrounds him he's always struck me as a fundamentally good person and nice guy

I think that's pretty close to my own opinion of Beckham. Over-rated as a footballer but a decent enough guy.

It's the fuss around him that really irritates. In the last England game, when he had about 20 minutes as a sub, he was decent enough against poor opposition - some good passes, some passes that went astray - but to make him Man of the Match was laughable. Capello looked bemused and hardly able to keep a straight face, and even Beckham had the grace to look embarrassed about it.

The Kop at Anfield on the rare occasion that they sing.

Being able to say 'I was there when we lost 2-1 away at Scunthorpe on a cold Tuesday night.'

like last thursday

Aye, loved every minute.

Also; David Beckham.

I think that's pretty close to my own opinion of Beckham. Over-rated as a footballer but a decent enough guy.

It's the fuss around him that really irritates. In the last England game, when he had about 20 minutes as a sub, he was decent enough against poor opposition - some good passes, some passes that went astray - but to make him Man of the Match was laughable. Capello looked bemused and hardly able to keep a straight face, and even Beckham had the grace to look embarrassed about it.

That's not his fault though is it - it was Steve Bruce who chose it.

Beckham. Dunno if this should really go in here but i think there's a lot of people that don't like him. I'd still have him in my England squad like and i think he is a good man.

Good at getting away with shagging around, certainly. TBF Posh is obviously punching above so he probably knows he can get away with it.

As far as I can tell the main reasons Ashley is disliked is that he's greedy and cheated on his wife. Becks fucked off to an anti-football nation to chase the dollar and is a big shagger. Good guy?